Is there any DA Demo to download?

Safena

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
I'd like to try DA before I buy it, I know some of u might say it's worth every penny spent on it. From what I've read and the snapshots, this is the kind of games I'd like to play, but I need to try it before I buy it...so any chance please?

Safena

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Is it legal to get hold of a copy of the user manual of DA?
If yes, any chance to get one please? At lease from reading the manual I can figure out it suitability :cool:

bongotastic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
On the HPS site, there is a few documents that would help you make your mind (That is how I did it).

The planning guide is the one that I have in mind.

A word of cautions: DA is nice and on some aspect fairly in-depth. My biggest beef about DA is the fact that UAV have to be micro managed, which isn't what a force commander should worry about. Another drawback is that it isn't being developed anymore, and the community playing DA is small and getting smaller.

On the plus side, this is a style of gameplay that you will not find in any other title. If you are interested in modern operations and can spare the money, it is worth the purchase.

One of my initial motivation for beginning my own wargame project (see link in signature) was to extend DA's feature set. I'm not there yet, though...

BTW: if passing along a copy of the manual isn't illegal, I can give you a copy. I don't know if it's OK, however. It would make sense for HPS to let you look at it, though.

Last edited:

Safena

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Thanx mate, I appreciate the help. Concerning the manual, forget it, I don't want to put u in trouble man ;) the other files enough I guess.

BTW: I checked your web site looks promising...
1. Is it standalone...is it free?
2. If free, are u going to share the source-code? Open-Source would make it global and full of features :)

NB: I would like to help just tell me what u want me to do.

...can't wait to see it running...

Cheers

Last edited:

bongotastic

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yep, free, open-source and very open-ended (plug-in structure for models and doctrine/AI). I will restrict non-personal use, if this ever becomes an issue. I spent too much time, effort and late night hours dreaming up this software to put a price tag on it. I think that opening the source will make sense only after people starts to play it and determine whether it's worth their effort to invest time in contributing.

It is standalone: it can run on a single machine or on a server where everybody connect to retrive their situation and issue their orders.

I stopped promising a beta demo for a while since coding up is contingent to too many RL issues (one of which is due to be born in the next few days). But I will share an alpha release with a few brave testers in the next few months. I can add you to my list if you want.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Safena

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Oh please do so, I'd like to contribute. I do programming in VB.NET/C#.NET/some C/C++ (I'm no pro though!) Appreciate the offer ;)

EDITED:
So, it's done in Python...I have to learn a better programming language I guess! BTW: are u using Pygame engine?

Last edited: