It has begun...more or less

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was not so much what to write but whether to include new products at all, include them but have no write-ups, have write-ups of a selected few only, or something else. I really don't want to cough up any more money buying Critical Hit products like I have been doing just for the website.
Kickstarter! Let's all chip in so Desperation Morale can review "all the things".
;):whistle:?

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. I haven't decided how I'm going to handle new CH products yet.
Well unless you have unlimited disposable income to purchase every new(er) item that they seem to come out with each couple of weeks (OK, not really that often), you could entertain a practice of having others to do a review of them. Perhaps design an input form that establishes the parameters you want in a review and that would allow you to peruse it prior to publishing on on your site with a qualifier something to the effect "Reviewed by so and so and approved." The drawback as I see it would be two fold: One that a timely review is generated; and two, that the review stands the test of your standards. Food for thought here only.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
It was not so much what to write but whether to include new products at all, include them but have no write-ups, have write-ups of a selected few only, or something else. I really don't want to cough up any more money buying Critical Hit products like I have been doing just for the website.
Perhaps a single CH page titled "Where are the CH products" and the "Don't buy" review. I certainly wouldn't hold it against you for not purchasing them simply for review. Too much other good stuff to spend your money on. -- jim

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would just skip over CH products. I think people are intelligent enough to do some research, if not, then its their problem not yours. I still buy a few select products but thats my problem and if it turns out to be a stinker, well thats on me.

Thanks. I haven't decided how I'm going to handle new CH products yet.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well unless you have unlimited disposable income to purchase every new(er) item that they seem to come out with each couple of weeks (OK, not really that often), you could entertain a practice of having others to do a review of them. Perhaps design an input form that establishes the parameters you want in a review and that would allow you to peruse it prior to publishing on on your site with a qualifier something to the effect "Reviewed by so and so and approved." The drawback as I see it would be two fold: One that a timely review is generated; and two, that the review stands the test of your standards. Food for thought here only.
I'm not fond of the idea of other people doing reviews of CH things on my site.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Taking a lot of product photos and processing them takes many hours.
Switch to digital...

My opinion: Just do write-ups of what you have your hands on. No need to be the inventory manager of all things ASL.
The approach to the site has been inconsistent with the goals of the site from the start. As it evolved from a simple download site for player aids into a (useful) ASL Encyclopedia ("World of ASL"), the tone of the site remained antagonistic to smaller vendors which guaranteed they wouldn't cooperate or assist (for example, by sharing digital photos of their wares).

Maintaining a wide focus is far easier to do if you are "fair, firm and friendly" as Ric put it so well. Which includes communicating with vendors and responding positively to feedback.

buser333

Reaction score
Perhaps that's the key - NEW products get reviewed, reprints/reshuffles get ignored.
Though it would be nice for them to be mentioned, if not reviewed. This was probably the most value I found from the site when it was constantly being updated, though I can completely understand Mark's reasons for not continuing to do so. I had always been under the assumption that Mark's service was so valuable that the TPPs provided Mark with complimentary copies. Apparently, silly me. DM is invaluable for sifting through the morass of output from CH. Other sources (such as the Chronology of War - another valuable service) provide the same service to an extent, but Mark's detailed analysis has always been much appreciated in explaining the differences between past and current versions (or lots of times just pointing out that a newly-named release is just a recycled product).

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Though it would be nice for them to be mentioned, if not reviewed. This was probably the most value I found from the site when it was constantly being updated, though I can completely understand Mark's reasons for not continuing to do so. I had always been under the assumption that Mark's service was so valuable that the TPPs provided Mark with complimentary copies. Apparently, silly me. DM is invaluable for sifting through the morass of output from CH. Other sources (such as the Chronology of War - another valuable service) provide the same service to an extent, but Mark's detailed analysis has always been much appreciated in explaining the differences between past and current versions (or lots of times just pointing out that a newly-named release is just a recycled product).
Almost nobody has provided me with complimentary copies. LFT has done it a couple times. I think Schwerpunkt may have done it once or twice (but I may be mistaking those with contributor's copies). There may have been one or two other scattered instances. Critical Hit has definitely NOT (which is probably unsurprising, given most reviews of CH products are negative). Almost every item that is in the World of ASL compendium is one that I have had to purchase myself. This is not a problem with regard to those items I wanted anyway, but it's another thing when I am spending money only for the purpose of including the item on the website.

