macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
ISRAEL GOES TO WAR PRODUCT RV​

Up front I would like to declare that though I do buy CH, I am not trying to do more than describe my purchases for others and anything akin to valued judgements that enable the CH bashers to “lock and load” – I would ask them not to visit the CH website here in this thread

In the absence of Mark P, I felt the need to describe how different the CH experimental engine has gone in this area of war gaming and to describe the ASL version as best I can.

This area has really gone a long way now in material, design and comprehensive covering– its early beginning and additional products have been massively superseded both for my three phenotypes of ASLers I use below (you can be more than one): the Historical Buff, the Collector and; the ASL player.

Bob O’Conner should be recognised here – It was his dream it is said. I don’t know him but I do appreciate his efforts!

It is a MUST that you do visit Mark P’s site http://www.desperationmorale.com/product-tag/arab-israeli-wars/ . He does immense work as usual and my simple references to what was and what is will never be in his league.

I also mention in only a superficial way the previous CH products so I can use them for comparison but more just refer to what happened then they turned up on my desk – played a few – mainly solo back then but since out of print and well superseded – I have little to offer in my review of the past.

I personally am mainly an ASL player 80% now so I looked at these products through the eyes of someone who loves Tank Battles (I loose many so no expert) – aka tread head. I am also “King of Boxcars (just ask my opponents) and thus when a rule needs a lucky roll – I will roll bad….I thus will talk about my “feel” when I rolled the dice like – “pure infantry chewing with very difficult terrain to slog through” or “I tried to win with X tank versus Y tank and just could not roll low enough!”. I am never a very good historian but love to read and learn from the blurbs so maybe 10% there. The other 10% is collector – I am not a completest (I have skipped lots of CH products and never renewed many re-releases) but did love to have counters of new tanks (whether they are absolutely accurate only time will tell) – I was happy that the MMP official Centurion from Forgotten War (that I have played that one scenario with!) looks identical but alas we have only a few things like that to compare. I was hoping for a lot more of Russian gear versus US/Brit gear in FW. Though the scenarios I have played give you a feel for the troops, I was let down by MMP that the Centurion game was they leave the board and in reality NO tank vs Tank stuff made me really disappointed with FW – I think that was the historical reality I am sure. So to have M60s take on T55’s is just in principle a way cool thing to do. So finally for an ASL player like me, I appreciate a product that shows Cold ward battles. Even cooler is that the Arab nation’s take on British and US materials (like a hypothetical Russian versus NATO battle) so you get to pitch similar era modern tanks against each other!

Counter design is a tough mission and the original 2001 counters were very ordinary and the 2018 ones are very very flash! But to keep to copyright they are different I suppose to MMP.

Board design was also a big leap in the new selection– 25 new desert boards and a big map of Jerusalem (done heaps better that the 2001 version) in the new CH style as expected (a bit harder to stick side by side)

Scenarios- I would say 70% rehash but it hard to easily say – I would have to know what is completely out there (match up all re-treads from CH mags etc) so I only get to compare the Genesis 48, Genesis II and the 3 CH Mags and what they had – I will probably describe most and try and mention if we have seen them before. With 47 scenarios in the combined new products compared to the known 4 in Jerusalem 48 and 22 in Genesis 2 as well as another 6 known in CH mags (as well as the unknown things I never collected) – we get to experience not just the light the sampling we had in the Genesis II product like only 1 scenarios in 1973 and 3 scenarios in 1967 and 4 scenarios in 1956. We get a more extensive selection with 8 scenarios in 1973 (Valley of Tears), 8 scenarios in 1967 etc. This does very much expand the dream of a tread head like me of being able to play Soviet Tanks versus US and Brit tanks of modern eras,,,,, There are added toys like modern day anti-tank weapons with special abilities that are used in different types of scenarios like ones with them as the sole focus or using them in a combined arms approach. I do appreciate this attempt at experimental design for a WW2 system trying to explore modern combat. - On with the RV......

Last edited:

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
SO The Past is:
  • The Genesis/Jerusalem 48 product with only 4 scenarios on the actual City Map and 8 on boards (a lot on bd 9!) and 1 CG You have counters that are centred around 48 so infantry mainly and armoured cars, half tracks with the Kibbutz overlay
  • Genesis II Product. 22 Scenarios stretching into a smattering of 1956, 1967 and 1973 scenarios. Hugely more developed counters in CH style and the KB1 overlay again
So for the Historical Buff
  • Booklet exploring the multiple types of Israeli combatants and Arabs.
  • New rules trying to link historical issues like “Israeli tanks did not communicate well and always remain CE “. Rules for “Chicken Coops!!” and Tank Hunter rules with a twist.
  • The Ordnance and Vehicle notes are very long and detailed for both Israeli and Arab nations and explain the order of battle for lots of the scenarios well. I think for the history buff the number of individual stories behind how and why the tanks came about is very interesting to read.
So for the Collector
Counters and counters of so many types (only focus here on Genesis II – the Genesis 48/ Jerusalem had unfortunately poor counters so I will not focus on them) including
  • 1948 squads with different squad types that slot into the different Israeli and Arab nations. The support weapons, guns and tanks are a kaleidoscope of different nations purchased weapons
  • New planes – including different Jets are included
  • A historical map of Jerusalem (issues so needed renewing)
So for the Player
The scenarios evolve from basically another city type battle in Jerusalem into open “desert” warfare (not clear)
For me the Jerusalem was just basically infantry only in terrain that is really hard to get firepower into since its all stone and difficult to move around – I think just as it’s a completely different feel for VotG and RB city block compared to Festung Busapest – here we have another different terrain with low firepower troops – Like infantry battles with allied and axis minors you have basically a bit of a dirty infantry battle of attrition
Genesis II goes through a few years and terrain types and I will do them more detailed later when the scenarios are rehashed – I do this mainly because the boards used are geomorphic (Board 9 all the time) and in the new products the 25 new desert boards really replace the entire feel of the re-hashed scenarios so best to leave those details till later analysis below
The first 13 scenarios are mainly Israeli in defence and lots of light vehicles that are all WWII vintage. The Israeli having MOLs and Tank Hunters (rules now fixed and linked to MMP rules) means that they do get up close and personal with the different Arab nations. There is a theme of the Arab attacker has combined arms with light vehicles and AFVs and the Israeli hide behind bunkers, wire etc etc. If your into “Tin Can attacks” this is for you and not to use historical boards makes it’s a bit like fighting the IJA with eth Dutch (I can remember a few fro Blood and Jungle that look the same). There is one “JABO” if your into a plane versus combined arms attack.
Things improve for the tread head when the 5 scenarios from the 1953 Sinai battles – I will detail tem better later but the tanks (still mainly WWII) do increase in variety and we see a bit of the subject I wanted in FW from MMP – T34/85 versus Sherman’s etc – More on this later
Up a notch again for Tanks the 3 scenarios for 1967 give us M50/51’s vs T34/85’s and SU 100’s, Centurions vs Jordanian M47A1’s (little history blur in the booklet on that one)
The Final gem that again I will describe later in detail as it is repeated is about 6 M48A1’s that try and take on RPG-7s and a Sagger
So this is definitely the flavour we wanted and the New Products deliver!!!!

