Island of Fire: Leaping Horseman books

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Anybody checked out the price that this is currently going for on Amazon?

£934.00........

Of course you need to find somebody willing to pay that price first.

I shall now handle my copy (Signed, No.4) with due reverence.... :)

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Strange marketing strategies Leaping Horseman books.

Release in limited numbers at pretty exorbitant prices. Then make squad out of the hyper-inflated prices they sell on the second hand market.

Can't help thinking that if they got real...released these military books at a price which they are actually worth (ie. £30-40) that they'd make more sales, and create a larger profit for themselves.

But what would I know.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
So I want this book badly. I have been in communication with Jason Mark about it, and he said he was looking into a deal with Stackpole to put it back into print similar to what he did with Death of the Leaping Horseman. I was tempted to buy one of the ones being offered in the secondary market but thought I would write him first and see what he said. I don't know anything beyond that, but I am guessing with the demand being so high, he will likely work out some sort of deal. -- jim

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I got mine for $60 from eBay.

Sellers calling for insane levels might be related to but is not always a direct bearing on the level of demand.

A quick search revealed 2 sold on eBay lately (at VERY different price levels). A publisher should probably see more tangible proof of demand before they increase production in a big way I guess?

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
indeed. Some of the prices quoted on Amazon for out print stuff and some in print stuff, is off the reality scale. Not sure how those prices are arrive at, probably some sort of algorithm pegged to a next lowest price. Stackpole is a great source for some of the more expensive hard to find books. I sincerely hope that Leaping Horseman take further advantage of this option in the same way that they did with their first publication. I recently purchased 'Kampfgruppe Walther and Panzer Brigade 107' by Jack Didden and Maarten Swarts, their earlier volume covering in detail some of the units engaged in market Garden now goes for silly money. Books like this and those from LH a catering for a very niche market and are never going to generate a huge sale volume and I am sure that the publishers know their market and the size of that market very well and as result the numbers printed mean that the book is likely to go out of print fairly quickly. Those who are in market for the detailed accounts in this type of publication (me) tend to buy now and read later knowing that the price is only ever likely to head in one direction.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

Sellers calling for insane levels might be related to but is not always a direct bearing on the level of demand.

A quick search revealed 2 sold on eBay lately (at VERY different price levels). A publisher should probably see more tangible proof of demand before they increase production in a big way I guess?
Yes, the MMP GTS game 'Devil's cauldron' goes for silly money on the secondary market but has been languishing below the reprint trigger number for several years. Know your market, I guess.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just hope can get a copy of Hamilton's "Bloody Streets" someday.......

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I just sold my copy (with map) for £120 on E-bay, I wanted more, but that is what I got, so I dipped out there it seems, though £900+ is IMHO a complete joke, and anyone who will pay that price for a book needs their head examined.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Strange marketing strategies Leaping Horseman books.

Release in limited numbers at pretty exorbitant prices. Then make squad out of the hyper-inflated prices they sell on the second hand market.

Can't help thinking that if they got real...released these military books at a price which they are actually worth (ie. £30-40) that they'd make more sales, and create a larger profit for themselves.

But what would I know.
Martin,

Happy new year mate, yep, that would make a lot more sense, knock them out at a good affordable price and keep them in print, demand will be there and you will sell a lot more.

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Martin,

Happy new year mate, yep, that would make a lot more sense, knock them out at a good affordable price and keep them in print, demand will be there and you will sell a lot more.
Same to you mate and thanks for the Paypal transfer. I'll give Eric the money when I see him at IF in November....he'll sink it in whiskey within 10 minutes

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You may be in luck. Hamilton is writing a 3 volume study of the battles between the Oder and Berlin, the final volume (yet to be published is advertised as a very detailed study of the Berlin battle). I'm speculating that it may well be an updated version of 'Bloody Streets'.

Paul

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I just sold my copy (with map) for £120 on E-bay, I wanted more, but that is what I got, so I dipped out there it seems, though £900+ is IMHO a complete joke, and anyone who will pay that price for a book needs their head examined.
Amazon secondary market pricing generally runs from the sublime to the ridiculous. look at any book on their list and scroll down. There was only one seller in the is particular case though. As you say it would be insanity to pay that sort of price.

I'd be looking for signed copy of the Doomsday book for that sort of dosh.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
This book is currently going for around $2,500 but the good news for people that do not have a copy is that he is doing a CH job on it due to more info availabl. He is rewriting it and will be done in a few volumes instead.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
You may be in luck. Hamilton is writing a 3 volume study of the battles between the Oder and Berlin, the final volume (yet to be published is advertised as a very detailed study of the Berlin battle). I'm speculating that it may well be an updated version of 'Bloody Streets'.

Paul
It is an updated revised version Paul, or so I am led to believe.

Last edited:

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Amazon secondary market pricing generally runs from the sublime to the ridiculous. look at any book on their list and scroll down. There was only one seller in the is particular case though. As you say it would be insanity to pay that sort of price.

I'd be looking for signed copy of the Doomsday book for that sort of dosh.
hahaha, damn right Paul, hope you had a happy Hogmanay Oppo.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This book is currently going for around $2,500 but the good news for people that do not have a copy is that he is doing a CH job on it due to more info availabl. He is rewriting it and will be done in a few volumes instead.
The Oder books were a little disappointing compared to the Bloody Streets format (BS was very Leaping Horseman, in style). I stayed away form the second volume until I saw a copy at half price, just before Christmas. can't believe that BS is now 8 years old.. I ordered my copy back in the days of the old Military History Book Club and recall that there was a significant delay before it was actually published so I'm guessing I may have actually ordered it in 2006-2007...

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
£645.00 on Amazon, or the equivalent of $50 in 2 years time.....

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

If you get any pub firm to sign on fore more than 500 copies initial release, you are WAY above the "fair market average" for freelance submissions.

A recognized author in their field of expertise like Jason nowadays could likely work out a 1500 copy run with royalties on any runs over the initial 1500. But that is for "presented on demand" submissions from recognized authors - not freelancers.

The rest, well you can self-publish on demand per copy ordered, or go out on a limb and get a better price for yourself in initial outlay of costs and try say a 50 or a 100 print run, then hope it sells enough to pay the printing costs.

Stackpole might do it, the title has enough demonstrated demand in the secondhand market over the years, remaining strong. Still, it needs to be enough to value at least a 500 print run, IMHO, to make it workable.