Is this cheating?

Is using the VASL "Map Annotations" feature, with its arrows and labeling, etc, HIPPED cheating?

• YES - but it's like a little white lie.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Action and I agreed on it, is that enough? Or are you now party to the agreement and must be included in the decision? These house-rules get so confusing. If only I could take the time to write down a plan but we all know that's verboten. The LOS rules mean we all must play blind. Fortunately, as I get older my eyesight fades so I don't need to poke my eyes out or anything. -- jim
Agreed, as long as we drink a cup of coffee each Rally Phase.
I was going to call this the Maxwell House Rule but we drink Peet's.😉
Major Dickenson's Blend

Last edited:

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In '92 Perry and Chuck Goetz did a series replay of Op Hill with Pat Jonke as the moderator. This had been hinted at as being nearly perfect. I got my copy of The General at Oktoberfest and eagerly started reading it.
Not far into a article I realized that units had been set up entrenched behind a paddy wall ( dike?, sorry been a long time ) and couldn't see the units being fired upon. Unclear anymore about the exact details but the point is these were some of the premier players in the game, writing a series replay and a basic mistake was made. The game is too complex for perfection, even by the best.

Sorry Perry, didn't mean to dig up the past. Sincere apologies if I remembered this incorrectly.

Also can't recall who made the remarks about nearly perfect. Could be faulty memory.

Btw our replay of Guryev's Headquarters was nowhere near perfect.
A.2, baby.

You pretty much nailed what happened in the '92 Annual, AJ, as outlined in the Letter to the Editor in the '93A Annual that we wrote (well, I wrote and we signed). The letter mentions Pat Jonke's tongue-in-cheek reference to the perfect replay, but I am not sure where that occurred. Not included in that letter was any mention that there had been a brief time during playtest when units entrenched behind a paddy bank could see past it, which probably confused us, but that sounded too much like an excuse. Veteran playtesters should be able to deal with the ongoing issue of "is that a real rule or just a playtest rule?"

The point of the letter, anyway, was to emphasize the importance of A.2 and not beating yourself up over rules errors.

As opposed to tactical errors, like not deploying when you should. ;)

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
A.2, baby.

You pretty much nailed what happened in the '92 Annual, AJ, as outlined in the Letter to the Editor in the '93A Annual that we wrote (well, I wrote and we signed). The letter mentions Pat Jonke's tongue-in-cheek reference to the perfect replay, but I am not sure where that occurred. Not included in that letter was any mention that there had been a brief time during playtest when units entrenched behind a paddy bank could see past it, which probably confused us, but that sounded too much like an excuse. Veteran playtesters should be able to deal with the ongoing issue of "is that a real rule or just a playtest rule?"

The point of the letter, anyway, was to emphasize the importance of A.2 and not beating yourself up over rules errors.

That's one of the hazards of playtesting the rules, remembering what is not there anymore! Fish mentioned that very problem in the 2 Half Squad's interview. You were there but I don't know if you recall that statement by him. He remembered all that stuff. How he kept it all straight is beyond me.🤔
IIRC he was referring to walls/hedges. Paddy bank would be in that same category.

Btw I still enjoyed your replay!

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
See below for an example of an ad hominem attack, this one by Bruce in a lovely farewell ode to me.
You're in good company, I think Aussie Pitman has half the board on ignore. Easiest way to get on his list is to disagree with him.

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It never even occurred to me that this might be viewed as "cheating". If someone printed the map out and made annotations on it for a FTF game, would you consider that cheating too?

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
A.2, baby.

I can't remember if I heard the " perfect " remark from Pat or not. I didn't really take it seriously. There was so much that went into doing a series replay bitd that errors were bound to happen, especially in the PTO.
Not sure why I thought it was in The General. Memory getting fuzzy and unreliable. Wasn't very good even back then.