Italian Nationality Chart

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On the chart provided in FTC Pack 9 the Smoke Grenades column has 3 types of entries (not including just a dash).
First is for the FANTERIA - "Smoke 1".
Second is for the FOLGORE (post-4 September 42) and for the FOLGORE Recon (pre-43) - which is "Smoke (1)".
Third is for the FOLGORE (pre- 5 September 42) and for the X-MAS and/or FOLGORE (post - 4 September 42) - which is "Smoke (1)/(1)" and "Smoke (2)/(1)".

What are the extra footnotes for? Why are these not just "Smoke"?
What does the parenthesis around the 1 or 2 mean (vice just the number)?
What do the two numbers separated by the slash mean? I could see where the "(2)/(1)" would be for the 2 units listed which have different footnotes, however, the units with the "(1)/(1)" note only have 1 unit with a 1 exponent.

I have not found anything in LFT14 nor in FTC Pack 9 that explains this (but I am a bit hasty at times and could miss something).

Last edited:

apbills

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have another question about this chart.
The chart lists "FOLGORE (post- 4 September 42)" in its own row and again with the "X-MAS (1943+)" row.

I am assuming the second instance of this with the X-MAS squads is a mistake and that the FOLGORE post 4-September 42 should be using the squads listed on their own row. Is this correct?
The difference is the FOLGORE row gets a second boxed Elite 4-4-8 squad and the X-MAS row gets a second circled elite 5-4-8 squad.

Xavier 658

LFT Magazine Editor
Reaction score
First name
Xavier
Country
llSpain
Sorry for the delays, here are some answers. We will do our best to update the chart(s) later on:

For the Fanteria section, Smoke 1 refers to the smoke exponent of the 447 squads.

For the Folgore (pre 5 SEP 1942) section, Smoke (1)/(1) should just be Smoke 1 and refers to the smoke exponent of the 447 squads.

For the Folgore (post 4 SEP 1942) section, Smoke (1) should be Smoke 1/1 and refers to the smoke exponent of the 448 and 447 squads.

For the Folgore Recon (pre 5 SEP 1942), Smoke (1) should be Smoke 1 and refers to the smoke exponent of the 537 squads.

For the X-MAS (1943+) and Folgore (post 4 SEP 1942) section, Smoke (2)/(1) should be Smoke 2/1 and refers to the smoke exponent of the 548 and 447 squads.

The Folgore fielded two types of Elite squads post 4 September 1942 - 448 and 548’s. The 548s represent mainly recon, Guastatori (combat engineers) or other squads equipped with the excellent Beretta 38 sub-machine gun. With never enough sub-machine guns delivered to the front line, most Folgore squads were equipped with rifles and are represented by 448s.

Hope this helps...

Best,

X

kynken

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, finally good counters from my brothers from the old country. I am second generation Italian here in the states. My grandparents are from Norther Italy. They used to entertain Italian POWs at the Alameda Naval Base in Northern California. Now, unfortunately that great art doesn't make up for lame equipment and tactics.