Is the US Strategy misfired?

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Is the US Strategy misfired?

Originally posted by Tim McBride

So you would rather have heavy units that can get bogged down in that tight area fight them? Unit that are designed for manuever warfare fight in a confined area? The Marines are the best force for fighting up the river areas.
Tim, I never said they should be used for fighting, but speed and try to reach Baghdad with all of its forces rather than just one division. We have only one, that's 3rd ID, division 50 miles south and west of Baghdad, all other units are having a tough time.

It would be nice to get several divisions to Baghdad instead of just one, that's all I am saying.

So we should leave the flanks open? The 101st IS mobile which means it can cover the large exposed flank better in the sense that it can re-deploy rapidly to meet any force that threatens the flank. Which force should be protecting the flank(given the current situation)? Should the 101 be fighting IRaqi Armored units while the 3rd ID watches the flank? WTF? The 101 is the lightest force in the southern theater, it is NOT suited for head on conflict with heavy units.
No, I would prefer to have 3rd and 4th ID to cover my flanks, or at least protect my supply lines. With all fairness to the military commanders, I think they were surprised that the Iraqis weren't surrendering en masse. I think it's one of the reasons why there's only one division close to Baghdad, which made me uneasy.

Real war is not a game, no plan survives contact with the enemy. The biggest mistake was when we jumped off, we didn't have the troops in place, after that Franks has done a great job making the BEST of the CURRENT STITUATION given him.
I never said it was like TAOW or the other wargames. I fully acknowledge it's very real and deadly.

I just pray that Franks did warn Bush not to rush into the war so causally. Personally to me, I think Bush was tired of diplomacy and wanted to get the war rolling no matter how many troops we had.

So we should carpet bomb Baghdad? This will cause the active fighting to end quicker but will make what happens afterwards take 10 times longer. You can't have both. If we wish to be able to stabilize and rebuild IRaq we can't go off half cocked in our battle plans.
I don't know about carpet-bombing Baghdad, but waiting only means we're going to lose our initiative, and we can't have that happening to us.

My point was that Bush placed restrictions on the military in order to save his political career, it had nothing to do with rebuilding or protecting civilians, it was just plain politics.

I question just how much we should place restrictions on the military. Once a military war machine is unleashed, it makes little sense to place so many restrictions, as far I am concerned, war is hell, but if we went all way, it would end the war soon even with high casualty rates or collateral damage.

The one thing that upsets me that is that we take cautious measures when Iraqis aren't doing the same. They are going out all way to protect themselves, and they're desperate. They could care less about winning a PR war.

We're all too concerned with the casualties, and I appreciate, but we should know the risks, and ignore the peaceniks' rants.

I agree we should have waited for the 4th ID to show up, although they really did want to bring them in through Turkey, which was a decent idea, since it would have caused the Iraqi's to split up forces; a desirable thing in warfare. But things don't work out as planned. I think Franks has done a good job with the CURRENT SITUATION given to him.
I'll bite on this one. I agree with you.

Tim, but, I disagree about Turkey crisis. I don't think it was a decent idea, in fact, it was downright foolish even to think about it.

Trying to launch an invasion against Iraq is hard enough, why made it tougher by coordinating the invading forces from multiple directions so far away from each other.

We're not having them supporting each other, keeping in close proximty of each other.

Hindsight is always 20/20!
Again, I'll concede this, I do agree with you.

But even so, I think Franks and Bush should have taken in account how fiercuous the Iraqis can be in time of war and defending their homeland.

I refer to this as 'Hey diddle diddle right up the middle' strategy. A good way to lose troops; something the US DOES have to be concerned with.
I'm not sure what you are talking about.

If it were me, I would prefer to keep all of my forces west of Euphrate River, which the Republican units would have to cross the bridges and engage them out in open, which is exactly what I wanted, and moreover, the desert out alone would protect my forces as it's uninhabited and reduces the chances of Saddam's Fedayeen units running amok around.

I never wanted my forces to travel up middle between Euphrates and Tirgis Rivers. It's useless, and would expose my forces to countless ambushes and difficulties in resupplying such forces.