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
And The Present
General Overview

The Changes are LARGE:
No mix up now in the Desert boards or not – Different feel with different boards -??play test since same units

The Products in a Nutshell:

Genesis III
  • 28 page booklet with a detailed explanation of historical combatants, special rules, and a very detailed set of notes on SWs, Guns and Tanks with tables (repeated from previous but hugely upmarket version with corrections.)
  • QRDC with nationality capability and breakdown TK tables
  • 7 very well done counter sheets with units, playability counters, sw, guns, tanks planes (love the jets!) – For interest Israeli are an “off” green colour (like what happened to my US units after years of fading)
  • Boards G1 to G7 – Desert with hills, a town, a -1 depression and fairly open
  • Scenarios G3-1 to G3-14

• Magach 73
  • 10 page booklet with a detailed explanation of historical combatants, special rules, and a very detailed set of notes on SWs, Guns and Tanks with tables but focus now on the 1973 combatants
  • QRDC with TH and TK tables for the modern times
  • 2 very well done counter sheets with more applicable playability counters, sw, guns, tanks and helicopters for the 1973 period
  • Boards G8 to G13 – more desert with hills, a town, a -1 depression and less open
  • Scenarios M73-1 to M73-8

• Jerusalem Siege
  • 8 page booklet with a detailed explanation of terrain and the historical CG for the city
  • No QRDC
  • No counters
  • 8 200% sized hex boards that do the super city of Jerusalem – more on that later in detailed stuff
  • Scenarios Jeru48 1 to 4 and Jeru67 1 to 5

• Invasion Palestine
  • A 1 page sheet with extra history and terrain
  • No QRDC
  • No counters
  • Boards G14 to G17 – Desert with river, town and kibitz with chicken coops!
  • Scenarios InvPal 1 to InvPal 8 – with lots of THH’s to use versus Arabs tanks!

• Uzi’s War
  • A 1 page sheet with extra history and a couple of rules
  • No QRDC
  • No counters
  • Boards G18 to G21 – Desert with hill and open mainly
  • Scenarios Uzi67 1 to Uzi67 8 – A tread head dream of Tank versus Tank (except for one) – one plays pure armour or mixed arms

• Valley of Tears
  • A 1 page sheet with extra history and extra rules for terrain like blockhouses
  • No QRDC
  • No counters
  • Boards G22 to G25 – Desert with two huge hills and more village work
  • Scenarios VoT 1 to VoT8 – Again a mainly tread head journey of tank vs tank using the 1973 Type tanks – way cool

Last edited:

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
The Detailed explanation of The New Products

Introduction
The products I will continue RV now (in an order that helps me not the way they were released) in a more detailed way with long descriptions and some mention of past scenarios and what actually changed in the feel of play (mostly solo play). Of course the Genesis III and other products are very swish compared to Genesis II and Genesis/Jerusalem 48 – Better cuts on counters, better accompanying materials like rules etc and QRDC. What will likely get criticism is that the OB in the scenarios is different and the terrain is different in the repeats – does that mean a new playtest or is it a solo play like mine that changed things – Not to know?. The ideas around expanded tank battles, I love as a treadhead since Genesis II left me wanting and the ONLY WW2 BATTLE OF A WALLED CITY game is Jerusalem- but I can never get into the city!!!!- I don’t pay CG’s so there is a battle there as well! There is also a SUPER TANK GAME in M73#3 – a tank force of T62’s x 26 – what a thrill.

GENESIS III :)
Overall to me – a treadhead – it’s an OK product except for a few rare tank battles (in some of the scenarios No8 onwards I liked the most) – most of the scenarios is for those who want to do some desert defences versus tin Cans or Tin can versus Tin can battles – Sure there is unique terrain (now new boards), but the infantry look almost the same (with a few exceptions) as Italian/German versus Brits/ Natives in the Desert that CH has done before – I have done a lot of desert! So I can talk from experience (probably not good at it though). It very much feels like COLD WAR – since it has the feel of Russia vs USA! Based on vehicles and troops (with lots of little differences)

To the Historian
  • The Booklet (a bit rehash but similar to the past products) – Rules aside (mentioned below) – 5 types of Israeli troops history and 5 types of Arab troops.
  • 20+ pages of notes (repeated again but now flash!) of the story behind why each ordnance and AFV exists for the Israeli and Arabs nations. I found these (in past as well) a very interesting read – I chased up a history segment from a modelling mag and compared the AMX-13 spiel and though the mag was obviously longer and more detailed how in the 1956 war Israeli was unable to get gear except this light tank from the French– it was a nice summary in these vehicle notes and foot notes
To the Collector
  • A new set of counter with some very unique (modern day tanks and SWs) and some not (Arab troops are very similar to other nationality)
  • New types of squads types for Israeli (638 and 427)
  • Lots of New Desert boards for a part of the world we did have nil specific – middle east was fought over but previous desert boards did not cover this
To the Player
  • Rules to reflect the Israeli’s and Arabs including: a. extra sq deploys, b. Molotov Tank Hunter (revised since Mark P complained that the original rules were unnecessarily repeated in DM website); c. before Oct 48 poor armour rules for Israeli’s – red TH and radio less and CE! For ever; d. the different types don’t work well together; e. special nationality characteristics and f. CHICKEN COOPS.
  • Counters with good note including
  • Israeli Infantry and SW’s – Israeli army has a mix of supermen (748, 648, 558 and 638) and different coloured weak troops (the not so super 457, 447, 436, 427 )
  • Arab Infantry and SW’s that are very colourful (Russian, British, French and Italian colours) – so hard to tell they are Arabs and not that nationality if I mixed up my counters.
  • Israeli Tanks, ordnance and Tin cans from WWII vintage and the M46 to M50 series, Centurions and Captured T55’s rebadged.
  • Arab Tanks, ordnance and Tin cans with WWII ones and modern including Russian, US, British and French. They bought from everyone and we see that represented well
  • Boards in detail (all desert colours)
  • G1 – A big multi-level hill – nothing special
  • G2 – Another big multi-level hill with a road that goes over the top of it
  • G3 – A combo of a long 5 hex Z shaped depression with 1 level hills surround it
  • G4 – a stone village with surrounding vineyards (very Italian looking!)
  • G5 – an open board with minor depressions and gullies
  • G6 – an open board with a sand trap
  • G7 – an open board dominated by Sand dunes

