Invitation: Death To Fascism VASL tournament

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Dear all,

I am considering running a limited-size VASL tournament using Death To Fascism scenarios - tentative in about 10 days from now.

In each round, a single scenario will have to be played, you will be informed at start of the Round which of the 8 DTF scenarios is on the cards.

Maximum 16 players, knock-out style (maximum 4 games) for the victory, but open games welcome afterwards. Two games per day, two week days in a row, possible Tuesday-Wednesday.

The tournament will be held during daytime in Eastern Canada, that is afternoon and evening in Western Europe. Due to scheduling limitations, I would have to exclude folks well outside those time zones.

The two finalists would play a new and - as yet unpublished - Death To Fascism Scenario and the Tournament winner will get a free copy of the second DTF Pack, Not One Step Back!

I would be happy to support/administer this.

Please respond here or PM me if this suits your wide open VASL agenda!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm in Spencer's boat. Not in the office, but working from home, so the weekdays are a killer.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Hi Carl,

understood. If the first tourney goes well, I will repeat it for another gang of 16 in a weekend - does that sound alright?
One scenario/evening over a few evenings (maybe two-day windows?) seems ideal to me. Committing a whole weekend is pretty brutal, too. I love what Brian is doing with the MMP tourney. Short windows, but some flexibility. Everybody's situation is different, but committing a couple whole days in a row seems to be the most restrictive way you can do it. When it was Nor'Easter and people already had the time blocked, it made sense. Anything new, that format seems like a pretty exclusive choice.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
One scenario/evening over a few evenings (maybe two-day windows?) seems ideal to me. Committing a whole weekend is pretty brutal, too. I love what Brian is doing with the MMP tourney. Short windows, but some flexibility. Everybody's situation is different, but committing a couple whole days in a row seems to be the most restrictive way you can do it. When it was Nor'Easter and people already had the time blocked, it made sense. Anything new, that format seems like a pretty exclusive choice.
Hi Spencer,

I was planning a knockout system, where you don't have to participate any further as soon as you have lost a game. Those who still want to play on in friendlies can arrange it on their own....I will just hook them up and they can play at their own pace/timing.

Let me find out how the first attempt works out - I assumed with the pandemic situation there are 16 guys who may have time to waste on weekdays.....and the only real attraction for me to organise it is in providing something fun for those folks. I am not a VASL tourney guy, as you may know.....

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
Hi Spencer,

I was planning a knockout system, where you don't have to participate any further as soon as you have lost a game. Those who still want to play on in friendlies can arrange it on their own....I will just hook them up and they can play at their own pace/timing.

Let me find out how the first attempt works out - I assumed with the pandemic situation there are 16 guys who may have time to waste on weekdays.....and the only real attraction for me to organise it is in providing something fun for those folks. I am not a VASL tourney guy, as you may know.....
I'm not saying you're wrong to try it, just suggesting other options. MMP's is knockout, too.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
OK one quick update:

I will schedule the actual VASL event ("Death To Corona Tournament) as soon as I have the 16 participants more or less confirmed. I will then work out times and dates. I would like to finish all games within a few consecutive days, but will be flexible since this is your time and VASL. I will try to be around and available to support rules questions etc.

I will use personal emails and Gamesquad announcements to keep you all posted.

I hope that sounds friendly, easy and fun for everyone.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Might have a player for you who is not on these boards, would it be alright if I sent you details privately?

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Might have a player for you who is not on these boards, would it be alright if I sent you details privately?
absolutely, just drop me a PM Vinnie. I can email the person or give you my email

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
What is the MMP tourney?
Over on Facebook, Brian Youse is organizing a VASL tournament. 8-man knockout brackets, further details to be announced. Six brackets full so far, one SK, close to filling a 7th. First round to be done by lunchtime Sunday.

EDIT: He JUST posted bracket 7 filled.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Quick update: 10 out of 16 spots have been taken.

I expect this to fill up today or tomorrow, so please let me know soon if you are up for it!

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Over on Facebook, Brian Youse is organizing a VASL tournament. 8-man knockout brackets, further details to be announced. Six brackets full so far, one SK, close to filling a 7th. First round to be done by lunchtime Sunday.

EDIT: He JUST posted bracket 7 filled.
For those of us without a Facebook account and who signed up for the tournament, is the bracket information available someplace else?

Last edited:

JoeArthur

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sign me up please :) Hopefully it is not going to be too late a finish in the evening (currently on GMT +1 here in the UK)?

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Sign me up please :) Hopefully it is not going to be too late a finish in the evening (currently on GMT +1 here in the UK)?
Joe, you are in.

The UK is now at GMT+1 ? Is that also one of the Coronavirus messages ? Shockingly Bold!