HUH? By Concetrating our forces we cause the enemy to spread his forces???? Why couldn't the Iraqis just fade into baghdad?
Maybe you're right.

But no matter what plan we select, Saddam would want to go out fighting to death.

Because of distance to Baghdad, it's virtually impossible to reach in time to prevent the Iraqis from fading into Baghdad, so as far I am concerned, we could have two choices.

1.) concentrating our forces around Baghdad to punch through quickly.

2.) or to wait for the other divisions to arrive, but it would Iraqis more time to prepare themselves for long siege or fierce street-to-street fighting.

Either way, we're going to see some Iraqi units retreating back into Baghdad.

And let the people inside starve? Hum, not the best way to win the good will of the people we'll have to work with once the war is over. Which light units? We've got Marines and the 101, the only light forces next to the British, which, whoops, are clearing the cities.

We did! Jesus man, you think within 60 miles of Baghdad in just a few days, isn't fast and furious? We move any faster you are going to start pilling up troops faster the we can replace them. Caution is a good thing some times.
Yes, we did reach Baghdad in a few days, but only with one division, which is not the way to do it, considering there's seven or eight Republican Guard divisions defending Baghdad.

If we don't have stomach for fighting street-to-street in large cities, then what's the point? The British troops outside of Basra are just waiting simply because they know it's useless to go in as long the British public is opposed and squeamish at the sight of a few deaths at hands of Iraqi soldiers.

The Marines are fighting through smaller cities, how would they fare if they were thrown at Baghdad? They wouldn't last very long, now would they? Saddam is hell-bent on fighting inside the city, so what choice do we have? It's either fighting or waiting them out, hoping that the people will rebel against Saddam inside.

I would prefer to fight some way into Basra or Baghdad, even only to establish safe havens for these civilians fleeing the city.

They are being used WISELY. We are short on forces. Who else given the CURRENT sitiuation should watch the flank? The British 1st Armored is being used as a REACTION force; what a fucking concept, using heavy armor to hit the enemy when you need support instead of having NO support.
As a reaction force? To what?

In my view, we need to secure the areas quickly and the best way to do this is to use the mechanized and armored divisions. We need to isolate all major cities to keep the irregular troops and paramilitary units from exercising the control over large areas and hitting us in rear & harrassing the supply lines.

If we could encircle Baghdad and Basra in a few days quickly, then it would cut down the abilities of Fedayeen units and other paramilitary units moving around to slow us down.

that's for light divisions and other smaller units' primary function.

I'm sick to fucking death of the second geussing the way the campaing is being conducting. Everything I heard you suggest with the exception of waiting for more forces would only cost MORE lives.
Tim, we're already waiting thanks to France's stubborn refusal and UN bickering. It has cost a lot of Iraqi lives, I'll be a man enough to admit it.

If we're going to end this war quickly. Then we're going to need a lot of forces available at hand to use instead of handing out deployment orders late in war and more in the next month (100,000 more).

If Bush cares to end this war soon, then he needs to have the forces do it quickly and bring the war to a rapid conclusion.

By rapid conclusion, I don't mean it to be like a nightstand with a prosituite, I don't mean that one. I realize this war is going to take time, but I wish Bush would have thought of it and send for more troops before starting this war late with heat raising. OR to start the war way back in January instead of March.

I think Bush thought France would be coming around to his view, but obviously, this wasn't to be the case.

Bush should have drawn some contigency plans for 4th ID in case of Turkey balking.

Its obvious to me some people can't deal with the situation at hand and want to second geuss everything we've done.

SO please excuse my frustration.

If you want to second geuss put some though into it.

_Tim
Okay, I can understand your frustration.

But it only angers me that Franks or Bush isn't thinking this through carefully, and messing up different units, and were completely puzzled by fierce resistance, either forced or real, from the Iraqis.

There are always second-guesses in this kind of war, I'm not alone out there, there are a lot of people like me, upset at politicking and bickering among the allies and military generals.

If the war actually goes very well, I'll swallow my pride and rants.

One thing, Bush and Franks could is to admit that they're making a ton of mistakes instead of deterring the questions.

I just want them be man enough to swallow their prides and say like a man, "I messed up pretty badly..." instead of lashing out at media.

