Is overstacking mandatory in case of Routing?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Situation:
An enemy stack of three squads (edited) was broken by fire. During the RPh, the closest Woods/Building hex lies ADJACENT, but is already occupied by another two enemy squads. The continuation of the Rout is not possible without leaving said Woods hex.

Questions:
  1. Are the broken units required to overstack in the said Woods hex?
  2. Could broken units ignore the said Woods hex for routing purposes when overstacked?
  3. Could broken units continue the rout once overstacked in a Woods hex?
My gut feeling tells me, that they must overstack and remain in the said Woods hex. But what do I know?

Thanks for your help,
von Marwitz

Last edited:

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Mandatory.

A10.51 DIRECTION: A routing unit may never rout toward a Known armed enemy unit ...........................Assuming it can abide by the previous requirements, a routing unit must move to the nearest (in MF calculated at the start of its RtPh) building or woods hex (even if overstacked) unless that route is through/into a known minefield or FFE, or is not traversable (e.g., through a Blaze, unbridged Water Obstacle, Cliff, etc.).

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Situation:
An enemy squad was broken by fire. During the RPh, the closest Woods/Building hex lies ADJACENT, but is already occupied by another two enemy squads. The continuation of the Rout is not possible without leaving said Woods hex.

Questions:
  1. Are the broken units required to overstack in the said Woods hex?
  2. Could broken units ignore the said Woods hex for routing purposes when overstacked?
  3. Could broken units continue the rout once overstacked in a Woods hex?
My gut feeling tells me, that they must overstack and remain in the said Woods hex.
One enemy squad breaks. Two enemy squads already occupy the rout target Location. One plus two equals three. The stacking limit is three squad equivalents. No overstacking occurs.

JR

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
One enemy squad breaks. Two enemy squads already occupy the rout target Location. One plus two equals three. The stacking limit is three squad equivalents. No overstacking occurs.

JR
Well, there is that......

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You can't argue with the math.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

JR
Oops, I am sorry.
I erroneously (subconciously?) wrote squad instead of stack in my OP. This is now corrected.

But Jazz quoted the rule - overstacking would be mandatory.

Thanks folks and sorry for the confusion.
von Marwitz

JOS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
... overstacking would be mandatory. ...
von Marwitz
While this may be true given the geometry of your particular situation, that extra 1 MF cost for overstacking may sometimes create a valid alternate target.

Enjoy, Joshua

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
While this may be true given the geometry of your particular situation, that extra 1 MF cost for overstacking may sometimes create a valid alternate target.

Enjoy, Joshua
Correct, nearest valid rout hex in MF so an extra +1 might make it possible to rout elsewhere.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania

Enjoy, Joshua
The devil is always in the details, ain't it?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Unless it is in cover and there is no other cover to rout to?
It was the other way around - it has to stop unless it can directly enter another woods/building hex.

A10.51:
"Upon reaching a building/woods Location not ADJACENT to a Known enemy unit, a routing unit must stop and end its RtPh in that building/woods Location even if overstacked unless the unit can directly enter another building/woods Location in its next entered hex (not necessarily the same building or through a continuous woods hexside)."