Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Paper is much more durable. There are pieces of paper from the 2nd century. How many electronic documents have survived from the 2nd century? I thought not.

JR
All is in the quality of the paper.
Some novels from the seventies are already becoming yellow and will disagregate in a century.
Tablets are the most durable : clay or stone tablets dating about 4000 years are still readable (well, not the two that Moses shattered, of course).

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
All is in the quality of the paper.
Some novels from the seventies are already becoming yellow and will disagregate in a century.
Tablets are the most durable : clay or stone tablets dating about 4000 years are still readable (well, not the two that Moses shattered, of course).
You will step out of obscurity and into ASL folklore forever if you show up at any tournament with the ASLCTRB (ASL clay tablet rule book)!

von Marwitz

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You will step out of obscurity and into ASL folklore forever if you show up at any tournament with the ASLCTRB (ASL clay tablet rule book)!

von Marwitz
Gotta have a backup set though. I heard some guy stepped off the hills with a pair stone tablets and he BROKE them. Had to turn around and ask for another set!

Why he couldn't just remember only 10 commandments on the way down is beyond me ..

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
I have started considering giving/selling my binder-formatted ASL rule chapters A - G. The pocket edition is just so much easier to handle, even at my home office desk.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Paper is much more durable. There are pieces of paper from the 2nd century. How many electronic documents have survived from the 2nd century? I thought not.
Long term, you are 100% right (though I've heard that modern paper is not that durable after all, something to do with the way it's typically made). But over the span of a few years, say 20, an electronic version would be about as durable (assuming it's not just a file on some fixed support like a CD, but on a server somewhere that is being saved and maintained) and way more handy, not to mention incredibly easier to keep up to date.

Yes, paper is more likely to survive a collapse of modern civilisation. But I'm not sure it's that relevant a point. How much do we want archaeologists a few thousand years in the future to unearth an ASLRB, and interpret it as some codification of the rules of war in the 20th century?

I'm willing to pay for an eASLRB, despite already having bought the rules three times. And I'm willing to pay a monthly fee for continued access to a continually updated one.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Gotta have a backup set though. I heard some guy stepped off the hills with a pair stone tablets and he BROKE them. Had to turn around and ask for another set!

Why he couldn't just remember only 10 commandments on the way down is beyond me ..
Actually, he had to prepare them himself and Yhwh then wrote on them - the first time, Yhwh did all the work.
The tablets were not for Moses to remember them (he had an excellent memory, to the point of recalling the model of the worship items and give precise instructions to the workers and artists, once he was down the mountain), but they correspond to a typical covenantal-law code, which had to be written down and deposited in a special box, as more modern nations write down their constitution.
The ten commandments are not just laws, there is a superscript which defines who is the king making the covenant and there are indications of sanctions and blessings according to the respective transgression or following of the laws. Scholars have compared the whole transmission of the law with 14th century Hittite codes.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
How much do we want archaeologists a few thousand years in the future to unearth an ASLRB, and interpret it as some codification of the rules of war in the 20th century?
Well, my friend, who knows?

turm.jpg

I have been asked by a forum member to locate a replica of this Roman dice tower (original in Landesmuseum Bonn, Germany).

senet.jpg

Some people still (or better said - again) play Senet today.

So make sure to keep your ASLRB stored away dry. Optimally in a box infused in glass. Not only archaeologists will be grateful one day.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
And I'm willing to pay a monthly fee for continued access to a continually updated one.
Never ever! No monthly fees. No subscriptions.

You will not know if there are updates or not or what extent they might have. I am not willing to pay for what might be there. If there is an eASLRB, they could sell a yearly update (or whatever). That way, you know what you get. And you could opt out / skip any individual stage. But you have control over what you buy or not.

von Marwitz

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, paper is more likely to survive a collapse of modern civilisation. But I'm not sure it's that relevant a point. How much do we want archaeologists a few thousand years in the future to unearth an ASLRB, and interpret it as some codification of the rules of war in the 20th century?
That is very funny!
I just tried to envision graduate students writing thesis' on the Comprehensive Rout Example and Battlefield Integrity.

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, my friend, who knows?

View attachment 452

I have been asked by a forum member to locate a replica of this Roman dice tower (original in Landesmuseum Bonn, Germany).

View attachment 453

Some people still (or better said - again) play Senet today.

So make sure to keep your ASLRB stored away dry. Optimally in a box infused in glass. Not only archaeologists will be grateful one day.

von Marwitz
Sadly, no one is sure they are playing Senet today as NO ONE WROTE DOWN THE RULES! Guess that was stored electronically, and the bits since lost.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
EASLRB is great until you drop your tablet..............then you have a very expensive hunk of useless metal and plastic, and no rule book....................shucks should have brought the pocket edition. Also the pocket edition does not need batteries, or a power source to operate. darn ..............my batteries just died. Drop the pocket book............just pick it up easy no muss no fuss. Get it wet...............just dry it out and can be used again, like to see you do that with a 1500$ tablet:)

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Good points .. and reading is still easier on paper, especially when I scribble when I read.