Tim, do you have a better war plan? At least, I have my idea, what's yours? I don't mean disrespect, I only mean it as a curiousity.

Best regards,
Dan

Tim McBride

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Re: Is the US Strategy misfired?

Originally posted by Cheetah772
I just want them be man enough to swallow their prides and say like a man, "I messed up pretty badly..." instead of lashing out at media.
I agree with most of what you said, sufice to say we just disagree on the tactics. My biggest problem was with critisim of Franks, who has to deal with the shit Bush and Rumsfield dole out. I do have a problem witht he administration, but not Frnaks. He has dealt with the situation as best he can.

Tim, do you have a better war plan? At least, I have my idea, what's yours? I don't mean disrespect, I only mean it as a curiousity.
If I have enough time tonight during work(getting ready to head out the door) I'll outline what I would have done.

Do you want my hindsight plan(ie if I could do it all over again)? Or the one that starts with when we had to jump off(ie Bush gets itichy, hits baghdad, ground war starts cause Iraq lights up oil wells)?

_Tim

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Re: Re: Is the US Strategy misfired?

I agree with most of what you said, sufice to say we just disagree on the tactics. My biggest problem was with critisim of Franks, who has to deal with the shit Bush and Rumsfield dole out. I do have a problem witht he administration, but not Frnaks. He has dealt with the situation as best he can.

If I have enough time tonight during work(getting ready to head out the door) I'll outline what I would have done.

Do you want my hindsight plan(ie if I could do it all over again)? Or the one that starts with when we had to jump off(ie Bush gets itichy, hits baghdad, ground war starts cause Iraq lights up oil wells)?

_Tim

Tim,

I am a man enough to admit my war plans are based on 20/20 hindsight, so yes, in most of ways, I do MESS up A LOT, I mean it. I mean just look at my ladder points!

I'm not sure what to do with the forces at hand, in any case, let's hear your war plan if we had to start all over again.

I do respect your opinions!

Best regards,
Dan

Tex

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Re: Re: Is the US Strategy misfired?

Completely agree. And if anybody missed it, Rumsfeld not too subtley hung Franks out to dry in his news conference today when he announced it was Franks' warplan even though it has the handprint of Rumsfeld's small ground forces, heavy air power philosophy.

tigersqn

WWII Forum Staff
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Any problems with the campaign thus far should be put squarely on Rumsfeld's doorstep. For months leading up to the war, Franks was pushing for more troops to be included in the plan. SecDef kept sending the plan back down to be revised. Now the administration is beggining to see the light and has decided to increase the manpower pool in the Middle East.

I just hope Franks doesn't end up paying for Rummy's mistakes. He has done an outstanding job with the forces he was provided.

Tim McBride

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is the US Strategy misfired?

Tim,

I am a man enough to admit my war plans are based on 20/20 hindsight, so yes, in most of ways, I do MESS up A LOT, I mean it. I mean just look at my ladder points!

I'm not sure what to do with the forces at hand, in any case, let's hear your war plan if we had to start all over again.

I do respect your opinions!
I respect your opinions also.

Well here goes, I have NO idea how good it is

Here is my basic outlined; as it would be by the operational commander, in this case Franks.

My first request, way back in November would have been to the president that I could not assure operational succes unless given the forces needed and a jump off date of no later then the second day of the absense of the moon in March.

I would request the follow troops begin deployment to Kuwait by 1 week before jump off:
3rd ID(1 Bde already in Kuwait)
2nd ACR(L)
3rd ACR
1st Cavalry(in Brigade sized increments, these are heavy troops)
101st AirAssualt
All available Attack Helo units
all V Corps elements(Mps, Logistics, etc, first to deployed after 3rd ID)
1st Marine Division
4 MEU's with equipment left on ship, but troops in kuwait to ease troop stress
Current Naval and AF deployments would work for me
-I'll assume British and Aussie deployments would be the same

Request the following be put on alert/to be deployed state
4th ID (I would still try to deploy through Turkey)
1st Armored
82nd Airborne(2 Brigades only)
1st ID
Various NG and reserve units that will be needed for logistics, secuirty and rebuilding.

