Is A Stiff Fight (J9/147) Balanced?

fanatic+1

Ryan Kent
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For those that have played it, is A Stiff Fight (J9/147) balanced? ROAR has 107 Japanese wins to 103 Gurkha wins for J9, but has 19 Japanese wins to 28 Gurkha wins for 147. All 5 reported Scenario Archive matches were Gurkha wins. My understanding is that the scenario has not changed with the renumbering. I am wondering if the level of play has gone up since the renumbering or if the puzzle of a super defensive strategy for the Gurkhas explains the apparent discrepancy. I understand the sample size is small, but it seems to me like the Japanese will have an extremely difficult time.

fanatic+1

Ryan Kent
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
51% vs 49% (in total 257 records) - seems pretty balanced to me.
I am just wondering if the discrepancy between the win loss records for J9 and 147 reflect something other than a statistical anomaly. I wonder because the scenario looks extremely challenging for the Japanese to me.

fanatic+1

Ryan Kent
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay, so the question becomes what am I not seeing that makes it look so tough on the Japanese to me. If I were the Gurkhas I would hide in the jungle 2 hexes from the road on either side all up and down the length. The Japanese would have to go on a bug hunt against stealthy cc machines with greater firepower. If the Gurkhas deploy it gets even worse.

buser333

Reaction score
Okay, so the question becomes what am I not seeing that makes it look so tough on the Japanese to me. If I were the Gurkhas I would hide in the jungle 2 hexes from the road on either side all up and down the length. The Japanese would have to go on a bug hunt against stealthy cc machines with greater firepower. If the Gurkhas deploy it gets even worse.
I agree in principal that it's balanced, as when I played it years ago it came down to the final CC, but I would choose to defend if given the option due to the fact that it's basically a dense jungle body block scenario.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Curious as to why you call it a "bug hunt"? Gurkha's dun go HIP nor does it have any "dummy" counters. So WYSIWYG

fanatic+1

Ryan Kent
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Curious as to why you call it a "bug hunt"? Gurkha's dun go HIP nor does it have any "dummy" counters. So WYSIWYG
Poor choice of words. Basically, it looks like the Japanese need to go chase the the Gurkhas all over the length of dense jungle on both sides of the road. The Gurkhas can just retreat and merely have to stay close enough to advance adjacent to a road hex on their last turn.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Poor choice of words. Basically, it looks like the Japanese need to go chase the the Gurkhas all over the length of dense jungle on both sides of the road. The Gurkhas can just retreat and merely have to stay close enough to advance adjacent to a road hex on their last turn.
And therein lies the game.