Irish Civil War Scenarios CH #161-163

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Irish Civil War Special Rules on card #162 state:
  • IRA units are treated as Partisans (A25.24) in all respects…All IRA units may attempt to place/throw a 16 FP DC. Full squads on a dr < 3, half squad on a dr < 2, SMC on a dr < 1. On a dr of ‘6’ the DC explodes immediately in the placing/throwing unit’s hex and affects all units therein…
Question: Does the above rule about improvised DC’s only apply to the scenarios in which the IRA have DC counters on the scenario card, or is the 16 FP DC considered inherent (like a PF for Germans) to all IRA personnel in all three scenarios?

I ask specifically for scenario #163 Bruised at Bruree, in which the IRA does not have any order of battle given DCs.

Last edited:

pj norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The IRA was busy building improvised explosives in the Four Courts building leading up to the breakout of the Civil War. Even though the IRA was notorious for using improvised explosives throughout the Black and Tan War\Irish Civil War these are inherent DC and only for the Four Courts scenario. There were so many explosives in the Public Records Office of the Four Courts that the Free State Army shelling of the building during the battle caused a massive explosion that destroyed records dating back to the 12th century. Winston Churchill remarked that "Better a state without public records than public records without a state. " Sorry that it took 10 days for me to notice this post. pjn

Last edited:

pj norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Having a second look at this, it’s been years, it looks like this rule is applied to all three scenarios. As I’ve said, the IRA were notorious for explosives. Early in the Black and Tan War the IRA would often throw dynamite into the open top of passing British Army trucks. The British responded by covering the backs of their trucks with canvas or even chicken wire where they lacked canvas. The IRA began wrapping their explosives with fishing lines that had fish hooks on it in order to catch on top.

pj norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bruised at Bruree is a great scenario and was a lot of fun during playtest. The Irish riders was inspired by stories of fighters riding into the fire-fight hanging on the outside of a truck, making them, quite possibly the first Riders. Disregard the dates of riders in D6.2 and treat the truck as an AFV for purposes of this rule.

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Having a second look at this, it’s been years, it looks like this rule is applied to all three scenarios. As I’ve said, the IRA were notorious for explosives. Early in the Black and Tan War the IRA would often throw dynamite into the open top of passing British Army trucks. The British responded by covering the backs of their trucks with canvas or even chicken wire where they lacked canvas. The IRA began wrapping their explosives with fishing lines that had fish hooks on it in order to catch on top.
Gah! I just notated on my Rules Notes Card that the SSR didn't apply! I'll have to print another.