Once troops scheadules are assured the Whitehouse would of course step up the same old that they did; my change would be to use a bit more deception. Talk about how the pentagon plans on conductiing a long a protracted air campaign; just like the first gulf war. Begin feeling out various countries for support, begin recon patrols into border region to find AAA emplacments, radar stations etc.

Once diplomicy is exhausted and given the order to go I would ask for 1 week to prepare. The 4 MEU's would load onto ship and go into complete blackout, no contact except what is needed; media leaks would state these units are being rotated back to the states, to be replaced by unit currently being called up(this is to cover additional troop deployments).

H-Hour: Atack helo units would begin destroying Iraqi ground emplacments along routes of advance. Strategic forces(cruise missles, B-2, F-117) would begin hitting 3C in Iraqi. Hopefully the Iraqis will think this is the beginniing of just the air war and not expect the ground invasion. Tactical air would be split between on call for ground troops and pre-determined strategic targets.

H-Hour + 1: 4 MEU's conduct assault on Umm Quasr, British Commandos and Aussies to take other port area. 1st bde of the 101 conduct Air assualt North of Umm Quasr and port areas. This creates the hammer and anvil effect; the port needs to be taken quickly.
1st Marine and 3rd ID take axis of advance along euphartes toawrds Baghdad, capturing bridges but NOT crossing into river delta area. Special forces units will capture Northern airfields to prevent Scud attacks.
1st Cav, 1st UK Arm(- Royal Scots) and 3rd ACR would be the main spearhead towards Bahgdad.
2nd ACR and 2nd Bde of the 101 would secure the flanks of advance.
The 3rd brigade of the 101 and the Royal Scots will act as a reaction force for any resitance met.
173rd Airborne airdrops in Support of Kurdish forces, and to preapre for 1st ID which will be airlifted in. A small threat in the north should be enough to draw some pressure off troops in the south

H-Hour +2 - +60: The critical time, advance fast but with caution and purpose. Use reaction force and Tac Air to smash any resitance met, overwhelling firepower in a small area. Advances as far as logistics will allow. This will probally be in the Najaf area. Forces will now dig in and await the logistics to catch up, and for the arrival of the 4th ID, etc.
The 4 Meu's and the British Commandos with the Bde of 101 in support begin advancing in the river delta area to capture major cities. Basara is a major concern, since it is large and full of people who may support us. Special notes is the Marines will be under British supreme comand. By creacting two areas of advance the chance of Friendly fire incidents is cut down.
The 82nd Airborne should arrive during this time frame. It will be used were needed. Either to help the Marines and British clear the cities, to help advance along Baghdad; etc.

Anyways those are my thoughts that I threw together in an hour. Comments? I know there have to be some flaws in there.(Which is why generals have teams of people to work out all the details to get it all working with the best possible solution)

_Tim

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting strategy

Hello Tim McBride,

That's quite an interesting strategy...

One thing I would have liked to see is concentrating the air power solely on the first line of Iraqi defenses around Basra and the other ports, cracking apart these units (there were a couple of mechanized Iraqi divisions stated there, not just 51st Mech).

Ignore going after the command and control facilities, if the allies were unable to destroy them in the first Gulf War, then how can really we expect to do that again in the second war? Or at least destroy these command units in the field only.

What I am saying is focus on the military units only, why bother to go after the targets in northern Iraq if we're not going to open up the northern front for a while?

Yes, I know that right now we have to do that because 1,000 troops (173th AB brigade is there now) and they do need air protection badly. I am talking about the opening hours of the war.

If we only went after targets in southern front, then prehaps the Iraqis will find it difficult to keep up in face of such overwhelming air superiority and be forced to retreat back into cities or toward Baghdad instead of coming out to challenge the allies' supply lines and fighting in the rear areas.

What you think about air power?

Looking back in the Gulf War I, I think we should have used the air power on the Iraqi military units ONLY, ignore everything else, really going after them ONLY, it would even further degrade the Iraqi's military machine worse than what was done previously.

