InValid Title

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Shield or not, excessive crew casualties aren't realistic. If you have a lot more crew casualties in your game than reported in real life then the modeling has some flaw in it.

Old Dog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I beg to differ.
The person in the photo behind the .50 is in the TC's (Track Commander's) hatch. The gunner's position in the turret is directly forward of the TC's position. The loader is on the left of the turret. See the movie "Fury" if you get a chance.

Old Dog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yup. The WW II M1919 (and the more recent M-60) .30 cal MG is a lot easier to handle (and hit things with) than the .50. It's also got a higher rate of fire. So putting the .30 near the TC is realistic....and practical.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
View attachment 53026
late version of the M4. Loader is on the 50 cal side.

Edit: The loader in the sherman is not the radio operator BTW. According to the 'StuG Rule', he then has plenty of time to fire the MG!
Is this what you differ with? I don't take your point. The TC is clearly at the left cupola position (30 cal 1919A4), and the loader is at the 50 cal. (right).

In any case, I believe the TC 30 cal would be heavy on tracer. He could mark targets for his gunners and supporting weapons.

Last edited:

Old Dog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh. My comments were not about which MG was on what pedestal on the turret, but rather which hatch was which. The pedestal mounted guns varied all kinds of ways, and were relatively easy to move around.
I don't have any opinion relative to the StuG MG. I suspect that they were as easily moved as the MGs on other AFVs, but have never seen a StuG.
The tankers I knew were not averse to making changes. "Where there's a will, there's a way".