Country
llCzechia
You getting back into the hobby?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yep and sold most of my collection so back to getting it all back together once more.

Friends told me I would be sorry I sold it one day...
Ah, what do they know? Look at all the fun you're having picking up the "new" everything and having fun with the anticipation of waiting for the latest re-release (they're probably doing the same anyway, waiting to replace their older editions).

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Yep and sold most of my collection so back to getting it all back together once more.

Friends told me I would be sorry I sold it one day...
Well, those who do come back and have sold their kit all lament that malefaction...

Getting a complete kit together again is a costly undertaking, especially as some modules are always out of print and at times only available at outrageous prices via eBay etc.

The good news is that reprints of 'out of print' modules happen much faster (though still it might take years) than in the old days of AH.

The good news is as well, that getting back to it gives you the chance to start off with a 'proper' counter storage system right from the start - which will in the end save you much fuss and money. There is good database around on storage systems (RAACO, Plano mostly) and how to get started. As an example I might refer you to my own article on a RAACO system, which provides rather thorough inside about things to consider when you do things 'right'. I wrote that a couple of years ago when I was searching the net for just such an article and didn't find one. Had it existed, it would have saved me LOTS of time. In addition to that, there are files to be found that provide complete sets of labels for various storage systems - again, this can save you LOTS of time. I have created one of these Label sets as well and will provide links below.

Note:
My system does not incorporate the 'Forgotten War' core module 15 (Korea) nor the Free French/Vichy French counters of 'Croix de Guerre 2nd edition' core module 10a. Still, it will provide a fine starting point for a RAACO storage system that could be adapted to your needs.

The general article on how to set up a storage system in general and a RAACO system in particular can be found for download here.

von Marwitz

Chris Bryer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LOL: you could always point out the vault she calls a closet; noting the heaps of shoes, tones of jewelry, shelves of cosmetics, scads of jumpers, jackets, & etc
What about my garage full of backpack hunting and camping gear and my extra full gun safe? How do I get around that? Any help is appreciated.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
What about my garage full of backpack hunting and camping gear and my extra full gun safe? How do I get around that? Any help is appreciated.
Backpack and hunting gear needs to be linked to an advanced communications strategy the key of which is the message that you - make that she - needs that gear to prevent you from developing a paunch. Your extra full gun safe is no problem as it should be locked, your wife is probably not interested in guns, so it is just a 'black box'.

If you have the option for a separate garage for the car of your wife, it would save her - make that you - the embarassment to expose her to all of your kit. What you don't see ain't there... It works for the biggest problems of the world: Climate change, famines, war. So it should be no problem that the lack of sight to your non-ASL toys will work the same way.

Now, we are getting there... As you, poor man, apparently have no hobbies and vices (Did anyone ever see backpack, hunting, and camping gear or guns?), your wife will conclude that you must do something. Spouses at rest never do for a wife. It is always a good thing not to give you too much opportunities to be distracted by other females, though, so you cannot be allowed to be too outgoing.

If she proposes undesirable hobbies for you such as jogging, yoga, zumba, Tai-Chi etc., this is the time for you to point out that all of these are splendid ideas and that your colleague did the same and made fast friends with a group of attractive very likable and active young women, that even help him with doing the yard since a couple of weeks.

Say that you will indeed consider yoga, or maybe that boardgame that you played a couple of years back as it provides a similar mental balance as yoga, now that you think of it. Your wife will now encourage you to play the boardgame, and as a compliant husband you do, of course, agree.

As not to block the kitchen table, which is needed, it goes without saying, for more important things, you propose that you will find and clear a small spot in the basement. This is just as well, as your wife knows that silly board games belong into the basement. You have now official sanction by your long haired general to carve out a man-cave in the basement where you can agglomerate ASL stuff out of sight. The basement might be closer to the storage fridge with the beer, too. Or to the wine cellar in the East wing of the castle in case of Oberst von Marwitz if your tastes are more delicate.

The added benefit is that your wife knows that board games are cheap - she knows board games passing by the shelves at Wal-Mart while on her way to the cosmetics section. Luckily, she has no inkling that ASL is an other beast of board game, into which you can sink serious money - just as you don't have an inkling that she never actually buys her cosmetics at Wal-Mart but at other, much more exquisite places, into which she sinks serious money.

BUT - if she believes ASL is too expensive, you can always offer to resume backpacking. And hunting. And camping. And Guns...

I hope this communications strategy will pave your way back into the ASL hobby just like a Jagd-Tiger through a flowerbed of tulips.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
given the Times, those things are looking more and more like wise investments
A yet wiser 'investment' might be to drop a number of (anti-) social media. The immediate pay-off would be time which you can't buy for any money in the world and almost certainly less polarization of society, which could make the thought of guns as a necessary precaution in the interaction with those of opposite opinion the absurdity it should be.

We have seen to what the clash of ideology and absence of reason and truth can lead to. Our grandfathers and greatgrandfathers were in the thick of it killing each other and paying the price for such follies. I'd rather restrict such things to the cardboard version of it.

von Marwitz

Khill

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A yet wiser 'investment' might be to drop a number of (anti-) social media. The immediate pay-off would be time which you can't buy for any money in the world and almost certainly less polarization of society, which could make the thought of guns as a necessary precaution in the interaction with those of opposite opinion the absurdity it should be.

We have seen to what the clash of ideology and absence of reason and truth can lead to. Our grandfathers and greatgrandfathers were in the thick of it killing each other and paying the price for such follies. I'd rather restrict such things to the cardboard version of it.

von Marwitz
I agree with you here for sure but the things mentioned above can feed your family