• Scenarios (what’s in them and how they feel to solo play)
  • G3#1 – Locust Swarm (previous G2#2) – This one I have played before: A 7 turn Egyptian attack with the assess of 6 Locust’s (basically Stuarts) plus a Flame Halftrack, 5 British Carriers and 9 squads versus 10 Israeli squads with a 20L and 57, reinforced by on AC and a few jeeps. It’s special since the Locusts have to roll a DR that can really limit them and their use (like disabled MA!!) so it’s got a “luck” factor already and I always felt the Egyptians were never strong enough to be 20VP greater since it’s only the armour advantage they could have! The boards went from two desert boards with hillocks added to two desert boards with more sand in them so again the Israeli troops get even more advantage to defend and kill the tin cans coming.
  • G3#2 – Buying Time (previous G2#4 – A 6.5 turn Egyptian attack- now the terrain has gone from a Kibbutz with vineyards adjacent to a large burn out wheat field (In G2#4) to now desert and a depression board next to the Kibbutz (G3/G4). The game has three parts – a bombardment of 10 Israeli squads (mainly 436’s) in bunkers (360degree versions) and stone buildings, a Charge by 10 Egyptian Squads with 8 tin cans with only a 80mm OBA to cover against a continuous wire defence around bunkers, trenches and stone buildings. The problems are two – Egyptians are a little weak to attack the defence (cannot no loose more than 4 tin cans or loose) and the Israeli have both MOL and THH capacity. My solo play showed a very pro Israeli game!
  • G3#3 has a print mistake- Triple Play (Previous G2#5) – There must be an error in printing cause you get on the scenario card the previous BD 33 and KB1 next to G4/G7). Anyway that takes you from a Kibbutz next to a massive Lv1 hill and olive groves to the dessert with hillocks and sand depression. That will be very different to say the least. It’s a 7.5 turn game that’s meant to depict three different Arab armies (all 8 squads each) not co-operating with each other in attacking 9 Israeli squads with 60 minefield factors defending the Kibbutz – Its seems pro-Arab in my solo play
  • G3#4 – Trapping Nasser (previous G2#6) –This 8 turn scenario is on the Hills (used to be bd9/15 – now G1/G2) where 19 Israeli squads with flame throwers try and take two hills with two emplaced Arab defences (wire, trench, Mg Mtr and 8/9 squads) – In my solo play I got one hill easily and ran out of time for the next hill.
  • G3#5 – Palestinian Prokhorovka (previous G2#9) – A 6 turn game played on a hill board (previous B11 now G1) – An Israeli Tin can attack that needs to exit (3 Ac’s, 2 Hts and 3 jeeps – with 6 squads) is blocked by 6 (Italian looking) Arab squads with 4 better looking AC’s – wow it was a tough solo play – they get the drop on you and the CVP are against you quick – you can hope they miss! Is all I had? – It was a bit like Hollywood really….
  • G3#6 – Edge of the Sword (previous G2#10) – a 6.5 turn Arab Attack by 20 squads at a Kibbutz (G4- defended by 7x 4-36’s) and a hill board (G1) defended by 3x638 in Sangar’s – there is MOL and THH’s but no AFV’s??. – choice of take the Kibbutz, exit >50% of your men or Kill 50% of them as VCs – They Arabs have limitation of movement as well in the attack – so I choose take the village and lost but hey the FP or the Arabs was very low!!.
  • G3#7 – DINKY GAME TIME – Ben-JABO (previous G2#11) – 4 planes (now over 5 turns (used to be 3) take out 8 tin cans, 2 jeeps and 3 trucks loaded with 9 Arab squads trying to exit – VC is exit versus kill on bd G4 (Kibbutz) and G7 desert. – Did not lay it as its silly…… There used to be this one from the last issue of the General called JABO so I suppose Bob O’Conner liked it
  • G3#8 – The Archers of UM Sheham (previous G2#15 – but significantly altered) – We now hit 1956 and we see real tanks finally! It’s a 8.5 Turn game – Its pure desert delight with dust, sun blindness and setting sun to NVR 2 level in last 2.5 turns. The key here is a fast Israeli Attack. So the Egyptians in defence on hil board (G2) and half of G6 (desert) with 8 squads, a Baz50, 2 x 57L ATGs, One 76Mtr and 4x Archers in Bunker, Sangars, Wire and Trench get attacked by 12 x 6-4-8 Israeli elite Squads with 2 x abz50’s supported by 8xShermans (6xM4A3, 2x M4) and 8 x Halftracks (M3’s) – here we saw (before MMP) the first use of searchlights at night for the Israeli tanks – I had played it and played Solo and found as long as you don’t over expose your Sherman’s the VCs of getting those 7 level 3 hexes without losing 54CVPs (mainly done by infantry in the night turns) an achievable target but if the Archers hit a Sherman – she’s cooked baby! – MY FAVOURITE in the Combined arms attack for this product – never seen much like this before as well so unique as a design idea.
  • G3#9 - Ambush at Mitla (previous G2#16) – a 7 turn Israeli attack on hill boards where vehicles have to stay on roads due to bog! -G1and G2. The Egyptians defend with 12 squads and 1x 76mm MTR and 82mm RCL’s in pillboxes (kinda caves) and Sangar’s vs Three Israeli elite groups of Squads in Halftracks/Trucks supported by 2 French light tanks AMX 13’s (think Stuart with a 75LL gun but please if you look at these light tanks on the internet, despite the similar armour and range – with a 75LL gun – they look very dysmorphic compared to a stuart) – My Solo play I did not get the 8 pillboxes as ran out of time – bog slowed me down big time (luck as usual)
  • G3#10 – Final Act (previous G2#17) – A Tank game – so the idea is in 5.5 turn on desert boards G6 and G7 – you set up 5 Egyptian T34/85’s in a concealed way – then, with the Israeli’s, you step up 3 Baz 50’s unloaded from Jeeps (in same hex) near the “concealed dummies (3) or concealed T34/85”- good old luck again – and start T1 – T2 bring 4 x Sherman’s and 1 x AMX13 to help (post hopefully the reveal of the enemy) – a real US vs Russian WW2 hypothetical in the desert – just cool… - You have to kill 3 Egyptian tanks and exit 14DVP (a jeep and two tanks) – I tried twice solo and lost as Israeli so you need good shots.
  • G3#11 – Push to Um-Katef (previous G2#18 but now on much more than just bd38)– Time to GO Bigger in Israeli Tanks for the 1967 war! Versus the T34/85 and Su100 Egyptian who has RGP’s!!!! so don’t get tooooo close. It’s a very busy 6.6 turn game on G3/5/6/7 where CVP, the bridge, the hills and exit are the VCs. The Egyptians are in defence with 12 squads in trenches, behind wire and mines (18AP-2 AT) with eth antitank assets of a 100LATG, 2 x RPG2’s (good Baz at 4 hexes) and 2 x RPG7’s (very good Baz at 12! Hexes) and 80mm OBA – reinforced turn 2 by 2 xT34/85 and 2 x SU100’s face off ab Israeli attack from off board by 10 x 648 squads with 3 x Baz50 in halftracks and trucks supported by 2xM51’s and 2 x M50s (there is also a crab to clear the wire or mines but hey there is no time for that fancy stuff!) – so in solo play the 11 circled armour on those up gunned Sherman’s was bad if you got a hit from any tank, atg or rpg - your 105L and 75LL respectively penetrates the enemy tanks but you need to stand off from the rpg’s so I RAN OUT OF TIME!! – the solo aggressive play lead to my tanks (high CVP value) being roasted. Tough game for Israeli – also don’t forget to CE those tanks all the time as per the rules – it becomes a pest since the rpg may not get you one way but they get you on the collateral attack!
  • G3#12 – Blood French Hill (previous G2#19) – you have to love this game for putting American M47’s vs British Centurions – what a cool design. So this 7.5 Turn Scenario on the two hill boards (G1/G2) attached to two ½ desert boards (very different from previous Bd 11 and B18 for instance there used to be grain!). The Jordanians must set up on both hills for the 11 squads (3 x 628, 8 x 447) in trenches, foxholes and 2 bunkers with an 100L ATG, 82 rcl and a 82mm Mtr with 6 x M47A1’s coming in at T2. The Israeli’s have the end of the spur line and setup with 6 x748 and 8 x 648 (like a US and Brit Combined Para group versus Russians (talk about cool) – with some Demos and importantly 2 x M3 81mm Mtr Halftracks (smoke generators). On T1 under the cover of the smoke and the Infantry pushing forward the 9 Centurions come on First (only 12 movements so tough choices) (included 1xMk2, 2x Mk3, 2 x Mk5) and a mobile French arty AML-30 (a 90LL on a platform with only armour of 2 on the front and a MP of 33 (AC like). The VC are simple – take the pillboxes, take the trenches, overwhelm them and add up CVP. Sooo I set up the Jordanians in depth so the Israeli Infantry had to take the different depths slowly and drove my tanks in two separate platoons to engage. My Israeli had slow progress – the 90LL was toast from the hidden 100L ATG (as expected) now a few nice 2-3 versus 2 tank battles – the 90L 21TK did little against the Centurion (though the CE was always a pest) – the 26 TK 84LL (83LL in MMP) – took the 14 hull armour to task and even turret of 18 was > 50% - so the Centurions defiantly won the day on every roll and encounter – 6 dead M47’s later and I got the feel for a very unfair fight (Though as usual I ran out of special ammo except the 82rcl had a good and lucky kill versu that 8 side armour of the centurion)
  • G3#13 – Syrian Spirit (previous G2#21) – A 8.5 turn game using 2/3 of both the hill board G1 and Kibbutz board (G4). So 13 Syrian squads in defence on a hill using some trenches, wire and 18 AP mines and a bunker – protected by an 82mm MTR and 2 x RPG7’s (keep away from 12 hexes!) and 80mm OBA. The Israeli’s setup on the Kibbutz boards and have to take fortifications – no CVP. They consist of 12 squads (8x748, 4x 648) with 2 x 120mm Halftrack and an AMX 13. IN solo play I went in one flank, used the 120mm to supress their mtr and RPGs and then slowly ground them up from one side – Random Jets come for the Israeli – all I used it for was to stop them moving their positions and did not try much since I always fail STC’s against most things.
  • G3#14 – Isolation Strategy (previous G2#22) – So this is like one of those games where lots of Sherman or other allied tanks tanks come on and the Germans have panzerfausts and panzershrecks - so very dinky and based on rolls – so in this case for 7.5 turns on three Desert boards G5/6/7 we have the Egyptians having 2 x RPG-7’s and 2 x ATGM (sagger) try and pop off 9 Israeli tanks that are T55’s that were re done so boxed 18 frontal armour and MP’s of 14 – I did not play it since I find them dinky these type of designs – couple of things not sure of – Why an 82mm MTR and the fun of CE tanks (maybe that’s the use of the Mtr)

