Iraq Deployments

Lt. Dan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's the thing. I'm thinking about joining the US Army Reserve in the coming months and I was wondering if some of you who've been there could give me some information. I just wanted to know the likelihood of being sent to Iraq in an MOS such as 21 Mike (Firefighter) or otherwise put on active duty in some other theater. My concern is being called up while in college...and getting maimed or killed in Afghanistan or Iraq. I want to serve, but I also want to finish a degree in a reasonable amount of time. This is something that has really become a flashpoint in my family, and in my thoughts. If anyone has personal experience with this, I'd just like your advice. Thank you.

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For what it's worth, if you join, you volunteer to go wherever, and whenever called. Your education is secondary to the needs of your country.

As a firefighter, your deployment to Afghanistan or Iraq is remote, but still possible.

You take your chances and live with your choices!

Tim McBride

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you join the reserve you should expect to be deployed. If you don't want to get deployed or mess up your schooling; don't join the military.

chrisvalla

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With the service comes the risk you may or may not be called up and may or may not be sent overseas and may or may not be hurt or killed. If any of those is something you aren't willing to do or can't or won't live with, right now might not be the time to join the military service (maybe civil service instead?)

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you are already in college then I suggest that you finish your degree. If you are inclined toward military service then I guarantee you that it will still be there after you graduate. That is the same advice that I gave my son. He didn't listen to me and while I was proud that he joined up and that he served in Afghanistan, I would have been no less proud of him if he had waited.

Last edited:

Richa333

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Listen carefully to these fine gentlemen! -One of my best bud's stepson wanted to learn to fly whirly birds, so he joined the Army & applied for Warrant Officer school / helicopters. Half a year and half a million dollars in, his wife decided she couldn't live without him so he asked to resign & be re-assigned to where wifey was living ... the Army decided that no, a 6-year contract really did mean 6 years: so they kicked him out of Aviation School & are reassigning him to Fort Lewis. Lesson being: he shouldn't have signed up without knowing fully himself, AND ALSO his wife fully knowing herself, regards what the military life actually means. Now he's still got to serve the 6-year contract, except as a ground-pounder instead of a 'copter jock: woops.

Don't join for the benefits. Join only if you want to sacrifice yourself for your country, and if your wife agrees with that choice...

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Richa333 said:
Join only if you want to sacrifice yourself for your country, and if your wife agrees with that choice...
Harumph. Good wives are easy to find but we only have one country. :)

Marines

Reaction score
Reserve unit deployments are currently going at a sustained level of rotation. Your chances of being called up and deployed are more likely than if you decided to enlist on active duty. I would suggest you finish school before you make that decision.

It appears my unit is scheduled for call up again.