Iraq

Dog 1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'd like to but I don't have a good small scale map.. say 5km a hex..

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
The existing maps that I have seen are not very high quality. I'm messing around with a scenario of my own right now. I'll post an update of how it is going soon.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Dog 1
Do you need any help?
I probably will. The map is 99% complete and I'm planning how I envision the scenario unfolding. Obviously, a straight fight between Iraqi and US forces isn't going to be terribly interesting so I'm planning to throw in quite a few hypotheticals. Iran will probably figure in this equation in some form or fashion as well as the Kurdish anti-government forces in the north.

I've been collecting OOB data for a while and it shouldn't be too hard to come up with a believeable US OOB. The Iraqis are a bit more of a challenge so a degree of abstraction may be necessarry here. I believe I can come up with something credible. I may need help setting up some of the more complex events and playtesting this baby when I get to that point though.

I will certainly seek out advice from Daniel McBride as well when I get something a bit more concrete. His advice on the finer points of setting up OOBs and the event engine is invaluable. One thing I'm sure to need help with is information on the Iranian military. At this point I'm not sure if the regular Iranian army is going to be a part of the scenario or perhaps a brigade or two that are sent in to participate in the "liberation" of Iraq. There are quite a few plausible situations I can dream up.

Ben Turner

Reaction score
Country
ll
Any conventional invasion of Iraq by the US is going to be pretty much a walkover- or else dominated by political rather than military concerns...

What I'd like to see is an attempt to model the result if the US "goes for the jugular"- lands a large airborne contingent right on top of Saddam's residence in Baghdad and airlifts him out (or has him conveniently killed in the crossfire), all within a few hours (this is one of the plans that has been considered by the US Armed Forces). What would be particularly interesting is to simulate this plan going disastrously wrong (and it is a fairly risky plan)- this leaves the US in a weak position which they would otherwise not get into. Can the Iraqi army regroup and smash the paratroopers before armour comes up from Kuwait to relieve them?

Of course, with the map and OOB in place, a designer could make this and several other Iraq-based scenarios. There's no reason to limit yourself to just one set of circumstances.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
This is one of the scenarios I have already thought up. US airborne against Republican Guard could be an interesting fight.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I need someone to post a current OOB that I can use for TOAW for a standard US Army mech infantry battalion. Thanks.

Dog 1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
44 M-2a3's, 4 M-577's 6 M3A3, 6 Tracked 120mm Mortars , 27 assault At + squads, 27 javelin atgw, 4 stingers, + POL Trucks and supply... from the 4th mech... force 21 battlions, Other's have 58 Tanks or IFV's... :)

Last edited:

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Dog 1
I'd like to but I don't have a good small scale map.. say 5km a hex..
Check the Warfare HQ Map Archives. I have posted a 10km/hex Iraq map that others can use. It may be a good start point.

Tim

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Al Sandrik created one it is called Operation Final Justice. I found it at rugged defence website.:cool: