IYO What is a " dog " scenario?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Finally did the ASLified expression " let sleeping dog scenarios lie " and got to thinking about what constitutes a dog scenario. Is it incredibly lopsided? Too many SSRs? Bland or boring?

So what for you is a dog scenario? A specific scenario? Types, such as armor heavy? Whatever is a dog for you.

I don't recall using the term much. There were scenarios in playtesting that just didn't work. Fish and Perry were talking about A Good Party and all the changes it went through in playtesting. Fish felt that it never worked.

That would be my choice for a dog, one that doesn't work. Even that is not a strong opinion. I like dogs. I really like cats. Most animals really.

What would a " cat " scenario be? 🤔🙄

Colonel Cuervo just shakes his head.

Thanks for any input. Again too tired to sleep. Btw if anyone has any input on the expression " so fluid it would make water blush " I would appreciate it. That was used in another thread. I had never heard it and just loved it. Trying to ASLifie it led to all this. With Colonel Cuervo's help.

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
From what I read on forums, it is a scenario so badly balanced that it is no challenge: a given side will win and the other lose 90% of the time.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
From what I read on forums, it is a scenario so badly balanced that it is no challenge: a given side will win and the other lose 90% of the time.
This, or the scenario is only fun to play by one side and boring to the other.

An example could be one of those 'extinction'-type VC: One side attacks with all the toys while the other one sits holed up in some place with hardly any options besides rolling MCs and waiting until it is over.

For many, this type of scenario, in which one side has all the fun an the other none is a 'dog' even if it is balanced in the final outcome of wins & losses.

von Marwitz

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
By the way, IIRC there was a thread called "Cat / dog scenario" or something like that, years ago. Perhaps some forum search should take you there, I recommend checking it, I remember it was an interesting discussion about scenario preferences.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
By the way, IIRC there was a thread called "Cat / dog scenario" or something like that, years ago. Perhaps some forum search should take you there, I recommend checking it, I remember it was an interesting discussion about scenario preferences.
I will check that out! Thanks!

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Another possible definition: a dog scenario is a scenario with a lot of orchards and woods, which make a lot of bark.
Not speaking of the use dogs make of tree trunks - and lampposts too, I reckon.
Lol very good!🥰

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
This, or the scenario is only fun to play by one side and boring to the other.

An example could be one of those 'extinction'-type VC: One side attacks with all the toys while the other one sits holed up in some place with hardly any options besides rolling MCs and waiting until it is over.

For many, this type of scenario, in which one side has all the fun an the other none is a 'dog' even if it is balanced in the final outcome of wins & losses.

von Marwitz
In the non-ASL world, some people call these D.I.P. scenarios, for "Die In Place".

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Very seldom have I seen or played scenarios like this or if there are some they would have to be pretty small and shot scenarios (e.g. not very well thought out). As with any defense one should always have a reserve element and plan for couterattacks. Now there are usually always going to be DIP positions within a defense but an active defense is usually preferred and much more effective.