Is Rubble Inherent Terrain

MLong

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
In determining LOS along the hexside of a rubbled hex (and the neigbouring hex is Open Ground), I am unclear if the rubble blocks the LOS or not.

24.2 "Ground level rubble is a Half-Level LOS obstacle through the entire hex (including hexsides...."

The example for 24.2 doesn't provide clarity as it is focused on the nuances of a rubbled hex within multi-hex building.

A6.1 is stated very clearly that inherent terrain DOES block LOS along the hexside, other obstacles do not as it does not appear on both sides of the thread.

I think the answer lies in "Is Rubble Inherent Terrain?"

Thanks again for your collective wisdom.

Georgii2222

Really Groovy Frood
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MLong said:
In determining LOS along the hexside of a rubbled hex (and the neigbouring hex is Open Ground), I am unclear if the rubble blocks the LOS or not.

24.2 "Ground level rubble is a Half-Level LOS obstacle through the entire hex (including hexsides...."

The example for 24.2 doesn't provide clarity as it is focused on the nuances of a rubbled hex within multi-hex building.

A6.1 is stated very clearly that inherent terrain DOES block LOS along the hexside, other obstacles do not as it does not appear on both sides of the thread.

The rule seems pretty clear to me, I'm not exactly sure what you're getting at.

It blocks all LOS along the hexsides/vertecies (sp?) for ground level LOS. For upper level LOS, treat it like a wall, e.g. you can see over it from first level, or if up-slope.

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
(this is for ASLRBv.1; I assume v.2 has something similar)

the black box on the Chapter B divider in the "LOS Obstacle/Hindrance" column means Rubble is inherent terrain.

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MLong said:

Rubble does block SAME LEVEL line of site along a hexside. Yes it is "inherent terrain".

But, do not be misled that all inherent terrain blocks LOS along a hexside. For instance, an orchard hex is inherent terrain but it does not block LOS along a hexside - it only provides a hindrance.

MLong

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks - that answers it - I should have looked at the divider. Doesn't get any clearer than that!

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
"For instance, an orchard hex is inherent terrain but it does not block LOS along a hexside - it only provides a hindrance"

hmmm I did not know that, I'll have to re-read the orchard section.

Peace

Roger

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
rdw5150 said:
"For instance, an orchard hex is inherent terrain but it does not block LOS along a hexside - it only provides a hindrance"

hmmm I did not know that, I'll have to re-read the orchard section.

Peace

Roger
And then there are the partial orchards as depicted in A Bridge too Far which do not provide hindrances along some hexsides (complete open LOS)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
In season orchard do block LOS from higher levels (and LOS along an in season orchard hexside will also be blocked)...;)

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robin said:
In season orchard do block LOS from higher levels (and LOS along an in season orchard hexside will also be blocked)...;)
and continue the sentence "if the LOS is being traced froma higher level and the target unit is in a blind hex per those rules.

The original question was same ground level LOS

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
USWI001 said:
and continue the sentence "if the LOS is being traced froma higher level and the target unit is in a blind hex per those rules.

The original question was same ground level LOS
I think the point is that any LOS effects (either same level hinderences or upper level blocking, or any others) are in effect down a hex spine for inherint terrain.

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jazz said:
I think the point is that any LOS effects (either same level hinderences or upper level blocking, or any others) are in effect down a hex spine for inherint terrain.
Actually that would NOT be a good blanket statement to follow

Rubble will not block LOS along the hexside from level one (or higher) to ground level since the rubble is only a half level obstacle.

That is why the original poster was having problems. :devious:

However, you are correct on in season orchards (since they are level one obstacles but the application of the rule depends upon the specific levels and distance)

Last edited:

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
USWI001 said:
Rubble will not block LOS along the hexside from level one (or higher) to ground level since the rubble is only a half level obstacle.
Which would be a normal LOS effect of a half level obstacle. :)

What I was saying was that all LOS effects, be they blocks, hinderances, to-from lower/higher/same level, etc...or whatever apply along the hex spine of inherent terrain.

MLong

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have got my question resolved and the issue for me was not the height effect but the much simpler - can two units at ground level with an intervening hexside of rubble see each other?

What threw me off was the example in RBv2. In particular the statement "However, a unit at ground level in H3 could not be seen from I2 because the rubble is a Half-Level Obstacle and, even though the LOS is traced exactly along the hexside, the H2 rubble and I3 building form a continuous obstacle (albeit of varying height) across that hexside."

The way this is phrased makes it sound like the LOS is blocked because the rubble is "attached" to a bulding and thus the hexside LOS is blocked. In my game situation the other hexside from the rubble was open ground and thus I had no "continuous obstacle".

In any case, I am once again wiser for posting here and seeing the answers. Thanks.

Matt Book

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Inherent is ....

What it boils down to is that anythign listed as inherent terrain causes some type of infraction, whether TEM or Hindrance in that hex, regardless of the depiction in the hex. So if it touches the hex or it's hexside or it's CAFP the LOS or LOF is effected.