Isle of Man TT

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I am considering jetting over to Ireland to watch next year's event. Let me tell you what, you have to have tyrannosaurus balls to compete in that event, because its the most badass and unforgiving sporting event on the planet. The number of annual fatalities is staggering, and make it an event even the hardcore of the hardcore treat with extreme caution. Look it up on YouTube.

I wring my Ducati out every once in a while, and perhaps it's because I do ride that I can appreciate just how f'king unbelievably, insanely dangerous that type of road racing is. It's illegal almost everywhere in the world, but in Ireland they celebrate it. Stubborn bastards, you know.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
I am considering jetting over to Ireland to watch next year's event. Let me tell you what, you have to have tyrannosaurus balls to compete in that event, because its the most badass and unforgiving sporting event on the planet. The number of annual fatalities is staggering, and make it an event even the hardcore of the hardcore treat with extreme caution. Look it up on YouTube.

I wring my Ducati out every once in a while, and perhaps it's because I do ride that I can appreciate just how f'king unbelievably, insanely dangerous that type of road racing is. It's illegal almost everywhere in the world, but in Ireland they celebrate it. Stubborn bastards, you know.

The Isle of Man TT isn't in Ireland mate. It's on a very small (but quite beautiful) island between Ireland and the UK. Middle of the Irish Sea. A UK 'protectorate' but neither Irish nor English....they are 'Manx'

It's one of my and my wife's favourite places. We go at least four times per year on short vacations. I'm very lucky as I wouldn't have EVER gone to the Isle of Man but I drew the short straw when our Manchester office here grabbed our first client on the Island, which happened to be the abbatoir. I took it and now have half a dozen clients there and have never looked back. It really is wonderful.

Bugger to get there to...I do the car ferry so I can go across with my vehicle. It's a four hour ferry...you can fly but I don't like flying. It's only 30 odd minutes from Ireland or Liverpool by air.

The TT's are the most amazing event. If you want to go next year you MAY have already left it to late mate as it's so mind blowingly popular. But yes...well worth a visit. A former band I was in played their music event many years back as part of the TT's and it was one of the most amazing gigs we ever did.

I recommend.....aim for 2018....come to NW England and where possibly aim to hire a bike...then get across the week before or after one of the TT events and take a ride around the circuit.....there are no speed limits outside the main towns on the island...so you can pretty much go for it as bravely as you wish.

The safety solutions they put in place for the TTs are truly comical (in a dark way). As you drive around the island near or around TT time you'll see that they have padded things like lamp posts, walls, and telephone boxes.....problem is they are riding past people's houses at average 130 odd MPH..not a lot you can do if you fly off your machine and into someone's front window....maximum speed I ever achieved was 90 miles per hour on a single lane road over the mountains (in my RAV 4 car)....truly scary...the bikes would be doing nearly 200mph on this particular section