Is the image database coming back?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Thanks, Don, for continuing to evolve this resource for us. Was sorry to see the image database go - is this the intended final state - i.e. will we now have to have a URL to be able to share an image on the forum?

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Thanks, Don, for continuing to evolve this resource for us. Was sorry to see the image database go - is this the intended final state - i.e. will we now have to have a URL to be able to share an image on the forum?
The attachments database on the old forum had grown massive and difficult to deal with because of the sheer size. Sadly, there was really no practical way to clean it up so it just had to go.

As far as the new forum goes, it actually has more options than the old one. You can link to an off-site image, but you can also upload an image via the "Upload a File" button when replying. You then have the option to either have it display as a thumbnail or as a full size image.

In addition, I will be activating the media gallery feature in the next few days, which will grant members a lot more options.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The attachments database on the old forum had grown massive and difficult to deal with because of the sheer size. Sadly, there was really no practical way to clean it up so it just had to go.
This is truly a pity. With the database missing, a whole lot of the old threads lose their value without the illustrations/examples for rules issues for example. Basically, I believe this means that much of the content has to be recreated from scrap in order to rebuild GS forum's strength as an ASL reference.

von Marwitz

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
This is truly a pity. With the database missing, a whole lot of the old threads lose their value without the illustrations/examples for rules issues for example. Basically, I believe this means that much of the content has to be recreated from scrap in order to rebuild GS forum's strength as an ASL reference.

von Marwitz
I believe many valuable threads had no illustrations. There will be some, of course, but I feel it is less than half of all valuable threads.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
You may be right. Nevertheless the loss is significant. And, of course, the process of posting rules questions with examples (pictures) does become more complicated. Finally, when searching the forum for answers, the search will likely turn up threads that have become of less use without the illustrations.

That said, I do understand the underlying basic problem why the database is no longer there. So, still a pity. But I guess it will just take some time to make better estimates of the impact and how the new forum works out.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
You can certainly upload images with new threads.
Yes, but doesn't this only apply to images that are online - i.e. uploaded to some online-place and then linked - or did I get that wrong?

I *think* this post is supposed to display an image of a KV-tank:
http://www.gamesquad.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/this-is-a-test.128124/

But I cannot see it displayed and am wondering about the cause:

1. Actually there is not a picture in there.
2. Picture's link is pointing to an offline resource (maybe his HDD if computer turned off).
3. Picture is only visible if you are a paying supporter of GS forum.
4. Maybe due to scripts / LSOs / tracking attempts blocked (though still don't see anything after allowing)

Sorry, in case some of these questions seem stupid. I am just trying to find my way around in the new environment.

von Marwitz

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Yes, but doesn't this only apply to images that are online - i.e. uploaded to some online-place and then linked - or did I get that wrong?
The little button on the editor only allows you to insert an image which is already online. However, you will also see another button further down which says "Upload a File." This allows you to upload images. In fact, it's kind of cool because it gives you the choice of displaying the image full size or as a thumbnail. That's a nice option to have.

In addition, I'll be turning the media gallery on soon. Once that is activated, members will be able to create albums in order to keep things organized.