Last edited:

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Invasion Palestine :)

Introduction
The product catches up what was missing from Genesis II so we have more tin can battles (having said that negatively – in 1948 both sides mainly had those AFV’s so its realistic), more THHs, the chicken coop makes an appearance on the 4 desert boards are different again (slowly building up the middle east terrain.

To the Historian
The small 2/3 page blurb does add to understanding of the 1948 to 1949 conflict which is new and a nice coloured picture of a kibbutz from the time

To The Collector
4 boards (G14 to G17) – nothing else really with no counters

To the Player
Scenarios below and a page of rules to explain terrain
  • InvPal#1 – Sons of Galilee (previous G2#1) – It is set in the new kibbutz board G16 attached to a board with a river G14 with bridge (similar to previous KB1 attached to board 40) (The Arabs start the 7.5 turn game with a “Tin can” attack (ACs and 3 x French Tanks) followed by 11 squads on T3 to take out a kibbutz with 7 squads, a 20L AA in wire and trenches. – The “tank hunters have fun” should be the name of this since the first two turns is just Tank hunters versus tin cans if your into that type of game – so try and not loose 20CVP or you lose as the Arab (I did).
  • InvPal#2 – Etziongrad (previous G2#3) – A very large Desert set up with 6 boards G3/10/11/12/13/15 where the Israeli’s defend the central buildings with 10 squads, AT and AP mines, in roadblocks, Sangar’s, Wire and Bunkers and a 76Mtr. – The Arabs attack with three battle groups on turn 1 entering from different directions over the 9.5 turns. A total of 17 squads, 8 tin cans with some trucks and a jeep. Like previous attacks I do (solo or otherwise) – I failed to take any real objectives so you need better tactics than mine (no surprise there).
  • InvPal#3 – Faith-Allah (previous G2#7) – A 8.5 turn Arab attack over 2 boards (1/2 G10, G15 and G14) where 8 Israeli squads (with THHs), reinforced by T4 5 x squads is attacked by again three Arab battle groups after the buildings including 24 squads and 5 tin cans with 70mm OBA.
  • InvPal#4 – I Dream of Jenin (previous G2#8) – A slight set of misprints but you can get it – the old one had the “side moving first” in the old turn counter thing at SS7 but its now SS6. Over 6 boards G1/G2/G4/ G8/G11/G15 you set up the Arabs in the middle (unfortunately it says Bd 24 but that’s the previous G2 game again) – The buildings are the VC (as well as CVP). The Israeli’s come from the two ends. A Defensive position in one end with 16 squads and 2 x 76mm Mtrs (smoke makers) in Sangar’s while from the other side the T2 sees 7 squads with 7 x tin cans and 3 x trucks and T3 with 4 x squads and DC’s. The Arabs initially setup 23 squads with a 57L ATG, 76mmMTR and 88 ART – then reinforced T2 from 6x Squads,2 x Tin Cans, 4xTrucks and 2 x Jeeps.
  • InPal#5 – The Whiskey Wager (previous G2#12) – An Israeli attack to take buildings on Bd’s G4/G10?G11/G17 (all building boards). The Arabs setup with 26 squads in wire and roadblocks. The Israeli attack is 28 squads, 2 x Mtrs (76/60) and some tin cans. – In solo play it went back and forward for me – either side could win.
  • InvPal#6 – Death to the Invaders (?new). An Arab defence over 8 turns in the open with 10 x squads, 1 x 76mtr, 1 x 75Art in wire and trenches defend against 20 Israeli quads with FTs that have to cross the desert to take the kibbutz – In solo play I got the buildings.
  • InvPal#7 – Molotov Inferno (previous G2#20) – A depression board G3 with a kibbutz G16 where the Israeli’s defend with 10 squads, 2 x 65mm Inf gun with wire and trenches. The Arab attacks with 5 x tin cans and 15 squads. – I got the building in the 7.5 turns in solo play.
  • InvPal#8 – Level the Villages (?new) – An Arab attack over 8.5 turns on bds G10 and G16 (kibbutz) with 20 squads. The Israeli defence is 10 x squads in the kibbutz with wire and a road block – reinforced by 5 x squads on T4 – In solo play I took the building quick smart and did not get them back.

