It's official -- Bioshock is coming to the big screen

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Variety is reporting that Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Caribbean, The Aviator) will be taking the reins to turn Bioshock into a movie. Bioshock was a great game will an unusually deep back story, and it would be a shame to see Hollywood butcher this the way they do almost all movie adaptations of games. The Doom movie, almost completely unrelated to the games, was so bad it was about as much fun as staring at the sun with binoculars. Let's hope Bioshock fares better.

Gore Verbinski said:
Fans of the game will not be disappointed. Of course, it's just like anything else that you adapt. If you create a film from a game you have to break some of the game's rules and do the best job you can, because they're completely different. We can’t possibly put 30 hours of gameplay into a two hour movie. So we have to make some tough choices.

We want to take all the strengths from the property. Of all the games I’ve played, this is the one that I felt has a really strong narrative.
According to the article, Verbinski plans on making an R-rated movie.

http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2008/05/gore-verbinski.html

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why won't they make Warhammer 40K into a movie?!? Why, why, why?!?!? :hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit:

KingNothing12

Reaction score
Country
llRomania
I have a feeling the bioshock movie is going to suck as bad as the gears of war movie when that comes out.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Variety is reporting that Gore Verbinski (Pirates of the Caribbean, The Aviator) will be taking the reins to turn Bioshock into a movie. Bioshock was a great game will an unusually deep back story, and it would be a shame to see Hollywood butcher this the way they do almost all movie adaptations of games. The Doom movie, almost completely unrelated to the games, was so bad it was about as much fun as staring at the sun with binoculars. Let's hope Bioshock fares better.

According to the article, Verbinski plans on making an R-rated movie.

http://weblogs.variety.com/the_cut_scene/2008/05/gore-verbinski.html
Only saw a friend play the game for a few minutes and it was impressive looking. Another game that looks like would make a good movie along the lines of Bioshock would be Penumbra. And it being R-rated means there will be blood...lets hope he holds nothing back...and no cheesy cgi.

Why won't they make Warhammer 40K into a movie?!? Why, why, why?!?!? :hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit:
What part of the universe would be logical to cover without making it too hokey??

I have a feeling the bioshock movie is going to suck as bad as the gears of war movie when that comes out.
Well the Pirates series was really fun and entertaining and Gore seemed pretty candid and straight forward in the qoute Don used so I'd suspect he'd do a pretty good job giving the game some justice...we'll just have to wait and see.

Beat

Reaction score
Oh, crap. This. Is. Gonna. Suck.
-Though I secretly wanna see big screen harvesting of the girls, >.>