Island of Fire - Jason Mark

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
For anyone who hasn't read this and would like to but can't get hold of a copy I noticed it's available to read online via Scribd who allow a one month free trial period.
Cannot download of course, but thought people might like to take a look.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have that book. It is a very interesing read going in much deeper detail than most descriptions of battles.

von Marwitz

sswann

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Steven
Country
llUnited States
I also have the book. Its detail of the battle and the units involved is some of the best that I have read in 40 years of reading history.
A huge amount of assault engineer firefights in excellent detail.
The map is outstanding.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
I also have the book. Its detail of the battle and the units involved is some of the best that I have read in 40 years of reading history.
A huge amount of assault engineer firefights in excellent detail.
The map is outstanding.
We need some Stalingrad scenarios from it Steve, I know you can come up with something fabulous, Vic. ;)

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
Vic

I can vouch that DftB 122 - 'Prescription From the Commissar' was taken from Island of Fire. Also I would say that most if not all of the Andy Hershey scenarios were also taken from the book.
Andy does a nice job, both in his Stalingrad designs and in his proofing help for Dispatches from the Bunker, Vic.

Bryan Holtby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The map which comes with the book certainly shows a different look than we are accustomed to with the RB map. Mostly less roads, more railways, one RB factory is actually multiple buildings close together. We now know the Comm's house is actually a 1st lvl building, the x24, x21, z25 buildings are 2nd lvl buildings (4-5 stories), F33 G34 buildings area should be a large loading dock facility, the 'theatre' in west of the Comms house should be no hedges and probably Brush or Light Woods. Few of these things will change how RB is played, however if the actual Chemist shop building is in play instead of the RB rubble, the Comm's house harder to take. An argument could be made that the Sig33's should have inexperienced crews as their effect on the battle was far less than in RB.

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The map which comes with the book certainly shows a different look than we are accustomed to with the RB map. Mostly less roads, more railways, one RB factory is actually multiple buildings close together. We now know the Comm's house is actually a 1st lvl building, the x24, x21, z25 buildings are 2nd lvl buildings (4-5 stories), F33 G34 buildings area should be a large loading dock facility, the 'theatre' in west of the Comms house should be no hedges and probably Brush or Light Woods. Few of these things will change how RB is played, however if the actual Chemist shop building is in play instead of the RB rubble, the Comm's house harder to take. An argument could be made that the Sig33's should have inexperienced crews as their effect on the battle was far less than in RB.
i am not sure where you are getting that Comm's house is a 1st level building. Look at the picture on page 107. There are clearly 2 floors with a 3rd floor on the towers in front and in the back the roof looks to hold a third floor.

Also if you get a chance to play the scenario that I designed - Prescription for the Commissar, DftB 122 - there is an approximation of where the Chemist shop was ( note in the new RB there are Overlays for proper placement) and the Sig33's do have Inexperienced Crews.

If you get a chance to play that scenario it has proved to be a fun scenario - right now it is 8-7 favoring the Germans with a 6.89 recommendation rating. However this is not a small scenario and there is a lot of tension.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
i am not sure where you are getting that Comm's house is a 1st level building. Look at the picture on page 107. There are clearly 2 floors with a 3rd floor on the towers in front and in the back the roof looks to hold a third floor.

Also if you get a chance to play the scenario that I designed - Prescription for the Commissar, DftB 122 - there is an approximation of where the Chemist shop was ( note in the new RB there are Overlays for proper placement) and the Sig33's do have Inexperienced Crews.

If you get a chance to play that scenario it has proved to be a fun scenario - right now it is 8-7 favoring the Germans with a 6.89 recommendation rating. However this is not a small scenario and there is a lot of tension.
Playing that one right now & having a blast. I really like the SSR that the Commie's house cellars don't have LOS outside the building (as they shouldn't) and the inexperienced crews for the StuIGs (though it certainly hasn't curtailed them too much). I like the fact the edifice is considered a Fortified Strong-point but almost feel the TEM should have been raised to at least 5 (perhaps even greater & perhaps some more limited Fields of Fire from within-e.g.: fire from cellars). A great scenario as is however!

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
i am glad that you are enjoying the scenario. I based the rules based on the information in the book and of course the picture of the Commissars house.

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Excellent book. I have it. The big revelation for me was that the start line for the Operation Hubertus scenario and CG is wrong.

Bryan Holtby

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In relation to the other buildings on the map, some of which have 5 floors, the Comm's house should be a 1st lvl building, the Comm's house is much closer in height to the row of one hex 1st lvl stone buildings on P Lenina street. Inside the building there is a ground floor and a second floor as described on page 174, at no point is there any mention of a 1st floor so Im assuming the ground/1st floor are the same. At one point the Germans blasted holes in the second floor and fired flamethrowers into the ground floor. Ive not seen a good photo of the Apotheke but on page 104 it is described as having 4 floors, so it too should be taller than the Comm's house.

Because heights are relative to other heights on the map and not an actual height I feel that the heights of the buildings on RB are not accurate. Some buildings might become more important and others less so in certain circumstances but it probably doesnt impact game play much as its rare to have most or every hex in a multi hex, multi lvl building occupied.

This is in no way criticizing C K for this amazing product as he had few photo's to work with.