Last edited:

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Jerusalem Siege :)

Introduction
This is the famous Walled City redo with a much better and larger boards and the linking of old games where Israel tries to take back the city in 48, added to 5 x battle in 67 (not on the city board mainly) and the famous CG situated in the Walled City!- The 48 ones are “infantry mainly attacks” that repeat previous (I did not dig them up) and I never have figured out how to get through one of the gates (lost every solo play and remember losing a long time ago as well) but the 67 ones use lots of modern tanks so this tread head salivated on first view (maybe not on solo play?).

To The Historian
A nice read in the CG (repeat) of the battle in 48 and some interesting spiels in the Scenarios from 1967 (most I have never heard of). Also some nice pictures from the period

To the Collector
The Walled City – great redo but no counters – 3 pages of terrain rules.
I can hear Mark P scream (from down under its so loud!) that the boards are really hard to line up – it’s like bad Lego

To the Player
5 pages of a CG (I don’t do them so no comment)
Scenarios 48
  • Jeru48#1 – Gate Crashing – Over 6.5 turns -at the western Gates we have an Israeli attack from 22 squads, with DCs and 3 tin cans try and enter the City manned by 14 Arab squads armed with SWs – In solo play (like every other game) – my Israeli team was unable to break in – they just die at the gates – the inability to scale the walls makes it a tough ask to break in
  • Jeru48#2 – The Monastery – Over 6 Turn and Israeli attack at the northern gates 12 squads, an Inf Gun (65mm) and DCs against 16 Arab squads with a 57L ATG and 3 Tin cans – again on solo play I just rolled badly for the attacker as a constant problem
  • Jeru48#3 – Soldier of Jerusalem – Over 5.5 Turns – a smaller battle for another gate where 6 Israeli squads and DCs attack 11 Arab squads in the city – again I failed dismally even when I charged – It is a night game but that did not help me.
  • Jeru48#4 – Antiquity –The mega game (made no difference in the outcome with me being unable to breach these gates so over 8.5 turns, attacking every gate at once, 25 Israeli squads with lots of special toys – one that looks like a goliath – tries to breach the city gates defended by 18 Arab squads with lots of SWs, a 57L ATG and an 88ART gun. This is a bit difficult to describe since I continued to try and breech but alas not much joy other than breaking on each attempts – there are lots of SSRs dependant on getting inside the coty and getting more help from the locals.

Scenarios 67
  • Jeru67 #1 – First Reply – Over 9.5 turns on Boards G1 (hill), G4 (kibbutz), G2 (hill) and G17 (village), 13 Arab squads armed with 2 x 82 RCL’s and 3 x Baz 50’s and 5 heavy HMGs defend the village against an Israeli attack of 13 squads supported by 6 x M50’s of various types. In solo play the Jordanian’s setup to deny multiple building clusters – I stuck the tanks in a gaggle and used smoke and firepower to clear the first two lines – the 82RCLS bagged a two – It was a race with only 5-4-8’s to not get chewed by all these HMGs.
  • Jeru67 #2 – Ammunition Hill – Over 7.5 turns on the new massive hill (G9) with defending Arabs and an Israeli attack from G17 village board where the Israeli start. The Arabs defend with 12 squads and lots of HMGs x 5 and 2 x 82 RCLS in lots of trenches (24 and wire and bunkers). The meagre attack is from 13.5 Israeli 6-4-8’s with DCs – In solo play my men got nowhere near the 3:1 ratio that was needed… Really pro - Arab this one
  • Jeru67 #3 – Road to the West Bank – another dinky plane versus men game where 4x jets try and stop Arabs running away – I was unable to bring myself to play this one
  • Jeru67 #4 – Beaten to the Punch – Over 8.5 turns we have a real tread head dream scenario. On boards G12 (small hill board) and G11 (village with a gully) we see the Israelis defend the bridge, take CVPS and stop exit with 12 squads carrying 3 x Baz 67 (TK30) and 2 DCs and 2 x 106 RCLs (nice TK of 45!) with 2 x M50’s (75LL = TK 24) and 1 x M51HV (105L – TK 21) but only frontal armour of 8 – Comin at them is a strong Jordanian armoured pincer of 6 x M47A1’s (Armour 14/18 and 90L=TK 21) and 4 x M48A1’s (Armour 18/21 and 90L) with 20 squads in support toting 3 x Baz 50’s (TK 20) – so a very strong match up – I drove up an blazed away in solo play at a range beyond the BAZ but accepting the RCLS (a few nasty kills) – The CVP cap is hard when the Israelis setup in depth to both chew a few as you try and exit – I lost as Arabs due to CVP blow out!!
  • Jeru67#5 (Note a misprint since called Jeru48#5 but definitely a 67 scenario– A Place of Wailing – The defence of the northeast gate by 5 squads with wire, trenches and roadblock against 8 x Israeli squads supported by 2 x 106 RCL’s and 2 x M50’s – This one I got in since I could blast away (even though the MOL for the Arabs helps them) but still did not win the game

Last edited:

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Magach 73 – The Yom Kippur War of 1973 :)

Introduction
This is the additional product that with its boards and counters to play the other packs. This increases the numbers of counters for the mega tank battles ahead. It also provides another QRDC and in itself 8 scenarios from the 1973 Suez Canal conflict – THIS PRODUCT ALSO HAS THE LARGEST TANK GAME I HAVE SEEN (AND WITH MODERN TANKS) – actually the massive nature of some of the games makes this a long play even for solo play

For the Historian
There is a small historical spiel but the updated vehicles and gun notes that describe the modern day vehicles in great detail and some details on the modern jets as well.

For the Collector
Boards G8 to G12 – new desert boards to demonstrate the Middle East terrain, 2 x counter sheets with more modern infantry and SWs as well as a Sheet of tanks like M60’s and T55 or T62’s – way cool – plus a lot of playability counters

For the Player
The rules have now got both Israeli and Arab updated rules for 1973. A QRDC card done well. Lots of playability counters to help the modern conflicts