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mark

You have done a great job/service with your web site thus far, I think almost no one would really "miss" reviews of every CH product.
Just list what is "new" from CH and leave it at that.

Thanks!!
Joe

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
This is not a problem with regard to those items I wanted anyway, but it's another thing when I am spending money only for the purpose of including the item on the website.
I would suggest that you review what you want. If you become aware of items that you have not reviewed and don't have access to, you might add an entry on the site that says something like, "Item not available for review" or similar. That will cover things that are not available (e.g. very rare) as well as things that you don't wish to obtain. Perhaps you could offer to review items if someone made them available to you (e.g. loaned or donated).

JR

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do agree, but I would go further to say do not even bother picking up the new stuff. The new stuff I did pick up are:
Hell on Earth 1 and 2, this is a revised version of the Devils Domain kursk stuff. The maps have been revised
with much less grain to f*ck up the map as it was a problem in the old version. Still for 60 bucks with discount, it is a ripoff, You just get scenarios and "a map" (IE map panels). No counters.

Jerusalem Siege: Being that I am a glutton for punishment but do find the Arab Israeli wars so fascinating I picked up JS, With discount it is probably around 60 bucks. All you get are The maps for the city of Jerusalem, 8 scenarios and a CG No counters, you need Gen 48 (or some incarnation of that module) to use JS. Not worth it unless your hot for AIW stuff.

Genisis III: I primarily wanted the Counters from this one just because my counters from Genisis II were like an inch thick. What RT did here was split Gen III into two over priced modules, with Gen III I think you get 12 scenarios that use new maps (included in Gen III) and counters. To get the rest of the module you need to buy Palestinian Invasion (which even I passed on) There are two more follow on modules, one is Uzies war which takes place in 1967 and the is Megagok or some such name which takes place in 1973. All are dependent on each other to play and if your not an AIW fanatic, then I would pass on them.
As a side Note, if you like AIW stuff, your best bet is to find Gen 48 (the original, but the counters are awful)

Thunder at Melikhovo: Hill 216 Nord: The map for this one is super nice But the counter sheets included were fucked up, some were fieldgrue, some blue, some Russians were brown some close to orange and at the price he was asking even with discount was kind of a ripoff, but I am a glutton for punishment and my material weakness is your gain as I offer my thoughts on this shit.

Bitter Tag Push to Hannut 1940: Who can resist a France 1940 action? I cant unfortunately but for 49 bucks, the maps are nice and do include a nice set of armor counters. This is basically Gembloux the Faint but with a historical map no CG. Scenarios are just revised versions of the Gembloux scenarios. Once more, if you do not mind the usual ch screw ups and spending $$, then this is for you.

Lastly, I did buy CH Annual 4( CH version of Korea) only to find that it uses CH NKPA versions of the nationality vs what MMP put out. So be warned that this Annual does not support MMP's KWASL stull plus it uses its own maps.

As usual: BUYER BEWARE ON ALL CH PRODUCTS!

Mark

You have done a great job/service with your web site thus far, I think almost no one would really "miss" reviews of every CH product.
Just list what is "new" from CH and leave it at that.

Thanks!!
Joe

Last edited by a moderator:

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Almost nobody has provided me with complimentary copies. LFT has done it a couple times. I think Schwerpunkt may have done it once or twice (but I may be mistaking those with contributor's copies). There may have been one or two other scattered instances. Critical Hit has definitely NOT (which is probably unsurprising, given most reviews of CH products are negative). Almost every item that is in the World of ASL compendium is one that I have had to purchase myself. This is not a problem with regard to those items I wanted anyway, but it's another thing when I am spending money only for the purpose of including the item on the website.
I just assumed that complimentary stuff would "poison the water", so to speak, over objectivity. Otherwise, I would've sent you stuff long ago.

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just assumed that complimentary stuff would "poison the water", so to speak, over objectivity. Otherwise, I would've sent you stuff long ago.
No, that has no effect on me. If there's something I don't like about a product, it is very hard for me to shut up about it, even if I know or like the designer or publisher. Some people here may have some experience with that "very hard for me to shut up about my opinions" part.

David Goldman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, that has no effect on me. If there's something I don't like about a product, it is very hard for me to shut up about it, even if I know or like the designer or publisher. Some people here may have some experience with that "very hard for me to shut up about my opinions" part.

Mark,

We love you anyway!