Is a Miniatures Wargaming Boom on the Horizon?

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Interesting post from Beasts of War concerning the possible impact that The Hobbit will have on the hobby:

http://www.beastsofwar.com/lord-of-the-rings/lord-rings-reboot-prepare-hobbit/

The question is, knowing what happend the last time round (with LoTR Movies causing massive growth) where do we see the industry in the next two years?

Exciting times indeed, if Peter Jackson creates another runaway hit, and GW can do the same thing (i.e. a good game) might just get very busy.

So major movie tie in, Flames of War 3, Warhammer 40K 6th Ed are we looking at the biggest year in wargaming?
Any thoughts?

I think it might be possible. After all...I'm here now, ain't I? :D My dalliance with minis ended many years ago and now I am back and more interested than ever. True, this has nothing to do with The Hobbit but with the sorry state of affairs that video gaming finds itself in. Still, I have to think that I am not the only such refugee. Could board games / miniatures see a huge feast due to a video game famine?

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, the movie should give the minis hobby a boost. But what i see moving along the hobby are games like Flames of War, WH and WH40K.

SoccerDJ

Reaction score
Country
ll
I don't see how more people, interested and money coming into the hobby can be a bad thing. Unless mini companies lose sight of their goals and pander to the lowest common denominator just to make lots of quick easy cash.

GW does make good LOTR figures but they are a bit pricey, and I've heard good things about their LOTR rule set.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have to agree with Blackcloud. I do a lot of surfing over at Bartertown and it has seen quite an increase in postings in the Historical section and I think its mostly due to Flames of War. There has been a huge increase in the interest in WWII. I see it as a good thing, though I don't care for the rules or the minis, I use mostly Peter Pig and Command Decision minis and my own rules, the attraction to the period that FoW has brought is great. I also see a lot more miniatures manufacturers popping up. Also the emergence of hard plastics into the market is great. Keeping the manufacturing costs down, in my opinion, equates to more minis, and more eras developed. The Plastic Soldier Company coming onto the scene fairly recently I think makes my point. I've also seen a growth in the availability and development of expanded lines in 10mm scale. It is confounding what with the condition of the global economy.

King Billy

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Got the Force on Force rules recently. 20mm (or 28mm) individual soldiers modern combat. Looks good. Can be played with 1/72 scale plastics, if you can find them...