Is MM28 SONDERKOMMANDO BENESCH a dog?

ThePrimeMover

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Well I played Germans - got stuck on the wire and was hit by 4 FP 1 fire lane attacks. In the end I broke - surprise surprise. Is that correct with move onto wire and FL?

Then we turned the mapboards around and I played Russians twice. First time used same set up as my opponent (as he wanted to show me how the Germans can wins - Roar says 3-3) and I couldn't lose.

Then I played with a different setup to see if I could somehow break the scenario mechanics and I still couldn't lose.

You really don't even need the reinforcements that come on turn 3.

What do the Germans have to do to win. We realised that the Russians have an 8+1 commissar (we thought it was a typo) but that didn't really have an impact at all. I kept him out of the way...

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Were those 4x MG putting down multiple fire lanes?

You would only get hit with one residual attack unless you do something to make yourself more vulnerable. A8.22, 2nd paragraph. Worst that can happen on the wire is you get hit by the original shot putting down the FL and then 1 FL resid attack....unless he does something that would make him more vulnerable like picking up a FT.....

ThePrimeMover

Reaction score
Country
llPoland

You would only get hit with one residual attack unless you do something to make yourself more vulnerable. A8.22, 2nd paragraph. Worst that can happen on the wire is you get hit by the original shot putting down the FL and then 1 FL resid attack....unless he does something that would make him more vulnerable like picking up a FT.....
Thank you Jazz. I guess my opponent is thinking that expending MFs on the wire (dr for that) would mean that you take that many shots - I was thinking that this isn't right (I mean potentially 4 x 1FP attaches may as well be a 16FP)
Just looked at your Ref. Crystal clear. Will inform opponent (with some finger wagging)

ThePrimeMover

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
A classic example of why you should try to play against a variety of opponents.
Listen mate, I consider myself lucky to have an face to face ASL oppenent practically on my doorstep. He's an experienced player but makes the odd mistake - who doesn't? I'm a fast learner simply because I write things down but I am pretty much a new player.
I don't have thousands of pounds to roam around the UK looking for players. Also you can't play VASSAL on a tablet IOS - (a Motorhome can't run a laptop) I'm off to a tournament next month or so which will give me the chance to play various players - but that's once or twice a year

ThePrimeMover

Reaction score
Country
llPoland

Would you pick up a FT on wire in a fire lane? Ouch!

ThePrimeMover

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
I wanted to keep the thread on track but the original question can only be answered by understanding the mechanics of the wire.

Is it a good idea to place a DC on the wire with a 10 leader? Bearing in mind there is a 1 Resid FL going down...

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I wanted to keep the thread on track but the original question can only be answered by understanding the mechanics of the wire.

Is it a good idea to place a DC on the wire with a 10 leader? Bearing in mind there is a 1 Resid FL going down...
That depends. A placed DC will only remove the wire on a KIA (DR 5 or less), so that's not a great chance. If the leader has FFMO & FFNAM, it will K/ or worse on the firelane DR of 3 or 2. If the result is not a K/ or KIA, a ten ML leader will probably pass the MC/PTC. If you use a ten ML leader against wire, you are not using him in some other way. So it's a matter of how much you hate this wire.

JR

ThePrimeMover

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
That depends. A placed DC will only remove the wire on a KIA (DR 5 or less), so that's not a great chance. If the leader has FFMO & FFNAM, it will K/ or worse on the firelane DR of 3 or 2. If the result is not a K/ or KIA, a ten ML leader will probably pass the MC/PTC. If you use a ten ML leader against wire, you are not using him in some other way. So it's a matter of how much you hate this wire.

JR
I see. Have you played this scenario? There's a lot of wire and a bunker with a MMG and Neg 1 leader

However, you lose about 5 cvp and game over

You don't exit 10 cvp off the length of mapboard in 7 turns and its game over.

I won twice as Russians which can only mean one thing - the balance is lousy! Lol! I don't win games let alone twice in a row...

ThePrimeMover

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
I know the ROAR (see first post) but cant figure out how it's 3 - 3

It looks like no one has played this scenario

I wouldn't have asked but it's one of the tournament scenarios - maybe that's why no one wants to let the cat out of the bag?

=FC=Gorgon

Minister of Propaganda
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would think that if it's a tournament scenario that the organizers are familiar with it and think it's balanced (or maybe provide their own balance). But I've never played it and don't own it so I have zero opinion at this point.

Danno

Ost Front Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why are you going head to head with the bunker? The VC say exit not fight the bunker. The Pillbox cannot cover the entire board. So go around it. Now the other areas will be covered but not by the fire lane. Generally the Pillbox is the center of the defense...why attack the center of the defense when the game is to exit off board. Also don't forget the smoke your squads have.

Remember it is a game of movement...it is the only thing you can do in the game without rolling the dice. You have a 100% chance of being successful. So move well.

ThePrimeMover

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
I would think that if it's a tournament scenario that the organizers are familiar with it and think it's balanced (or maybe provide their own balance). But I've never played it and don't own it so I have zero opinion at this point.
Fair point.

It's a nice little scenario. The bunker puts down the fire lane over the wire and can cover the whole width of the board. There are also trenches to add to the pain of the German commandos when trying to cross.

Reading the actual event the commandos tried to attack the pillbox but were beaten back.

You don't have time (or the risk is too high) for CC nor can you afford to lose more than about 2.5 squads.

I might play as Axis again

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The problem is that it is such a small scenario. At some point the Russians are going to roll low and hurt the Germans - who start with 16 CVP (five squads 10 CVP and 6 CVP of officers - one 10-2 - and the Russian SAN is 4 - so Murphy's law states goodbye Mr 10-2) and have to exit 10 CVP. The Germans have to cover 28 hexes to exit and have 7 turns to do so. The Germans face wire and the MMG will cover that wire with a firelane and the MMG will be sitting in the pillbox with a commissar (mapboards 7 and 40 are combined to form a long thin island).

If the Russians set up everything up front the Germans enter a world of pain......they cannot move around this, there is not enough room - they are not going to win unless the Gods of dice make the Russians roll high all the time.

It's not going to be my choice for the Double One tourny.

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States

ThePrimeMover

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Well, I've actually only been playing for about 2 years although you are right that the forward defences surprised me but not for long, you neglect to say that's because I gave up the scenario...