Island LOS

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
In the screen shot below the Beach Slope is Slight so the Japanese 447 in I6 can see the US squad on the Beach in K4 and any LC in the Ocean hexes. I6 also has an LOS to K5 and the Japanese squad in K6.

However, the .50 cal and 558 in N13 (or O13, P12) has its LOS cross an Ocean/Island crest line (L7) which is at Level 0. As the Beach hex(es) in K6 (K4, K5) is considered Level -1, would the MG and squad be able to see K4/5/6.

I am leaning towards 'no' as G13.41 references back to B21.2, which notes an LOS from a higher elevation (Level 0 in this case), is clear only -

"...if between it and the Water Obstacle hex, there is no other intervening hexesides (other than its own) of equal or higher elevation to it."

I recognise that B21.2 is speaking about Water Obstacles but as the Beach is also Level -1 I believe the LOS restriction would apply (as it would for a Valley (B22)).

Yes? (LOS blocked)

No? (LOS not blocked)

The rules are apparently silent on firing between different islands,... something I have only seen with the GT map as opposed to regular Beach Assault scenarios. If the 'channel' between the two islands were a River I do not think there would be a question on the LOS - it would be blocked.

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
In the screen shot below the Beach Slope is Slight so the Japanese 447 in I6 can see the US squad on the Beach in K4 and any LC in the Ocean hexes. I6 also has an LOS to K5 and the Japanese squad in K6.
I don't think it does, as hex J5 and J4 are not Hinterland hexes - they are Island hexes. Hence, the LOS per G13.2 does not apply.

N13 would not have a LOS to anything at Level -1 "behind" a Level 0 hex on the other Island either.

See also errata from ASL Journal 11 to SSR GT11.
SSR GT11: Line 3, change Hinterland to Island.

Last edited:

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Hmmm,.. yes, I see that.

However, G13.15 does not explain what 'bearing' Island hexes have on G13.2 (and other rules) nor explain how LOS for different Beach Slopes on "Island" hexes would work.

The only reference to "Islands" in the index is G13.15.

So,... if G13.2 is not used for Beach Slope and LOS that leaves only A6 LOS rules? G13.41 only speaks to non-Beach/Ocean hexsides so that is of no help.

If I understand the situation correctly we would then use the regular LOS rules (A6), which would mean the J4-6 hexsides with K4-6 would form a regular crestline per B21.2, and the "slight slope" rules are there only for Sand, MF/MP costs and Bog rules.

Is this your understanding?

**G13.5 itself appears inconsistent as the GT CG (in its original release) actually uses Island Overlays, something G13.2 says does not exist.