Its nice to be back!

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can I also note about here on the ASL forum that I liked the old delineation between Sticky Threads and then the main section. At present the current top thread in the main section runs into/blends into the last thread topic in the Sticky part, sort of makes it hard to see the flow of posts and threads.

Also in the sub-forums it would be nice if on the right side where the latest post show up if those thread names were a little darker, they too get washed out amid the white back ground b/c the font is light and the tone is light in nature.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
One minor niggle is that the contents of the ASL Off Topic, except the infamous Milia 18 (part 4?) have seemed to have disappeared, including my "Paul's Ponderous, Pompous, Pedantic ..." (can't remember the exact name, I called it my PPPPPPP or P7 thread) have disappeared, at least I can't find it. There was some useful ASL/history related stuff in it and I occasionally added to it, a sort of ASL+History blog.

While I welcomed the 'like' as being more 'democratic' than the old 'rep' system, the ability to rep the same person (for different posts) without having an interminable wait is a big plus.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Can I also note about here on the ASL forum that I liked the old delineation between Sticky Threads and then the main section. At present the current top thread in the main section runs into/blends into the last thread topic in the Sticky part, sort of makes it hard to see the flow of posts and threads.

Also in the sub-forums it would be nice if on the right side where the latest post show up if those thread names were a little darker, they too get washed out amid the white back ground b/c the font is light and the tone is light in nature.
Yes, there was a CSS setting in vBulletin's old system which gave sticky threads a slightly different background. So far, I haven't found an option to do this with Xenforo and I'm trying to avoid custom code as it makes applying maintenance updates a PITA. But I too would like to have sticky threads a little more visible.

My eyes aren't as young as they were when I founded GS and I like big and easy to read. :nod:

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, there was a CSS setting in vBulletin's old system which gave sticky threads a slightly different background. So far, I haven't found an option to do this with Xenforo and I'm trying to avoid custom code as it makes applying maintenance updates a PITA. But I too would like to have sticky threads a little more visible.

My eyes aren't as young as they were when I founded GS and I like big and easy to read. :nod:
I'd settle for a thicker / bolder line just between the two themes...likely this falls into your code issue though. or maybe the stickies code have an italic look...likely code again...

My eyes are also not what they were.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

perhaps a simple icon add to the sticky thread title line might offset it a bit more? The software may well have a pre-installed selection of "marking icons" that would do it - a bright colored star, a post it note in ple yellow, etc, ad naseum... ")

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
There is a tiny 'pinned' icon, but its to the right of the thread 'box'.

Helmseye

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
No one should need to upgrade to subscriber status in order to upload an avatar. And from what I can see, you haven't upgraded. If you have and I'm just not seeing it, please let me know and I'll look into it further.

That said, the site is VERY expensive to operate and the support GS gets from members who elect to upgrade is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for making it easy to donate

Love the site!

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
After some digging, I found the CSS code for it so sticky threads will soon be a little more obvious.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Also I don't know how much effort/skill would be necessary to achieve it, but it should be possible to intercept incoming requests that point to the old URL structure and send back a redirect to the new-structure URL. That way links to the old URL structure embedded in old posts would not be dead.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You are running apache, no? It should be possible to create mod_rewrite rules to convert old urls to new. Having looked over the documentation I will say it may not be easy (because, among other things, you have to match against the query string), but it should be possible.

JR

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
How long does it take to learn all this computer/program/IT stuff? I haven't a clue about such things.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
How long does it take to learn all this computer/program/IT stuff? I haven't a clue about such things.
To learn any one thing takes a few minutes. To learn enough things to be proficient takes as long as it takes to learn any one thing times the number of things necessary to be proficient.

JR

c600g

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If the thread IDs haven't changed with the new software, then URL rewriting would definitely work.

Alan

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
To learn any one thing takes a few minutes. To learn enough things to be proficient takes as long as it takes to learn any one thing times the number of things necessary to be proficient.

JR
Not only that I suspect that you need to be mathematically minded to understand these things in the first place.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Not only that I suspect that you need to be mathematically minded to understand these things in the first place.
There is usually very little complex math involved, especially with configuring machines. Any complex math comes from the application requirements. There is occasionally simple math like figuring out the coordinates on screen.

JR