Is Cheerleading a sport, apparently so.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cheerleading is now a sport at this college & volleyball is out due to $$.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/sports-15749645/20469338#video=20459697

To me any "sport" that does not involve a competitor actually hindering your actions is not a sport but an activity/hobby. Or more to the point: any activity that "only you" can stop yourself from winning is not a sport.

Such activities are: Golf, fishing, bowling, cheerleading... anything that can be done in separate states at different times by both parties since your "competitor" can't interfere/hinder your victory in anyway, except maybe psychologically.

Sports are: Football, chess, volleyball, wrestling... anything in which you competitor can physically hinder your path to winning.

Just being better at something than another person does not make "it" a sport- like the sport of BBQ cook-offs. :crosseye:

Last edited:

Morbii

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cheerleading is now a sport at this college & volleyball is out due to $$.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/sports-15749645/20469338#video=20459697

To me any "sport" that does not involve a competitor actually hindering your actions is not a sport but an activity/hobby. Or more to the point: any activity that "only you" can stop yourself from winning is not a sport.

Such activities are: Golf, fishing, bowling, cheerleading... anything that can be done in separate states at different times by both parties since your "competitor" can't interfere/hinder your victory in anyway, except maybe psychologically.

Sports are: Football, chess, volleyball, wrestling... anything in which you competitor can physically hinder your path to winning.

Just being better at something than another person does not make "it" a sport- like the sport of BBQ cook-offs. :crosseye:
So, is the 50 yard dash not a sport?

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, my daughter was on the competition cheer squad in High School for three years and was the Captain in her senior year. Those girls worked their butts off all year long as they start in summer, do the football season and basketball season and then into the competitions which takes them to the end of the year. It is very physical and after football, it is the next highest in injuries in HS sports. Yes, it is a sport. Tell 'em its not and they might take you out back and kick your @ss and you'll have to tell your pub buddies you got beat up by a girl. :p :laugh:

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I never said that those activities weren't physically demanding they are and more power to those that can do them & do them well. But any activity in which your competition is a clock or, you can win or lose it even if your competition isn't nearby I don't think qualifies as a "sport."

Activities like Cheerleading are competitive for sure but just like figure skating & gymnastics (and movie reviews) they rely on judgment calls not a struggle between opponents.
The "dash" and downhill skiing etc. rely on having the fastest time ONLY, not if your opponent can hinder your path to victory like in even chess.

I guess most multiplayer and online games could qualify as a "sport" if you wanted to be silly since the opponent can hinder you ability to win the game. So calling a competition of any kind a sport doesn't necessarily make it so and I again refer to the great sport of BBQ cook-offs.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It's not a sport.

Hey models can have competitions, but modeling is not a sport.

You can write for writing contests, but writing is not a sport.

Just because they do all manner of acrobatic stunts AT sports events, doesn't make it a sport.

Otherwise you would have to consider the band a 'sport' too. After all, I've seen band competitions eh.

Is being a mascot a 'sport? Nope, I don't think so.

Now being able to say you've done a cheerleader might make it a sport. But wait, that's still not really the cheerleaders doing. It's doing the cheerleader.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is very physical and after football, it is the next highest in injuries in HS sports. :

there are actually more catastrophic injuries in Cheerleading than in football.

This is why Cheerleader 'coach' certification is becoming more popular.