IS there an "official" VASL discord server or just does everyone go it alone?

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Myself and Dr Snow once spent an hour trying to get it to work. Discord told us we were both logged in and on the system. It told us we were both connected with each other. Neither one of us got nary a peep of any sort of audio communication.

The UI is abysmal....maybe one needs to be teenager to see how to run it? I got better things to do with my time than trying to jump through that hoop. We ended up using Zoom.

Edit: I suppose that should be "Dr Snow and myself".....

Last edited:

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Myself and Dr Snow once spent an hour trying to get it to work. Discord told us we were both logged in and on the system. It told us we were both connected with each other. Neither one of us got nary a peep of any sort of audio communication.

The UI is abysmal....maybe one needs to be teenager to see how to run it? I got better things to do with my time than trying to jump through that hoop. We ended up using Zoom.
Zoom's pretty good .. took a whole course on Zoom.

It's been a couple of years since my teenage years but yeah man, you wouldn't know the difference if you see me.

:D PS Skype's just too "heavy"

Last edited:

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
We have had quality issues with Skype. Garbled voice transmissions. Not all the time, but often enough to find a replacement.

Both Marty and myself are in somewhat remote areas....he is off a local tower and I am off a satellite, which probably is at the root of some of our issues....but the issues are still very real for us.

So far, Zoom has been the most reliable system we have used.

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
Push-to-talk is often the issue when people in a voice channel can't speak. Don't know if that's the default value to be on. If the icon went green when you were speaking but neither of you heard anything, then it's probably something else.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
Push-to-talk is often the issue when people in a voice channel can't speak. Don't know if that's the default value to be on. If the icon went green when you were speaking but neither of you heard anything, then it's probably something else.
Also, your input/output settings can be different from your desktop OS...I find that to be a common problem I forget..
Make sure your mic is set and your output is set.
But yeah PTT is another...I'm secluded so I have open mic.
Give it another try or just LMK if you are on...and we can run through it.

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Been pretty happy with Discord. You can direct call the person (perhaps you have to 'friend' them first), which works really similar to Skype with a mute button on my Android phone. Signal also worked just fine and adds encryption for those who don't want MSFT or other listening in without some challenges.