Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Apart from the 447, aren't those German unit values - and were there Italian SS?

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
As previously suggested elsewhere, if the champions of a revised OB for the Italians want to make their case to MMP, now is the time before the Hollow Legions reprint comes over the horizon. Tuomo Lukkari and Lars Thuring have set the precedent for this with the Finns. Given their success, a similar effort will need abundant source material, ample design creativity and a honcho to drive it. Just one player's voice from out here in the middle of the Pacific, but I'd certainly support the attempt.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I was thinking more along the lines of an elite Italian AP with a counter sheet. I only have two draft scenarios at the moment and working on another project for MMP so don't expect anything for a long time. Glad my article inspired some folks like Alan :)

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As previously suggested elsewhere, if the champions of a revised OB for the Italians want to make their case to MMP, now is the time before the Hollow Legions reprint comes over the horizon. Tuomo Lukkari and Lars Thuring have set the precedent for this with the Finns. Given their success, a similar effort will need abundant source material, ample design creativity and a honcho to drive it. Just one player's voice from out here in the middle of the Pacific, but I'd certainly support the attempt.
This certainly seems to be the established process for attempting to include 'elite' Italians in a MMP product.
However, using Haakaa Paale as an example, the vetting of 'source material ', playtesting, counter art changes, etc., would likely ensure a Ponyri-esque addition of another 10 years to the already glacial Hollow Legions reprint process.

GeorgeBates

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llJapan
This certainly seems to be the established process for attempting to include 'elite' Italians in a MMP product.
However, using Haakaa Paale as an example, the vetting of 'source material ', playtesting, counter art changes, etc., would likely ensure a Ponyri-esque addition of another 10 years to the already glacial Hollow Legions reprint process.
xenovin said:
I was thinking more along the lines of an elite Italian AP with a counter sheet.

This sounds like a better idea.
You may be right about the ketchup in the development bottle, although the past doesn't have to be repeated. On the other hand, even the slow flow might yield tasty results. <cue Carly Simon now>

Even in an Action Pack, if it's going to be official it will need rules pages in addition to counters and scenarios. Sources must be checked. Playtesting has to happen either way. Also, if you want the units to stay in print at some point the rules need to make it to a rule book re-print or new edition, and the counters would need to go into later printings of the module.

There are probably two questions a champion needs to answer clearly when considering publication:
  1. How broad a cross-section of Italian units and engagements would be covered under these revisions?
  2. Assuming the answer to 1. is, "a significant cross-section," then the next questions is, will the revisions provide a compelling improvement in historical accuracy, playability and FUN?
If there is a case for "Yes" to Question 2, you probably have something worth investing in that other players will want to support. From here, it appears there is enough interesting content here to merit a deeper look. Hope you decide to pursue further.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was thinking more along the lines of an elite Italian AP with a counter sheet. I only have two draft scenarios at the moment and working on another project for MMP so don't expect anything for a long time. Glad my article inspired some folks like Alan :)
you could always reprint AP 3 and add in a counter sheet for the scenarios therein - ought to cover what you are identifying I think. ;)

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The counter sheet would just be half of it. You would also need to update the Chapter A Italians section which would have a ripple effect for the rest of the chapter. Probably looking at replacing 4-5 sheets of rules. Though I have to say that this is probably the most effective way of getting it out into the hands of players.