Except that -
  • I have never dropped my tablet. My phone yes, not my tablet.
  • Except when I work in East Africa, I have never been able to use my tablet to battery exhaustion. There's always a chance to recharge at the end of the day.
  • My tablet hardly cost $1500 (What kinda tablets cost $1500??)
  • iPhone7 is waterproof now .. won't be long that my iPad will be. Then again, like I said, never dropped my tablet.
You seem to be worried about dropping things a lot? (...on the ground ... in the water.) There are pretty good cases - you can get an Otterbox for example, and fling your tablet clean across the room.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I look at it like this. I have books from my parents that are almost 120 years old, they are still in excellent shape. As long as I take care of them they still will be enjoyed. My cost for the books nothing. Tablets and e-books are always updated to a new version, etc. so if you have to pay 300$ each time for new tablet or e-book then who is wasting money. I have a ton of battletech novels each one cost me 5.00 so I have read them many times. The cost to me is still only a one time payment of 5.00 . If you have to replace your handhelds every 2-3 years at 300$ each time, plus a annual subscription fee, and the fee for the internet access then who is wasting money to read the same books. Me or those who waste money on something that has to be replaced every couple of years. And my book is recyclable, it does not contain metallic toxins, like lithium, cadmium arsenic etc. It does not catch fire when I recharge it. It does not need batteries or a screen to read it. And one bonus I can read it whenever I want to , not after I pay a subscription to get it. So despite the fact that I have to carry the rule book, at least I have the same rule book and only have to pay for it once. And I do not have to pay someone else to access my rule book. Hydro costs money, internet access costs money, subscriptions cost money. If I have to pay 45 dollars to get the pocket rule book, then that is all that I have to pay for. Just as a side. If you have to replace a tablet every year for 10 years, at 300 per tablet that is 3000 dollars wasted to read the same book I paid for once with 5 dollars. Hmmmmmmm so think about it $3000 vice $5 dollars to read the same novel. I will save myself the 3000 and carry my novel where ever I want and read it whenever I want.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Understood. I have a space constraint, so I have to go electronic on all my books. I also travel all over the emerging markets - and for a while Dubai and East Africa. I take my books & ALL my ASL scenarios / ASL rulebook / ASL magazines, newsletters, fanzines with me all over the emerging markets .. and to the gym.

I truly read whatever I want, when I want. (Right now it's Chas Smith's Bocage)

2 tablets so far, ever since I started using tablets. My wife's still using my first one - so it's going on its 5th year. These things last a while.

BTW Samsungs burst in flames, BOOKS catches fire. Tablets don't :D

Plus you realize of course we don't buy a tablet JUST to read. I do AAR graphics. I do presentation for clients. I listen to podcasts. I do my mail. I write my reports ..etc etc. I do a lot of other graphics on it as well.

Last edited:

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Oh .. I just bought a big stack of military history books .. got great deals for each (Black Friday Week Deal) .. and NO postage

Subscribed to a couple of magazine too .. electronically .. NOOO postage

Snowing yet? I should get in touch next time I am back in Ontario.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
For you that works then..........I lived out of a kit bag for 27 years, but I carried books , with no reliable power source in the field, (army) I just read.
I don't need handhelds, I can manage quite well with out them. If I want to talk to my family I use a land line. When I go camping, fishing, hunting I can live with out them. In fact if I could have it, I would live in a log cabin, with out electricity, internet, tv quite well. I surf the net to pass time, but enjoy the outdoors well away from humanity.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Oh .. I just bought a big stack of military history books .. got great deals for each (Black Friday Week Deal) .. and NO postage

Subscribed to a couple of magazine too .. electronically .. NOOO postage

Snowing yet? I should get in touch next time I am back in Ontario.
We are supposed to get snow tonight, but then this is what makes Canada what it is.............do not like the weather wait five minutes:)

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
We are supposed to get snow tonight, but then this is what makes Canada what it is.............do not like the weather wait five minutes:)
Believe or not I miss snow and I wanna get away from humanity too .. but I keep moving to places with more and more people over the years .

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
After watching the American election.....................or what I affectionately called the "Dumb and Dumber Show" , or the television version of "The Dummies Guide to Voting the wrong President".........I definitely want to get away from humanity............Individual humans are okay.............put them in a room with an Idiot and they are like lemmings running over a cliff............

DrDeath

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After watching the American election.....................or what I affectionately called the "Dumb and Dumber Show" , or the television version of "The Dummies Guide to Voting the wrong President".........I definitely want to get away from humanity............Individual humans are okay.............put them in a room with an Idiot and they are like lemmings running over a cliff............
This is probably the most obvious example of why we don't let Canadians vote here- Get back to me in 2 years when the American economy is back on track and cruising at 5+% GDP - Or if the immigration issue is a problem for you we'll gladly send them North instead of South but something tells me you would be singing a different tune then- Don't let the press coverage you saw convince you the American public didn't know exactly what it was doing - There was only 1 criminal on the ballot- We're gonna be just fine