Its nice to be back!

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Doc,

Great to have the forums back. It will take a while to get used to the changes. Keep up the excellent work. I just subscribed. Did the old forums have that option? I don't recall it. I certainly get 50 bucks worth of value from Gamesquad. Looking forward to the continued upgrades.

Mike

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been using Xenforo on a couple of other forums as a regular member for about a year now and have found it a big improvement from a user perspective.

SNIP
Thanks for your work on this site. We all missed it.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Is it just me or did the various Clubs disappear? Not much action on the Cardboard ASL Via Skype Club, but I still occasionally found opponents through the membership list. Is there a way to access these old Clubs or is it possible to create new ones?

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
.... The lack of contrasting colour a bit putting off, too much a wall of glaring white I find a bit hard on my eyes.
I too agree with this, and hope they powers address it.

BTW in the old system there was a little icon to alert mods...how does that work now?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
BTW in the old system there was a little icon to alert mods...how does that work now?
There is a "Report" button at the bottom of each post, next to the indications of the name of the poster and moment the post was made.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ahh, yes I see it. Thank you for pointing that out and explaining what it is for.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another Luddite question, how does one send a PM message now? In the old system you could find a link to do that on the persons profile section. Sorry to be such a drag...

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Another Luddite question, how does one send a PM message now? In the old system you could find a link to do that on the persons profile section. Sorry to be such a drag...
Hover over your avatar at the top right of the screen and select Conversation. You can then be prompted to start a new one with up to 5 participants. Instead of being one to a page, they will set up all on one screen in scroll fashion.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you Chris. I think I was able to try this out. So if I hit Like is that like the old 'rep' too. You can see by the series of 3 Luddite posts I don't surf into the ether much...

In any case rep Chris for me in old GS speak.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
The new forum...

It sux.

Hear me out.

Not much has changed regarding actual posting.

But now the subforums are harder to get to.

Now some functions are hard to find, if you were used to the location of the old ones.

And our Avatars dissappeared. Seriousy? We all lost our avatars due to this 'upgrade'? That fucking sux.

We have all the same functionality that we had before, except we lost the rep system, so actually we have LESS functionality. I've seen people praising that - they are fucking morons.

And for this we have to learn a new graphic presentation and interface, and lose our avatars. Wow! How fucking wonderful!

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The new forum...

It sux.

Hear me out.

Now some functions are hard to find, if you were used to the location of the old ones.

And our Avatars dissappeared. Seriousy? We all lost our avatars due to this 'upgrade'? That fucking sux.

We have all the same functionality that we had before, except we lost the rep system, so actually we have LESS functionality. I've seen people praising that - they are fucking morons.

And for this we have to learn a new graphic presentation and interface, and lose our avatars. Wow! How fucking wonderful!
Mate, if this is truly the say you feel, I suppose you really should talk to Customer Service.

Rgds Jack

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
An ASL player who doesn't complain about something is not a true ASL player.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The new forum...

It sux.

Hear me out.

It's one click. The whole list is pinned to the top of the main forum. How is this "harder"?

This isn't a valid concern either.

You didn't "lose" anything, you just have to upload it again. Takes 10 seconds.

We have all the same functionality that we had before, except we lost the rep system, so actually we have LESS functionality.
The "like" functionality is the same in effect, you like a comment, you click like. In fact, you can like the same person's comments twice in a row, so it is more functional, not less. So no more comments about rep guns jamming etc. that do nothing to add to the conversation. The positive feedback is also public.

I've seen people praising that - they are fucking morons.
The removal of the negative rep system is long overdue. Only cowards and trouble-makers used it.

Learning is the most important thing anyone can do in life. By contrast, complaining on the internet about things beyond one's control is probably the most damaging...

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's one click. The whole list is pinned to the top of the main forum. How is this "harder"?

This isn't a valid concern either.
Flippant remarks to dismiss a customer service viewpoint that differs from one's own is:

probably the most damaging...

The removal of the negative rep system is long overdue. Only cowards and trouble-makers used it.
That goes far to explain why "Rock, Sgt Dan" and "SLAAKATTACK" both had negative rep totals on the old forums... must have been due to extremely large numbers of "cowards and trouble-makers". I agree with doing away with it , but not for the reason you off-handedly chose.

Learning is the most important thing anyone can do in life. By contrast, complaining on the internet about things beyond one's control is probably the most damaging...
Suggesting that anyone dedicated enough to learn this game (and learn it well, as Mr. Hatfield has done for several decades), does not participate in learning experiences through life, does not sit well as a "parthian shot". But, to each their own.

KRL, Jon H

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Doc,

Great to have the forums back. It will take a while to get used to the changes. Keep up the excellent work. I just subscribed. Did the old forums have that option? I don't recall it. I certainly get 50 bucks worth of value from Gamesquad. Looking forward to the continued upgrades.

Mike
What he said...

The new format took some getting used too, but after an hour or so of curmudgeonly groaning I'm comfortable with it now. I have no problem with the subscription option, if I had any idea of how expensive this site was to operate I would have subscribed long ago!

My only complaint is a minor aesthetic one...I don't care for the new logo. I miss the Jagdpanther and the hoplite. The new silhouette looks like an AT gunner's acid trip while visiting the zoo. It is compelling though, since I can't identify which AFV has a turret like that. AMX 30? Panhard AML?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Don't get too comfortable with the new style. A lot of people have noted it seems just a little on the harsh side and I tend to agree, so I'm working on something a little less modern and a little softer.

Also, I do plan on giving members several color options to choose from, so hopefully everyone will be able to pick something they're reasonably comfortable with.

As for the rep system, is was archaic and badly needed replaced. The like system is much more powerful, instantly intuitive to most people, and less prone to stir controversy. As you accumulate 'likes,' these eventually earn you trophy points. And in turn, trophy points eventually get you promotions. Exactly where the promotion system will lead us I haven't yet decided. Bear in mind I didn't code any of this stuff, it's all just default options of Xenforo.

As for Xenforo itself, it's vastly faster and more advanced than vBulletin ever was. The conversation system is a huge improvement over the archaic PM system. In addition, each member will soon have a dedicated photo album and access to a comprehensive file downloads system. The signature system is much better, you can upload much higher quality avatars, plus the forum is now fully integrated with Twitter and Facebook, making it easier to share content.

But yeah, it takes some getting used to because it's different.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
What is also nice with the Like system, is that you are allowed to apply Likes as much as you want - the rep system often said you had to give it to other people more, etc., which generated the rather stupid (IMO, YMMV) "Please rep this guy for me" demands.

I would greet favourably some possibility of tweaking the colours of the forum theme : the separation lines between posts, for an example, are hardly discernible for my not-so-good eyesight.

As for getting used to the forum because it is different, that is what life is made of.