Is hex d5i3 (LFT deluxe boards) a woods-road hex? B13.31

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Interesting! I'm going to change my original answer - since no one else has responded - and say it is a woods-road hex. This because the RB doesn't seem to define this terrain other than to say that both terrains are present in the same hex.

Personally, I think it should be Open Ground unless that fire enters the hex across a bit of the woods graphic (but blocked if it crossed woods in another hex first). In which case, +1 TEM. No Air Bursts, and still OG after Infantry stop moving.

And being Deluxe, you could employ rules in which Infantry can enter those woods with an additional MF expenditure to enter and remain in said woods - though that likely opens a new can of worms...

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think that is the way you have to play it. LFT just took the design of a bit further than AH/MMP has done so far.

On a slightly different point, a vehicle in bypass is 'in' the hex, so does that mean it is considered on the road?

13.31 A moving unit in a combination woods-road hex is not eligible for the +1 woods TEM during Defensive First Fire (and is subject to FFMO/Interdiction) if the LOS does not cross a green woods symbol and the moving unit entered the hex at the road movement rate regardless of the relative elevations of the firer/target. (See A4.132) Otherwise, the normal woods TEM is in effect [EXC: a vehicle(s) in a woods-road hex is always considered on the road unless beneath a partial Trail Break counter].

I would get shot trying to shoot at a bypass vehicle outside my LOS by trying to claim it was on the road. Trivial update, but [EXC: a non-bypassing vehicle(s) in a woods-road <yada yada yada.../>

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I think that is the way you have to play it. LFT just took the design of a bit further than AH/MMP has done so far.

On a slightly different point, a vehicle in bypass is 'in' the hex, so does that mean it is considered on the road?

13.31 A moving unit in a combination woods-road hex is not eligible for the +1 woods TEM during Defensive First Fire (and is subject to FFMO/Interdiction) if the LOS does not cross a green woods symbol and the moving unit entered the hex at the road movement rate regardless of the relative elevations of the firer/target. (See A4.132) Otherwise, the normal woods TEM is in effect [EXC: a vehicle(s) in a woods-road hex is always considered on the road unless beneath a partial Trail Break counter].

I would get shot trying to shoot at a bypass vehicle outside my LOS by trying to claim it was on the road. Trivial update, but [EXC: a non-bypassing vehicle(s) in a woods-road <yada yada yada.../>
Not sure I understand the question exactly. There's nothing in D5i3 to bypass as you can only bypass an obstacle that exists at the hex center (excepting I think only those BFP hexes that contain multiple small buildings).

The closest I can see related to this hex is an attempt to bypass in J3 along the I3/J3 hexside. Only I don't think that is legal since the entire hexside isn't clear.

If you were bypassing either OG hexside of, say, J2 you would still be in J2 - not on the road.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
you can only bypass an obstacle that exists at the hex center
A4.3 "Bypass enables unbroken Infantry to move through a building/woods hex without entering teh obstacle in that hex ... whenever that obstacle does not physically touch the hexside being Bypassed."

No mention of hex centers there. D2.3 also doesn't seem to mention hex centers. To which rule are you referring?

JR

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
I've missed that rule. Which one is it?

JR
Not exactly spelled out, but isn't that the rule in effect? (though one coul quibble in a few cases)...

More to the point, do you see something wrong about my analysis of the above situation?

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Not exactly spelled out, but isn't that the rule in effect?
Although B.1 suggests that only buildings do not necessarily cover the hex center, there are woods hexes and especially woods-road hexes where the woods is not in the hex center (see, for example, the top image just before B13).

JR