It's Dealing With The Rules

Kithikor

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd like to hear from both sides. Which is better, the pocket edition or binder? Money is not the issue either.

Thanks in advance.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Definitely - DEFINITELY - BOTH! The binder RB is much better to read from (bigger print and easier on the eyes all-around). Plus it contains Chapter H plus any supplementary chapters you may have acquired (CGs, HASLs, TPPs, etc.). Some people even have these chapters separately bound, which makes the whole thing much more manageable.

That said, the Pocket Edition (containing the complete musical scale from Chapters A-G) is supremely handy - from quick reference, to a thorough read through "on the go." It also makes looking up rules in the binder easier as you can be reading from the big book while following any cross-references with the small book.

Finally, they say that the Pocket RB is updated each time it goes to print. Mine is pretty up to date, and contains very recent Errata, though I do not know how much of a factor this really is.

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Definitely - DEFINITELY - BOTH! The binder RB is much better to read from (bigger print and easier on the eyes all-around). Plus it contains Chapter H plus any supplementary chapters you may have acquired (CGs, HASLs, TPPs, etc.). Some people even have these chapters separately bound, which makes the whole thing much more manageable.

That said, the Pocket Edition (containing the complete musical scale from Chapters A-G) is supremely handy - from quick reference, to a thorough read through "on the go." It also makes looking up rules in the binder easier as you can be reading from the big book while following any cross-references with the small book.

Finally, they say that the Pocket RB is updated each time it goes to print. Mine is pretty up to date, and contains very recent Errata, though I do not know how much of a factor this really is.
Could we get some clarity on that last point? I thought I heard that the Pocket RB does not contain any Errata to the 2nd Ed. RB. But I don't have it so that is just an unsubstantiated rumor at the moment.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Could we get some clarity on that last point? I thought I heard that the Pocket RB does not contain any Errata to the 2nd Ed. RB. But I don't have it so that is just an unsubstantiated rumor at the moment.
My Pocket Ed. contains 2nd Edition Errata dated June 1, 2015.

One more thing, if you are buying the Binder RB for the first time, you should know that you do not get Chapters F and G. These come with For King and Country and Rising Sun respectively. So if you wanted to read these rules before investing in the expansions (FKaC is currently OoP), you should get the Pocket RB.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Oh, and one more thing... a belated welcome to the forum Kithikor (your avatar looks mighty nice)!

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
For quick reference, I find the pocket edition to be much preferable - it fits easily next to the maps on the kitchen table, or next to the computer for VASL sessions, or in the bag for going to meetings. That being said, for learning the rules (which I did a long time ago - long enough to have both editions of the binder at home) the binder version is, as said, much easier on the eyes (though not on the hands, if you have to be holding it).

Another factor is the fact (is it still true? hope so) that the binder version comes with a set of chapter dividers - and these dividers are not just handy play aids, they contain some information that is not in the rulebook. So if one goes with just one set of rules, the real choice is between the binder and the pocket plus dividers (which dividers are, IIRC, out of print, right?).

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Another factor is the fact (is it still true? hope so) that the binder version comes with a set of chapter dividers - and these dividers are not just handy play aids, they contain some information that is not in the rulebook. So if one goes with just one set of rules, the real choice is between the binder and the pocket plus dividers (which dividers are, IIRC, out of print, right?).
Good point, Philippe!

BTW, I don't know about the dividers being OoP for separate purchase, but I did just get a brand new set with HP.

Kithikor

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh, and one more thing... a belated welcome to the forum Kithikor (your avatar looks mighty nice)!
Thank for the welcome! Thank you for the info!
So, pocket edition, Beyond Valor, binder edition...got it!
(That beer was my son's "first" legal beer)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I thought I heard that the Pocket RB does not contain any Errata to the 2nd Ed. RB.
Not exactly.
It has all the replacement pages published up to Hakkaa Päällë, and has the list of errata (not integrated in the text).
MMP wanted to avoid making a 3rd edition : the idea is not to make the Pocket rulebook mandatory or superior over the binder rules.
Except for the dividers, I find the Pocket RB much more handy.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
It has all the replacement pages published up to Hakkaa Päällë, and has the list of errata (not integrated in the text).
And that list has all the errata that has been published up to (and including) ASL Journal 10. So the errata from ASL Journal 11 is not in that list.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
One more thing, if you are buying the Binder RB for the first time, you should know that you do not get Chapters F and G. These come with For King and Country and Rising Sun respectively. So if you wanted to read these rules before investing in the expansions (FKaC is currently OoP), you should get the Pocket RB.
Chapter F came in West of Alamein and it is not included in FKaC. The 2nd Edition of Chapter F will be published in the updated version of the Italian module.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Chapter F came in West of Alamein and it is not included in FKaC. The 2nd Edition of Chapter F will be published in the updated version of the Italian module.
Oops! Sorry for the misinformation - I got mine with WoA, I always assumed it was now packaged in FKaC. One should never assume...:facepalm:

Kithikor

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry, Philippe D. I didn't mean to leave you out. Thank you for your input as well!

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not exactly.
MMP wanted to avoid making a 3rd edition : the idea is not to make the Pocket rulebook mandatory or superior over the binder rules.
Except for the dividers, I find the Pocket RB much more handy.
When you say "list" I presume that means the content of the Errata (through J10) as well as a list of them, just printed separately at the back (or front)? The actual Errata pages available from the website, perhaps?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Printed on pages of the rulebook, yes.

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Excuses to open your wallet wide. Campaign Games, Historical ASL modules (like Red Barricades), Third Party Products.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
eASLRB is the real answer. Paper is so 3rd century. -- jim