Scenarios
  • M73#1 – Ambush at Sudr Pass – Into the Valley of Death! Comes to mind – Over 8.5 turns on Bds G2/G9 hills on one side and G13/G1 hills on the other side with desert terrain G12/G10 in the centre – you drive 10 x Centurions and 2 x M3 Hts 12 IFE with armour leaders (9-1, 8-1) against 7x HS’s and 6 x crews armed with 4 x ATGM (saggar = TK40), 4x RPG 7’s (TK33) – 12 At mines, 18 AP mines and 2 x 82RCLS (TK 24)- sont for get the two helicopters with a 57 AP gun – So a TURKEY SHOOT! – In solo play - Oh I wish Centurions went faster!! – each turn I lost 2 so 5 turns later I was under the 3 AFVs – ouch – where is a 16-20MP tank when you need one
  • M73#2 – First to Giddi Pass – Over 8.5 turns on two open boards with brush, hedges etc (G8/G12) The Arabs setup a defence with 12 squads armed with 6 x RPG-7’s (TK33), 2 x SAM (TK ?) supported by 12 x tin cans (armed carries) and 3 x Amphip Tanks PT-76B – They are attacked by 5 squads with 3 x M72 Baz, 1 x Baz67 supported by M113’s x 5 and M60A1 x 4. – In solo play I went with the Israeli for a gap and mad a run for it – the lightly armoured Arabs were toast when hit so I dropped the Troops to stop the Arabs exiting with success!
  • M73#3 – Botzer Box – Over 9 turns we have a SUPER SUPER DOOPER TANK GAME!! On 9 boards we have likely a battalion of Arabs tanks – 26 x T62’s (TK 21), 5 x tin cans, 3 x troop transports with 3 sqy=uads with Rpg-7’s defend a line and are attacked by 4 x M48A2’s (armour 18/21- TK 21) and 11 x M48a2c”s – (same armour and TK) – So I drove as an arrow head at the modern day Russian tanks and stopped at 7-12 and blazed away. I game up after one fire phase since 50 rolls was a lot!!!!!
  • M73#4 – Tassa Junction – Over 10 turns and 6 desert boards. Again it is a meeting engagement of two forces. VPs are both CVP’s and control of terrain features. The Israelis attack with 11 squads with SWs including 4x LATW 72’s, 2 x Baz 67’s, a FT and OBA supported by 8x M113’s, 3 x troop transports, 2x M3 120mm Mtrs, 3 x M49A2c’s, 2x M48A2’s, 3 x Redon T55’s (now 105L’s) and 3 x M50’s 75LL’s. The Arabs attack with 14 squads and 9 crews with 10 x RPG-7s, 1 x ATGM, 12 x troop transports, 8 x T62’sm 3 x SU100’s and 2 x Centurions (84LL) plus a helicopter. I did not play this solo – It would take a week!
  • M73#5 – Stouthearted Men – Over 9.5 turns and 6 desert boards during light dust – The Israelis defend the village on bd G11 with 6 squads armed with 2 x LATW (M72) and 1 x Baz67 with air support (jets) reinforced on T1 by 9 squads, sws including 2 x LATW and 1 x Baz67 and OBA100mm plus 6x M113’s, 3 x troop transports, 2 x mobile arty (160mm) and 8 x M60A1’s (armour 26 and 105LL TK 27) – The Arabs attack with 10 squads, 8 crews with 5 x RPG7’s, OBA, FTs 2 x ATGM, 2 x RCL 82’s, 2 x 100L ATGs supported by 8x T55a’s, 2 x amphib tanks, 2 x AA vehicle (IFE24FP) and on T2 by 4 x T10Ms (Armour 26/30 and 122l (TK 25). – again I did not solo play this moster.
  • M73#6 – Towards Ismalia – Over 10.5 turns on 6 desert boards in light dust, The Arabs defend in depth with huge fortifications – This includes 19 squads, 10 crews with 13 RPG7’s, two OBA mods, 2 x ATGM, 2 x 82 RCL’s, 2 x 107 RCL’s, 2 x 85L Art, 2 x AA veh (IFE24FP) with Trenches, wire, AT ditches, AT mines and AP mines- as well a T6 having 8 x T55A’s arrive. The Israelis attack with 12 x armed halftracks mounting 12 squads with 6 x Latw’s, 2 x Baz 67, 2 x FT and 3 mods of OBA- supported by 10 x centurions with 105L guns.
  • M73#7 – Missile Woes – Another turkey shoot for the Sagga’s – So over 9 turns on 3 boards in light dust, The Israeli’s set up surrounding an Arab position that has a huge anti-tank capacity. So the Israeli in unique setup (spread out and surrounding) consist of 8 squads, 6 x armed Hts, 4 x M48A1’s, 4 x M48A2’s, 7 x M48A2c’s – the Arabs then setup to shoot rockets galore! – So 14 squads and 12 crews with 7 x RPG7’s and 10 x ATGM’s and 2 x 82 RCL’s. – Again the solo play here was boring to begin with since it was just roll, roll roll.
  • M73#8 – Missouri Hill - Over 9.5 turns on 6 boards and light dust the Arabs set up another complicated defence on low level hills with the Israelis entering from two direction to try and take the buildings! The Arabs defend with 18 squads, 10 crews, 5 x RPG7’s, 2 x ATGM’s and OBA, 2 x 82RCL’s, 2 x 85LArt, 2 x 100L ATG’s with 12 trenches, 8 wires and 2 roadblocks supported by 4 x T55A’s2 x SU100’s and a ATGM on vehicle. The attacking Israeli’s are 9 squads with 4 x LATW’s, 1 x Baz67, OBA supported by 6 x M113’s, 3 x troop transports, 2 x mobile Arty (160mm), 2 x M48A2’s, 6 x M48A2c’s – Again a bit large for solo play but in depth defence would make this pro-Arab.

Last edited:

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Uzi’s War – The Six Day War of 1967 :)

Introduction
This is an additional pack with 4 more boards (G18 to 21) giving more low hills with brush in the desert and 8 scenarios – all are heavy duty and some have special things – the most rare is a pure Tank scenario at Night using Infra-red (it gave me the jitters!!!)

For the Historian
Just a two page history spiel in the notes that is a bit of ASl history and advertising as well a small amount on the 1967 battle.

