Introduction SASL

PhilC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm relatively new to ASL but now have the basics down with half a dozen or so scenarios under my belt. I would very much like to encompass SASL into my game time. To that end, could anyone please point me towards an introduction to SASL to help with understanding the general concepts and flatten the learning curve.

Many thanks.

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
I'm not sure if it's quite what you're looking for, but the article that jumped into my head is SASL is not ASL. For what it's worth, SASL 1st edition sat on my game shelf for around 20 years b/c it looked very dry and couldn't be used to play standard scenarios (or at least that's the conventional wisdom - though I've found it not to be exactly 100% true.)

There's also a SASL comprehensive SOP johnl put together in the ASL resources section of this site you might find helpful - especially in your first several games.

I'd recommend just wading into SASL and don't worry too much about making mistakes at first (you're going to anyway and worrying won't help. I've been at SASL for the better part of a decade now and still learn/relearn stuff every time I play.)

Last edited:

ScottRomanowski

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think @Barking Monkey is right, wade in. The good thing about SASL is that no one knows when you make a mistake. The bad thing about it is that there's no one else there to catch your mistakes. Play, make mistakes, play again correcting them.

More importantly, @PhilC, play more ASL and more people. If there's a local tournament, go, even if only for part of a day.

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
There are one or two YouTube videos that show basic setup which can give you a little bit of an anchor before tackling Chapter S.

Otherwise also realize that not all of Chapter S needs to be used right from the start. Begin with Mission 1 which has the ENEMY in hold attitude and you can skip everything to do with moving S? markers. Without vehicles that’s less to worry about. Not starting a campaign cuts out more pages

Since you don’t have an opponent sitting across the table you can take lots of time sorting through the rules. So just jump in and plan to take it very slow. This is one of the nice things with SASL is that the random events can pop up things totally new to you and you have the luxury of pausing for a long time to go read that part of the rule book at your leisure. Of course if you don’t want to tackle that new thing just re-roll the random event!

The basic mechanisms become second nature just a little way into your first mission, especially using some of the resources others already mentioned.

PhilC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Many thanks.
Taking onboard the advice above .
Will post for new PBEM opponent/mentor and jumping into scenario 1 now (infantry only to reduce complexity).

PhilC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Howler. Great! I have a few pbem games experience so let's give it a shot.
I am only comfortable with chapter A at the moment but if that suits you, ping me a private message and we can get started. Thx for your response
Phil