Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I think not because the LOS is not "exactly" along the hexspine with a hedge.

LOS_Hedge_Q.jpg

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Aren't there Q&A on this?

This is similiar to the Bocage case discussed not so long ago.

General Mayhem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I hate this interpretation of the rule. Not down the hexspine and the hedge blocks, down the hexspine same hedge does not block, something broken there. I think it would be better if the rules said the los had to cross the hedge hexside not just touch the hedge depiction.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Last edited:

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I agree that this LOS is blocked.

There are two aspects of a hedge and/or wall that can affect LOS. The first is the hexside itself (inclusive of both vertices) for which the mapboard depiction doesn't even matter. Even when one vertex is free if the depiction, the wall/hedge is considered present. This all seems clear from B9.1-9.2.

The second aspect of a wall/hedge that affects LOS is the mapboard illustration itself which can always be treated as any other half-level, LOS-blocking terrain - so long as the LOS does not cross that wall/hedge hexside nor run exactly along it (in which case it is handled as above).

In the OP example, the wall's hexside is neither crossed nor run along, so the little blip of hedge counts the same as if it were half-level woods in Z3. I would suggest that you redraw this thread as both end points are slightly off - both to the benefit to the hedge! Still, it's a squeaker, and I imagine if your thread can avoid the hedge, it will hit the stone building instead!

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's the warping effect from trying to project a straight wall onto hexagons.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I hate this interpretation of the rule. Not down the hexspine and the hedge blocks, down the hexspine same hedge does not block, something broken there. I think it would be better if the rules said the los had to cross the hedge hexside not just touch the hedge depiction.
+1. This is totally absurd.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The fun part is when the LOS is drawn on the other side: is it hexspine artwork or hexside artwork?

JR

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
If we're talking hedges, the obstacle is connected to the viewer/target hex and shouldn't block from any angle (barring a 3 way connection). It's when the target/viewer is beyond the touched hex (for instance in X1 if a similar clipping occurs) that the clipping becomes an issue if I remember that thread's conclusions.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since the Hedge depiction is an extension of the hexside and the LOS doesn't seem to leave the hexside once it has entered the hedge (e.g. it is along the hexside). I would also say it's a +1 as the hedge doesn't extend into Z3 but is therefore an extension of the hexside (i.e. a fat hexside). JMHO

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I read that answer (which is not in my collection of Perry Sez from Klas, V19); Perry said it was blocked, although he was responding to a bocage question.
Isn't there a difference between bocage and a hedge ?

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry to jump in so late, but I don't understand what is wrong with this interpretation (though that could well mean I don't have the rule right!). If a MMC is staring edgewise done the length of a hedge, most if not all of the members of that MMC have a clear LOS (assuming they follow standard military doctrine, and spread out). Just not the guy with his nose pressed up against the hedge end. Shift the proposed LOS a smidgen off the hexspine (so as to contact hedge artwork), however, and half or more of the members of the MMC are blocked. Which reasoning is consistent with the bocage rule since bocage is so much more substantial, even edgewise, so it blocks at least in game terms even when viewed down the hexspine.

So what am I missing?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Sorry to jump in so late, but I don't understand what is wrong with this interpretation (though that could well mean I don't have the rule right!). If a MMC is staring edgewise done the length of a hedge, most if not all of the members of that MMC have a clear LOS (assuming they follow standard military doctrine, and spread out). Just not the guy with his nose pressed up against the hedge end. Shift the proposed LOS a smidgen off the hexspine (so as to contact hedge artwork), however, and half or more of the members of the MMC are blocked. Which reasoning is consistent with the bocage rule since bocage is so much more substantial, even edgewise, so it blocks at least in game terms even when viewed down the hexspine.

So what am I missing?
You are missing the fact that you are developing very dubious reality argunents, where we are speaking of the application of a rule where terrain is depicted by hexes.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Sorry to jump in so late, but I don't understand what is wrong with this interpretation (though that could well mean I don't have the rule right!).
Which interpretation do you think people are saying is in effect?