Italian Campaign (Veers-Allies vs Silvanski-Axis) [COMPLETE]

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
T28

T28

Probably the last offensive action of the Axis.
Cut around the French lines near Padova.
A nice manuever, left the whole of my French Division unsupplied; however, it also doomed the offending regiment, which was destroyed, also unsupplied.

12/16-18/43 T28
Eighth Army:
The French took Padova.
Small, bloody, progress towards Brenner Pass.

Fifth Army:
Only a single battalion remains behind Allied lines.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Re: Italian Campaign (Veers-Allies vs Silvanski-Axis)

12/23-25/43 T30
Eighth Army:
With the injection of two fresh Commonwealth Divisions, the 4th IND ID and 1st UK ID, the front in northeast Italy was blown apart.
Three hexes were gained near Verona; considering it is now trench warfare up there, this was a good few days.

Fifth Army:
The last resistance in northwest Italy has been eliminated.

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium

hope you get your email problem fixed Wyatt

B-snafu

Reaction score

So---have the Germans sent in Otto with the gliders to get Kesselring out of Italy yet?:laugh:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

12/26-29/43 T31
Eighth Army:
New Zealand and Indian troops gained a few hexes north of Verona while the majority of 8th Army struggled to remove some dug in tanks northwest of Verona.
A large chunk of the German resistance in northeast Italy was destroyed in a pocket west of Padova, including the HG Jager Rgt, 15th PzGr Rgt-GE 29th PzGrn Div, 1045th Gren Rgt-GE 232nd ID, and the 955th Gren Rgt-GE 362nd ID (97 Tanks/TDs/SPs).
Venice was captured by British troops.

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium

The final act ... I wonder... did the Allies lose more men and equipment here than in the previous stages of the campaign?

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

12/30-1/1 1943 T32
Eighth Army:
New Zealand, Indian, and now British troops, of the fully rested 78th ID, managed to gain two hexes along the road to Brenner Pass; at tremendous casualties.
Two-thirds of the German 188th Gebirgs Division, the 136th Rgt and 139th Rgt, were destroyed as they attempted to stem the tide of Allied troops headed east..

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium

Happy 1944.
The defenders of Italy are a mix of various units. The only advantage is that the battle is on a concentrated front and there's still some arty left.
The Allies find themselves in a bloddy mess

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

1/2-5/43 T32
Eighth Army:
The Allies took two hexes towards Brenner Pass. I really don’t think the Allies would have taken these kind of casualties and kept going, in real life...
The Last German resistance, the 188th Gebirgs Division, was all but eliminated and French, US, and British troops are racing for Austria and Yugoslavia.

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany

So it's finally over now? PosRep for Silvain for fighting until the bitter end (wir kapitulieren nie! :clown:).

EDIT: Hm..i must first spread reputation before i can give it to Silvain..Any offers? We take €, SF, Yen and $ ..

Last edited:

Menschenfresser

The Amazing Rando
Reaction score

Veers, can you post a screenie of the situation briefing? I want to see the final score for your game. About two weeks ago I made a Mensch Mod version of this scenario (meaning to play it hotseat but never did).

It had only two changes, which I'd like your opinion on:
1) Upped the attrition divider to 12.
2) Upped the Allied Loss Intolerance to 200.

The first is designed to make the Germans more tenacious on defense. The second is to make Allied brute force more costly. I gather from your game you pushed them really hard and it would be interesting to see if 200 is enough (or too much).

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium

So it's finally over now? PosRep for Silvain for fighting until the bitter end (wir kapitulieren nie! :clown:).
Yup it's almost over... I only own about 6-7 hexes of the entire map
I've been squeezed with my back to the Alpes and Veers swung east, stormed Venice etc...
To quote Veers, "the Germans are toast":dead:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

EDIT: Hm..i must first spread reputation before i can give it to Silvain..Any offers? We take €, SF, Yen and $ ..
I don't know what gave you the idea that it was over, but, it's very close.
And yes, kudos to Silvain for toughing it out; he always does. :D

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

Veers, can you post a screenie of the situation briefing? I want to see the final score for your game. About two weeks ago I made a Mensch Mod version of this scenario (meaning to play it hotseat but never did).
As soon as it is straight up over, I will send you a save, Zac.

It had only two changes, which I'd like your opinion on:
1) Upped the attrition divider to 12.
2) Upped the Allied Loss Intolerance to 200.

The first is designed to make the Germans more tenacious on defense. The second is to make Allied brute force more costly. I gather from your game you pushed them really hard and it would be interesting to see if 200 is enough (or too much).
Well...to be quite honest, I'd through this one out as a playtest of anything except the House Rules. If you read the early goings on you'll find that while I absolutely did not break any House Rules (I even contacted Marc Custer to ensure my landing plans would not break the House Rules), I certainly (at least in my opinion) made use of options that the Allies didn't really have in real life.

A) I landed at both Termoli AND Salerno:
This is what I checked with Marc Custer on, and got his 'OK' for. This, in my opinion, was out of question for the Allies historically. This, combined with Silvain's descision not to try to (and possibly succeed to) eliminate EITHER the Salerno or Termoli beachheads (especially when all I had was Spec Forces holding Termoli), on turn 1, put me about a year ahead (having caused the Gustav Line [which historically held up the Allies until...what, May? 1944] to be a non-issue) of history, right off the bat.

B) I made frequent and crushing use of the in-game Allied airborne assets:
The Allies surely would not have been able to use their airborne forces to the extent that I did. I really continue to feel that the Allies need to have their airborne forces reigned in a bit.

So, while I don't necessarily think your modifications are WRONG, I likewise cannot be sure they are CORRECT, as I have yet to preform a proper playtest of the scenario. To that end, any takers to play the Germans against me, with a slight change of House Rules a) eliminating the possibility of a landing at Termoli, and b) limiting the Allies use of airborne forces a tad?
Or, I suppose, we could use your own mod in a playtest, Zac. Or, use your mod and modify the House Rules a tad, as I suggest above.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

1/6-8/43 T34
Eighth Army:
Brenner Pass has been breached!
Isolated pockets of resistance continue to be mopped up in northeast Italy, towards Yugoslavia and Austria.

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium

The last turns of this campaign.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada

1/9-12/43 T36
Eighth Army:
Only a couple of German units left.

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium

Threw in the towel on turn 37, or was it 38
I received reconstituted units though, but in a couple of Southern hexes Veers hadn't passed through, a bit wacko so we decided to call it a day.