Is the Nintendo Wii a blast?

Cheo

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Hi all

I want to get the Wii at some point after Xmas, but I'm not sure if it worth it.
It is the Wii worth the money? Is it really a new experience? Do you look forward for the next game when you are at work? How do you find gaming with Wii?

Well, I hope you can tell how much do you enjoy Wii and what kind of experience you get from it.

Thanks in advance

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
After having spent some time with all the new consoles, here is my conclusion.

Microsoft and Sony are targeting teen and adult gamers with the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Many of their games are sports titles, shooters, or RPGs that require a medium level of skill. They also have a lot of titles like Saints Row, Grand Theft Auto and such, which parents may deem unsuitable for younger gamers. Teen and adult gamers will find a pretty good selection of games to choose from on those systems.

By contrast, Nintendo is targeting younger gamers with the Wii. There are many games like the Mario series that are very well done, but generally not aimed at the adult male gamers. That’s why it's such a hot Christmas item, because Wii has a low price point and is an attractive buy for parents.

I'm generalizing here, of course, and you can find games of every genre for each system. But younger gamers will find more games geared to their tastes on the Wii, while older gamers will appreciate the more powerful Xbox 360 and PS3 with games like Gears of War and Halo 3. Just my 2 cents.

Cheo

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
Actually, the console is for my wife. She is computer illiterate, and only mess with internet browsing and email. She despises computers. However, she has seen this Wii adverts in tv and is starting to show some interest. I'm dying to get my wife into gaming, but I don't know if she will lost interest after a few months. She finds the physical interaction with the Wii cool, as opossed with her idea of computer geeks sitting all day long in front of a monitor.

Have you got any feedback from women regarding the Wii?

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Have you got any feedback from women regarding the Wii?
It's interesting that you should say that. It does seem that female gamers find the Wii to be an attractive gaming platform, although I'm not sure if this is because of the Wii's library of available games or more because of its "cool" factor and innovative marketing. That's a good question.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Wii's games aren't as good. Not at all. Wii has a lot of very well made games and -- I'm speaking in very general terms here -- games like Super Mario Galaxy, Dance Dance Revolution, Mario Party, Super Smash Bros, and Rayman appeal more to younger gamers. Older gamers will still find more sophisticated titles for the Wii, such as The Bigs, ProStreet, and Medal of Honor 2, so I'm not saying it isn't suited to adult gamers. But I think the Wii's true strengths lie in its appeal to younger gamers and the great lineup of these games.

That's just my opinion, and others may disagree with me.

Earthpig

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It certainly is FUN! played it at my wife's boss' house just did the bowling and baseball thing with the characters you can create...I thought it was a blast!But to echo Don, it is a family game(not that there is anything wrong with that:)).

Cheo

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
I think the Wii is going to get a lot of women into gaming. If they shift later on to other consoles and, ultimately, to computers, that would be a giant step. We are talking big business here. Women are great consumers.

Before the home internet era, not too many women were involved in the computer world. Internet changed it all. First with the chat rooms and emails and later on with online shopping. However, computer games has been always a no-go zone for women.

Now with Wii, we are witnessing an extraordinary phenomenon. I think the approach has been succesful because it has to do with gaming together with family and friends. In fact, women prefer interaction with other players (see how the majority of computer game female players play mmorpg's) and Wii has provided this in an easy and fun way.

It would be interesting to see what other posters think.

Live

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Get xbox360, got way more features then wii. Wii, you can only move and some time you will get tired and lose.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The Wii is a blast. Get it. You already have a PC to play on. You can upgrade that for most PS3 and Xbox type games. The price of the wii is worth it for the tennis alone. It's a joyous communal gaming system.

watalla

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My wife enjoys our Wii. The best games seem to be coming from Nintendo like Mariokart and Mario Galaxy. Bloom Blox is good and you may want to try Resident Evil 4 yourself if you haven't played it yet. I bought my Wii for my wife and kids. My daughter is 5 and my son is 3 so it is nice to have a system that I can play games with them around. I refuse to let them see and games that have violence in them. Just be careful since there is a lot of shovelware on the Wii so do your homework when selecting games to make sure you don't get stuck with duds that will turn your wife off the system.

Good luck!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Wii entered our home this Xmas.
It is really nice to play with kids and wife, moving quite more than being passively slumped in front of a DVD show...
As I follow Winston Churchill's health directive ("No sports"), my arms and back are aching... But I am having a lot of fun !

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wife got our family a Wii for Christmas also and even though we've just got the basic sports games so far we've had a lot of fun with it. Wife and I stayed up until 1am the other night bowling. I find it a lot more entertaining to be up and making the movements instead of just flicking my fingers on a controller to be a lot more compelling.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've had one for a couple of years now and it's a great social/party game system. The interactivity between the players and the game, and also between the players themselves is so much greater than the older systems. At Christmas we often play lots of boardgames as a family (not ASL, funnily enough!) and the Wii can recreate this kind of family gaming atmosphere. This Christmas I brought the whole system down for the family Christmas, but forgot the sensor bar. Our kid told me jokingly that I'd 'ruined Christmas'! Still it did mean that we got to play lots of Settlers of Catan so we had plenty of fun out the Wii. In between the drinking and eating of course!