For the Collector
Just the 4 boards

For the Player
Scenarios
  • Uzi67#1 – Fighting Withdrawal – Over 9.5 turns on the two desert boards (brush, gullies) G19 and G18 with light dust and Dusk LV hindrance, the Arabs defend the buildings with 12 squads, 4 crews, 3 x Baz50’s, OBA (80mm), 1 x 76LL ATG, 1x 82Mtr in trenches, wire and a bunker, 3 AT mines, 16 AP mines – reinforced T4 by centurions (84LL). The Israeli’s must take the buildings and not lose the CVP cap of 24 for infantry alone with 18 squads, 3 x BAZ 50’s, 2 x DC, OBA 80mm, Air support with Jets and 4 x M51HV (105L) and 2 x RCLs 106 mounted on jeeps – SO in solo play I got up nice and close (6 hexes which is beyond BAZ 50 range) and blazed away moved up under the terrain and environmental effect with the infantry. Plenty of time and I save the jeeps to harass the Centurions with success – the Jets (got them early) kept the Arabs from moving to respond – Pro- Israeli
  • Uzi67#2 – Moshe’s Meeting – Over 8.5 turns on 4 desert boards G18-2, with light dust The Israelis defend the buildings with 4 squads, 1 x Bz 50, a DC, 2 x AMX13’s (75LL) and a WW2 M3A1 Ht but are then reinforced by 5 squads, DC, 2 x M50 (75LL), 2 x M51HV (105L) and 5 x M3 Hts on T3. The Arabs get the drop and are only 4 hexes away initially with 20 squads, 2 crews, 2 x Baz 50’s, OBA 80mm and 5 x M48A1’s (90L) – in solo play I took the initial flank quick and easy and the AMX’s were toast but then the extra Israeli’s came on but could not get the building back since there were too many Arabs.
  • Uzi67#3 – Between a ROM and a Hard Place –Over 8.5 turns on G4 (kibbutz) and G21, the Arabs mainly enter and defend the buildings with 14 squads, 3 x Baz 50’s, 1 x M113, 5 x M48A1’s (90L) and 2x 106 ECLs on jeeps. The Israeli attacks with 8 squads, 2 x BAZ 50, 2 x Ht Mtr AFV 81mm, and on T4 3 x M48A2C’s enter – This was a disaster and I never got anywhere near the initiative versus the Arabs who are too strong in my solo play
  • Uzi67#4 – Bir Gifgafa- A Tread head GAME!!!! Over 9 Turns, AT NIGHT!, on 4 Desert boards with light dust - G12, G15, G20 , G21 (all with only minor hills) 18 T55’s for the Arabs (with infra-red!) Battle 4 x AMX13’s (Infra-red) and 6 x Centurions (105L) – I did not play such a beast – night tank warfare with the added infra-red will take a lot of courage
  • Uzi67#5 – Day One – Over 9.5 Turns on Desert boards G5/6/15/20 with light dust, the Arabs defend the hills and bridge with 10 squads, both OBA 120mm and 80mm, 2 x 82RCL’s, 2 x 107RCL’s 18 AP mines, 3 x SU100’s in trenches, wire and bunker emplacement – also reinforced T3 with 5 x T10M’s (122L), 8 x T34/85’s, 2 x Ht’s – The Isralie attack from 3 directions with 8 squads, 1 x BAZ50, 2 x DC, 2 x FT, 100mm OBA, 2 x 120mm Mtr HT’s, 4 x M48A2C’s (105L), 2 x Cenyurions (105L), 1 x 106 RCL on jeep, 2 trucks and 6 Ht’s – In solo play the point of the attack went for the bridge an dhill but got stopped by in-depth defence and then the 13 Arabs tanks chewed it up (get around the side of those Israeli tanks and shoot at the compulsory CE!) – so very pro-Arab.
  • Uzi67#6 – Jeradi Defile – Over 8.5 turns on two Desert boards G19 and G3 (depression board) in light dust, the Arabs defend their fortifications with 15 squads, 7 crews, 120mm OBA, 4 x RPG2’s, 2 x 82RCL’s, 1 x 85L Art, 2 x 107 RCL’s, 48 AP mines in 16 trenches, 3 bunkers and 7 wires with 2 Hts and 2 T54B’s (100L with 18/21 armour). They are attacked from off board by an Israeli force that consists of 13 squads, 2 x Baz 50’s, 4 x DCs, 1 x FT, 100mm OBA, 2 x 120mm Mtr Ht’s, 4 x M48A2C’s (105L), 5 x Centurions (105L), 1 x RCL106 Jeep, 6 x Hts – I did better in solo play this time and just picked on three separate lines of attack since all I had to do was take the fortifications – Came down to a close solo game.
  • Uzi67#7 – The Trenches of Umm Katef- Over 7 Turns this pure infantry game on Bd G20 at NIGHT with special rules that make it even harder 12 Arabs versus 9 Israelis where the Arabs have the trenches that are VC’s – I did not want to play this one – night and solo is hard enough but try the extra stuff and it’s not for the feint hearted ftf player even!
  • Uzi67#8 – Ismalia 67 – Monster Time !!!! – Over 11 turns on 9 boards the Titans clash to take terrain wins – note the Arabs have soviet doctrine (that’s a funny one). So the Arabs are entering one side with 15 Squads12 troop carriers (some hts) 6 x RPG7’s, 2 X SAM’s, 18 T55’s of various types (all 105L and 18/21 armour)- The Israelis enter the other side with 13 squads, 2 x Baz50’s, 4 x DC, 1 x FT, 2 x 120mm Mtr HT, 6 x M48A2C’s, 2 x Centurions (105L), 6 x M50’s of various types, 1 x RCL 106 Jeep, 6 x Hts. – Too many rolls for sane solo play so good luck!

Last edited:

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Valley of Tears – The Golan Heights 1967/1973 :)

Introduction
Well to finish off you have to have that big mountain game since it was such a part of the history of this conflict so this product gives you 3 mountain boards (and another vineyard board for some reason) and off you battle. I did no solo play on these ones since the mountain looked too hard for tanks (aka the games go very slow!)- Having said that, only 6/8 used the mountain boards - don’t forget the Arab Soviet doctrine (funny rule). The special one is the last one where some Panzer IV H’s are dug out in defense!

To the Historian
Other than the scenario spiels we were not graced with any particular history lesson in the two page rules accompaniment – it seems more like a review of why its included.

To the Collector
Only G22-G24 that helps he construct a big mountain of the Golan Heights and G25 a vineyard board (some Israeli must have been a wine drinker?) – No counters

To The Player
More rules repeated – Blockhouse and Revetments

Scenarios
  • VoT#1 1973 – Mutzav 111- On two mountain boards G24/G25, in light dust the Israelis defend the mountain fortifications with 10 squads, 3 crews, 4 x LATW’s, 2 x Baz 67’s 2 x SAM’s, 2 x ATGM on vehicles, 1 x 40mm AA, in 6 trenches, 5 revetments, 7 wire with 5 x Centurions and Jets that carry napalm versus the attacking Arabs that have 16 squads, 5 x RPG7’s, 3 x SAM’s, 12 x troop carries, 8 x T55A’s, 4 x T10M’s, 3 x SU100’s with two bridge layers with 100mm OBA and Jets with bombs.
  • VoT#2 1973 – Encounter at Nafekh- In non-mountain boards G11/12/13/25 (vineyards) in light dust – Israeli’s defend with 9x squads with 4 x LATW’s, 4 x Baz67’s,80mm OBA, 8 x armed Hts, 2 x 120mm Mtr Hts, 7 x Centurions. The Arabs attack with 9 squads, 4 x RPG7’s, 100mmOBA with 3 x armed Hts and 16 x T55’s
  • VoT#3 1973 – Tel Shaar – In non-mountain boards G5/6/8/15/20/25 with light dust – there is a clash of battle groups – The Israelis have 7 squads, 3 x LATW’s, 2 x BAZ67’s, 8 x M113’s 8 x Centurions– The Arabs have 11 squads, 5 x RPG7’s, 100mm OBA (note misprint on the card that SSR2 says Israeli but should be Iraqi), 8 x troop carries, 8 x T55A’s, 2 x Centurions (84LL), 3 x SU100’s, 2 x Armed Hts.
  • VoT#4 1973 – Hold at any Cost – A small Game on the mountain board G23 with G19 (small hill in a desert terrain played over 7.5 turns. The Israelis try and stop the Arabs exiting with 2 x Centurions (105L) and 1.5 squads armed with a Baz67 – While the Arabs have 1 HS, 1 crew carrying an RPG7 and a ATGM with 8 x T62’s (115L and 18/21 armour) and two troop carries for your lethally armed men! – I did actually start solo play but stopped but you can really get up close with the tanks and then come in the back with the lethal crew and HS
  • VoT#5 1973 – Valley of Tears – Over 8.5 Turns on 6 boards G22/23, G1/2/3/7 in light dust where the Arabs sit on the heights and have to drive into the valley where the Israelis defend and then exit through them! – The Israeli’s consist of 8 squads, 2 crews, 3 x LATW’s, 4 x Baz67’s OBA 100mm, 6 x Centurions (105L) and 4 Hts with 36 AP mines. The Arabs charge with 12 squads, 4 crews, 5 RPG7’s, 2 x ATGM’s, 2 x FT’s, OBA 150mm, 8 troop carries, 3 armed Hts, 6 x T62’s, 8 x T55’s and 2 x T55BPT54 (100L special) – looks nasty for the Israeli’s
  • VoT#6 1967 – 27 Hour War – Over 8.5 turns On mountain boards G23/23 attached to G16/G3 (lots of vineyards) in light dust – The Israelis’ defend the buildings and trenches in the valley with 14 squads, 1 x Baz67, 1 x 40LAA and Jets again the Arab hoard descending from the hills of 20 squads, 2 x RPG7’s and 100mmOBA
  • VoT#7 1967 – Qala Redoubt – Over 8.5 turns on the mountain boards G22/23 (Arab defence) adjacent to G5/G15 that the Israeli’s have to cross first in light dust – SO The Arabs defend the mountain fortifications with 10 squads, 6 crews, OBA (misprint which) 2 AT mines, 24 AP mines, 2 x 100L ATGs, 2 x 82 RCLs, 2 x 107 RCLs, 3 x SU100L in 8 Trenches, 6 AT ditches, 2 roadblocks, 3 x Revetments, 2 x Bunkers and 6 Wire. The Israelis attack (and likely get chewed up!) with 17 squads, 4 x LATW, 4 x Baz67’s, 100mm OBA, 6 Hts and 6 Centurions (105L) – They do get air support from jets - Gee this would be so pro-Arab!
  • VoT#8 1967 – Golan Break In – On only two boards G22 (mountain) and G18 (small hill and brush) over 8.5 turns, the Arabs defend the hill with 11 squads, 4 crews, 4 LATW’s, 2 AT mines, 24 AP mines, 2 x 100L ATGs and 2 x Old PzIVH’s with 8 trenches, 6 wires, 2 blockhouses, and 2 Sangars (where the PzIV’s are. The Israelis attack with 6 squads, 1 Baz50, 2 DCs, 3 x M50 (75LL), 3 x M51 HV (105L) and 6 Hts – I will play this one first form the pack since it will be so cool to match an up gunned Sherman versus a PzIV!
Well that’s It Team :jig: – all products reviewed and some input into solo play from the “King of Boxcars” – These would be tough to win versus a person that rolls low. We have huge scenarios, huge tanks and huge tank formations so as experimental ASL goes – I love it but this may not be your cup of tea

