It's happening again (malwarebytes + gamesquad)

Neal

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I get this occasionally, but it's been going for a week solid now. Why is this site always flagged? Makes me a bit hesitant....

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Can you tell the software that you know it is a safe site?

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
To me, it is six of one, half a dozen of the other. You know this site is safe. Only the virus protection doesn't know.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
The "issue" is how do we know that 'this site' is actually 'this site.' A certificate will do nothing for viruses and malware, it's about proving (amongst a couple other things) that gamesquad.com is actually gamesquad.com and hasn't been co-opted by nefarious forces that don't have your private key.

Trainspotter

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
A certificate would make sure that your password and all your typing isn't transmitted in plaine text. Everthing between your computer and the server is possibly readable by a third party. Having non HTTPS means you're sending a postcard - not a sealed letter! Think about that. It doesn't have anything in common that this site is save! Talking about a certificate is talking about having a save trip to this forum!

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So - we are looking for a “sealed letter” transmission to an open forum website, accessible without a login?

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
A certificate would make sure that your password and all your typing isn't transmitted in plaine text. Everthing between your computer and the server is possibly readable by a third party. Having non HTTPS means you're sending a postcard - not a sealed letter! Think about that. It doesn't have anything in common that this site is save! Talking about a certificate is talking about having a save trip to this forum!
Thanks for that information; I did not know those facts. This is definitely postcard material, however.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
The "issue" is how do we know that 'this site' is actually 'this site.' A certificate will do nothing for viruses and malware, it's about proving (amongst a couple other things) that gamesquad.com is actually gamesquad.com and hasn't been co-opted by nefarious forces that don't have your private key.
That is informative. If it was up to me...

Trainspotter

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
So - we are looking for a “sealed letter” transmission to an open forum website, accessible without a login?
I know this is an open forum. But as my experices shows, most people use the same password for every login.
As this website isn't secured via an HTTPS certificate - say the connection from your browser to the server - all data are transmitted in plain text. Passwords and personal messages as well.

Stealing passwords for a 3rd party would be easy.
Would it make damage? I don't think so. As long you use a unique password for every login you have...

Beside that - using a certificate is like nice manner these days as it doesn't cost anything.
At least It helps people ask for if their security tools alert. Lets see this a way to keep people make learn about nerdy stuff they use every day and don't understand.
Maybe some of you may think of this if another website asking for your credit card data having no HTTPS and your browser is showing this: 27914