Dan

Tim McBride

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Interesting strategy

One thing I would have liked to see is concentrating the air power solely on the first line of Iraqi defenses around Basra and the other ports, cracking apart these units (there were a couple of mechanized Iraqi divisions stated there, not just 51st Mech).
Hum, I was thinking more along the idea of Naval gunfire.

Ignore going after the command and control facilities, if the allies were unable to destroy them in the first Gulf War, then how can really we expect to do that again in the second war? Or at least destroy these command units in the field only.
Well you can degrade them, which is a plus. No warplan the US makes would ignore this.
What I am saying is focus on the military units only, why bother to go after the targets in northern Iraq if we're not going to open up the northern front for a while?

Yes, I know that right now we have to do that because 1,000 troops (173th AB brigade is there now) and they do need air protection badly. I am talking about the opening hours of the war.
Yes but I would open up the North right away. 3C is important. The US has the avialable airpower in the opening moves. Further move our strategic weapons (B-2, F-117, Tommahawks) are suited for this; they are not very good for tac roles.
If we only went after targets in southern front, then prehaps the Iraqis will find it difficult to keep up in face of such overwhelming air superiority and be forced to retreat back into cities or toward Baghdad instead of coming out to challenge the allies' supply lines and fighting in the rear areas

What you think about air power?
Well for air power to be truly devastating the Iraqi's need to be concetrated, something they avoided during the opening days. Tac Air is only good if they have targets, if the units are spread out and hidden in cities the air support will not bew very effective(ref. Kosovo).
Looking back in the Gulf War I, I think we should have used the air power on the Iraqi military units ONLY, ignore everything else, really going after them ONLY, it would even further degrade the Iraqi's military machine worse than what was done previously.
The reason it was effective though is becuase the Iraqis were dug in in fixed postions. We knew were they were and could bomb indiscrimently due to the lack of civilians nearby for many of the forces.

_Tim

Last edited:

Cheetah772

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Re: Interesting strategy

Hum, I was thinking more along the idea of Naval gunfire.

Well you can degrade them, which is a plus. No warplan the US makes would ignore this.

Yes but I would open up the North right away. 3C is important. The US has the avialable airpower in the opening moves. Further move our strategic weapons (B-2, F-117, Tommahawks) are suited for this; they are not very good for tac roles.

Well for air power to be truly devastating the Iraqi's need to be concetrated, something they avoided during the opening days. Tac Air is only good if they have targets, if the units are spread out and hidden in cities the air support will not bew very effective(ref. Kosovo).

The reason it was effective though is becuase the Iraqis were dug in in fixed postions. We knew were they were and could bomb indiscrimently due to the lack of civilians nearby for many of the forces.

_Tim

One thing I wished we could have seen this earlier is Fedayeen units, obviously many of us, including me, really thought in early stage of war, several Iraqi divisions would surrender rather quickly, and face stiff resistance along the cities of Baghdad, Al Nat, Narisiyah, and Basra.

Right now, it's fast becoming obvious that many of these divisions are fighting because of these feared Fedayeen units.

Perhaps it would be better if we planned this kind of thing in mind by using SOFs and other paramilitary units designed primarily to deal with these units. The US Marines in Narisiyah and Al Najt shouldn't have gone through that kind of hell.

I am having a lot of second thoughts about merely encircling these cities, perhaps if we had gone in quickly, these people who are willing to assist us would able to feel a bit safer and eager to find these Fedayeen units, ferry them out.

As for civilian deaths, they're regrettable, but we can't have restrictions placed on our military just for sake of PR wars. I'm afraid this kind of restrictive warfare would only cause more deaths on our side instead of ending this war quickly.

The Fedayeen units knew we were uneasy about entering any city of any size, and they used this to their great advantage, perhaps had we gone in faster and more than willing to suffer PR war losses and casualties, these Fedayeen units would quickly find themselves in bad position and easily elminated. The last thing is Fedayeen units holding the entire cities at gunpoint and we're sitting outside doing nothing except to secure key bridges, etc.

Long before the war started, we should have our SOFs inside Iraq to scout out the paramilitary units and destroy their 3 Cs. In effect mingling with Iraqi civilian populations in different major cities would reduce Fedayeen's lethality and capacities.

Dan