Is this cheating

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I'm certainly no expert, however I must have missed those historical accounts of the USMC working parties tasked with filling in entrenchment and shellholes during lulls in the fighting.
Ahistorical gaminess.
Alternate history, in a game. Whatever next.

Bill Kohler

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone ever done this, and why?
I've accidentally left off some Panjis, and didn't realize it until halfway through the game. It was probably a brilliant move, because my opponent was cautious in moving throughout the game.

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've had only two bad experiences in 30+ years of play, so I think ASLers are better examples or good sportsmanship and fair play than the average person on the street.

In one, I had reminded my opponent several times that I had rolled his SAN, to my detriment. He never mentioned when he rolled my SAN. On the final turn, I took a shot at his AFV about to exit the board for the win, hit with AP, and I said I rolled 1 > the TK#. My opponent rolled for possible Shock and passed. I then noticed it was a rear shot (it had info counters on it) and it should have been = the TK#. He said "A.2" and continued to move the AFV.

In the other, I was asked by the TD to check if a player cheated. We played. He was moving a stack. "Bypass, 1" he said. "Which hexsides?" I asked. "This one and this one." was the answer. So I said "I fire from here to there, 4FP-2." and he replied "Then I'm bypassing these other two hexsides.". This was a test, so I let it go.
The scenario VC was building control. Near the end I broke through with a HS and started grabbing buildings, only for him to move a HS set up well behind his front line to stop me, a HS I hadn't noticed earlier. During play he sloppily kept a pile of fire counters, DM, CX, and his eliminated/ELRed units on the board end nearest to him. I'd secretly kept careful track of the units I'd eliminated, one squad through KIA and two HS through CRs, and I was quick to sweep up all his in-play units at the end to put them away (and count them). At the end of the game, he had 8.5 squad-equivalents in play. He started with 10. A mysterious HS in his rear area gave him the win but my report to the TD was "Yes".

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Has anyone ever done this, and why?
I'm not sure if I remember correctly:

I think I might have considered this in a scenario which featured Motorcycles and Sidecars but in which that side was not explicitly required to enter using them. At least some of them seemed not to be of much use/consequence but the terrain was such, that entering on them appeared more dangerous than entering on foot with better cover. Entering the covered hexes and dismounting would have consumed more MF. So the question was whether the Motorcyles had to be used or could be forfeited/left offboard in the given situation.

Edit:
After posting, I read that apparently Robin and Bob did the same on similar occasions.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
In Encounter at Cornimont, German enter with motorcyles under the sights of the French HMG.
Leaving the motorcycles offboard and moving on foot could be a better option (no Bail out + RF attack if failed PTC/MC).
But the German doesn't lose CVP for not bringing the motorcycles in play.
It's not always about VP.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
I'm not sure if I remember correctly:

I think I might have considered this in a scenario which featured Motorcycles and Sidecars but in which that side was not explicitly required to enter using them. At least some of them seemed not to be of much use/consequence but the terrain was such, that entering on them appeared more dangerous than entering on foot with better cover. Entering the covered hexes and dismounting would have consumed more MF. So the question was whether the Motorcyles had to be used or could be forfeited/left offboard in the given situation.

Edit:
After posting, I read that apparently Robin and Bob did the same on similar occasions.

von Marwitz
Errata or shit design.
Take your pick.
Most of it is implied.
Otherwise why list the motorcycles?
Anything left off intentionally needs to be told to opponent, he's basing the game off of the OB. You changing the OB changes the game, no matter how small.

No telling your opponent is cheating.
Pretty simple

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Errata or shit design.
Take your pick.
Most of it is implied.
Otherwise why list the motorcycles?
Anything left off intentionally needs to be told to opponent, he's basing the game off of the OB. You changing the OB changes the game, no matter how small.

No telling your opponent is cheating.
Pretty simple
Why do you always assume that your opponent is possibly cheating?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Why do you always assume that your opponent is possibly cheating?
I have never assumed that since playing Monopoly with Tom N. when he was the banker, wwbitd. We all knew he was slipping himself some extra cash as he purposely made it obvious. It was funny! Besides it was his game. He had a ton of good games! Nice guy and a really good chess player. Usually 1st or 2nd board on the High School chess team. Good times.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have never assumed that since playing Monopoly with Tom N. when he was the banker, wwbitd. We all knew he was slipping himself some extra cash as he purposely made it obvious. It was funny! Besides it was his game.
In case he became a banker later in life, there is nothing much in which he would need to alter his behavior it seems. EXC: It would not be funny any more.

von Marwitz

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have never assumed that since playing Monopoly with Tom N. when he was the banker, wwbitd. We all knew he was slipping himself some extra cash as he purposely made it obvious. It was funny! Besides it was his game. He had a ton of good games! Nice guy and a really good chess player. Usually 1st or 2nd board on the High School chess team. Good times.
We used to play ‘Illuminati’ and stress levels could get high because cheating is allowed, lol.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I assume that my opponent is like me and is still playing some rules wrong after decades in the game. Reminding each other of what's supposed to happen helps us both with the game.
(Exception - I won't remind you about the victory conditions in a tournament game).