Cheers
Rob :D

Last edited:

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
wow impressive. (the review haha). Well done!

only thing that would be better. Pictures!

buser333

Reaction score
I agree with the other sentiments here. Excellent write-up, Rob. I have Genesis and Genesis II but have yet to play anything from them, though I do have interest in doing so. I probably will not purchase the 67/73 products as I am skeptical of how the ASL system would translate to later timeframes of war.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does one need both Genesis III and Magach 73 to play battles from Suez to the Six Day War? I do not have too much interest in either the earlier or later period.

ISRAEL GOES TO WAR PRODUCT RV​

Up front I would like to declare that though I do buy CH, I am not trying to do more than describe my purchases for others and anything akin to valued judgements that enable the CH bashers to “lock and load” – I would ask them not to visit the CH website here in this thread

In the absence of Mark P, I felt the need to describe how different the CH experimental engine has gone in this area of war gaming and to describe the ASL version as best I can.

This area has really gone a long way now in material, design and comprehensive covering– its early beginning and additional products have been massively superseded both for my three phenotypes of ASLers I use below (you can be more than one): the Historical Buff, the Collector and; the ASL player.

Bob O’Conner should be recognised here – It was his dream it is said. I don’t know him but I do appreciate his efforts!

It is a MUST that you do visit Mark P’s site http://www.desperationmorale.com/product-tag/arab-israeli-wars/ . He does immense work as usual and my simple references to what was and what is will never be in his league.

I also mention in only a superficial way the previous CH products so I can use them for comparison but more just refer to what happened then they turned up on my desk – played a few – mainly solo back then but since out of print and well superseded – I have little to offer in my review of the past.

I personally am mainly an ASL player 80% now so I looked at these products through the eyes of someone who loves Tank Battles (I loose many so no expert) – aka tread head. I am also “King of Boxcars (just ask my opponents) and thus when a rule needs a lucky roll – I will roll bad….I thus will talk about my “feel” when I rolled the dice like – “pure infantry chewing with very difficult terrain to slog through” or “I tried to win with X tank versus Y tank and just could not roll low enough!”. I am never a very good historian but love to read and learn from the blurbs so maybe 10% there. The other 10% is collector – I am not a completest (I have skipped lots of CH products and never renewed many re-releases) but did love to have counters of new tanks (whether they are absolutely accurate only time will tell) – I was happy that the MMP official Centurion from Forgotten War (that I have played that one scenario with!) looks identical but alas we have only a few things like that to compare. I was hoping for a lot more of Russian gear versus US/Brit gear in FW. Though the scenarios I have played give you a feel for the troops, I was let down by MMP that the Centurion game was they leave the board and in reality NO tank vs Tank stuff made me really disappointed with FW – I think that was the historical reality I am sure. So to have M60s take on T55’s is just in principle a way cool thing to do. So finally for a ASL player like me I have a product that shows Cold ward battles. Even cooler is that the Arab nation’s bout Brit and US material so you get to pitch similar tanks against each other!

Counter design is a tough mission and the original 2001 counters were very ordinary and the 2018 ones are very very flash! But to keep to copyright they are different I suppose.

Board design also a big leap – 25 new desert boards and a big map of Jerusalem (done heaps better that the 2001 version) is the new CH style so expected
Scenarios- I would say 70% rehash but it hard to easily say – I would have to know what is completely out there (match up all re-treads from CH mags etc) so I only get to compare the Genesis 48, Genesis II and the 3 CH Mags and what they had – I will probably describe most and try and mention if we have seen them before. With 47 in the combined new products compared to the known 4 in Jerusalem 48 and 22 in Genesis 2 as well as another r6 known in CH mags – we see not the sampling we had in the Genesis II product like only 1 scenarios in 1973 and 3 scenarios in 1967 and 4 scenarios in 1956 to 8 scenarios in 1973 (Valley of Tears), 8 scenarios in 1967 etc so as I describe them we do very much expand the dream of a tread head of Soviet Tanks versus US and Brit tanks of modern eras,,,,,

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Does one need both Genesis III and Magach 73 to play battles from Suez to the Six Day War? I do not have too much interest in either the earlier or later period.
Any work on the Gulf War of 2001 going on at CH ?

Would love to hear how the solo playtesting is progressing, how many counters we can buy and how many new boards there will be.

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi All

If someone could explain upload of pictures - I probably can take a few - Obviously I get that you take a pic with your iphone and then plug it into your laptop but how do you upload - insert image? maybe

The Genesis III and Magach 73 are need for two main reasons - if you work through the required boards you need them and they are the only products with counters so yes

It is a bit like great minds think alike with the Gulf War comment - I could see that battle of the ? Eastling now only requiring the tanks to be added like the Abrahams and Bradley but as stated above the solo play test is all we can initially hope for....

Cheers

Rob:cool:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I am working from a Widows 10 laptop and today I posted a post with a picture, which I rarely do. In prior GS versions I used the picture icon above the post editor to copy in a picture from my source directory, but today I tried a simple drag-and-drop from my directory to the post editing window and it worked.