Issue in Doubt - AAR

the-isz

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I’m still a newbie at this, but thought I would try a large-scale scenario. Here’s how it went down… (note: there are spoilers here, just so you know).

Turn 1

Initial plan is to establish 3 defensive fronts west of the village of Heustreu, comprised of Brads, M150s and Dragon crews. Based on intelligence, the decision is made not to try and take Heustreu as it is expected the East Germans will reach it first. The plan is to let the enemy seize the village and then stop the attack along the North-South highway, then look for a weakness and counter-attack

the-isz

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 9

The attack begins in earnest as the enemy’s lead elements pour out of Heustreu, directly into oncoming TOW and Dragon missile fire from the US central front immediately west of the village. Numerous enemy SPW-50s are destroyed near the highway just SW of the village.

Heavy US shelling has destroyed the only bridge SE of the village, bottling up large number of BMP2 and SPW-50PKs just east of bridge. Hammer them with air strikes.

Air strikes reveal large number of T-55 tanks advancing in the north, threatening a thinly defended north.

Appears enemy is probing river crossing to the south.

Southern M150s are performing well, destroying SPW’s deeply hidden within the village.

To-date, 1 Bradley lost.

the-isz

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 12

Attack intensifies with numerous T-55s attacking from the north while additional T-55s emerge immediately south of town.

In the north, Dragon crews destroy several T-55s, but are quickly becoming overwhelmed. There is a real concern of whether or not the north can hold.

M1A1 tanks arrive as reinforcements to the NW. Plan to use portion of US tank forces to reinforce northern flank at a rear area in case the northern defense falls (and protect my artillery units to the far west). Remaining tank force will proceed to the central front.

Southern-most M150s rip into T-55’s flank, destroying several.

An M-150 is lost to a T-55.

the-isz

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 13

Northern T-55 attack does not continue west as anticipated, but turns south-west. Now expect a head-on attack with my forces NW of town (northern defensive front).

To my horror, air strikes indicate a massive force of T-72 tanks moving west in the extreme south. Order central M1A1s to take a position to the west of main highway in the south to anticipate the T-72 attack, as well as pull back the southern-most M150s, losing 1 in the process.

Center is holding, but very worried about the north and south.

the-isz

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 14

Northern T-55’s press the attack. Dragon missiles in the north destroy several tanks as Bradley’s in the center, just west of town, pick off tanks and BMPs streaming across open fields just north of town.

To anticipate a T-55 attack on my northern front, I begin establishing a fall-back plan and develop a kill-zone at a dirt road intersection. Begin moving northern M1A1s to take up positions, as well as set up several infantry a Dragon units.

To the south, M1A1s stream down the main east-west road to quickly take up positions at a planned position in the south to head-off T-72 attack.

the-isz

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 16

In the north, the far western kill-zone is in place, anticipating the T-55 attack.

To the south, the lead elements of the T-72 attack reach the river.

Lose an M150 and a Dragon to T-55 and BMP fire in the north. TOW missile inventory is beginning to run thin.

It’s clear that this is the moment of truth.

the-isz

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 20

A decisive moment.

The northern T-55s do not take the anticipated bait (taking the dirt road to the west) but instead continue SW toward my central defense. Northern M1A1s move in, sweeping in behind the advancing T-55s and cutting them to ribbons.

To the south, the T-72s rush out into the open west of the river and directly into M1A1 and M150 TOW fire. Dozens of T-72s are destroyed in quick succession.

The main East German onslaught as been stopped. US armored units begin counter-attack, sweeping forward to mop-up. Heavy US shelling north of town, routing ground troops.

1 M150 and 1 Brad is lost.

the-isz

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 25

Counterattack continues

US forces now control town of Heustreu and all land west of river with little fighting as most enemy ground troops are routed from heavy shelling. Lead elements of US forces have crossed the river far south of town and are pushing north. To the north, US forces are crossing the river where they will turn south-east to catch any escaping enemy on the main road.

1 M150 is destroyed by RPG fire while crossing the northern portion of river.

the-isz

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Turn 28

US forces have pushed to the extreme east, capturing key Victory Point locations and destroying all remaining (escaping) armor. All that remains is routed infantry and crews.

the-isz

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
End

Entire map under US control and all enemy APCs, AFVs destroyed. All victory hexes captured.

Enemy loses: 922 men, 80 APCs, 112 AFVs.
US loses: 42 men, 7 APCs, 3 AFVs, 1 aircraft shot down.

Halfway through this scenario, I was biting my nails, fully expecting the northern front to collapse as I ran out of missiles with only 5 M1A1s as back-up (as most of my tanks had gone south to face the T-72 threat). In retrospect, if the T-55s would have taken the bait and entered my planned kill zone, they would have been wiped out from infantry LAWs, M1A1s and remaining Dragon crews…but worrisome nonetheless.

Also was concerned that perhaps I had established my southern tank defense TOO far south and that the T-72 assault would swing north, forcing me to run after them, exposing my tanks to fire (perhaps from unseen RPG units).

Surprisingly, the enemy artillery was mostly ineffective against my defenses. Also was disappointed in the success of my air attacks, though if they had not spotted the T-72s in the south, the outcome would have been far different.

Very fun scenario.