Introduce Yourself!

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score
Nelson, 57 yeah that's right I am that old, married happily for 20 years
Welcome, Nelson!

Always nice to see another guy with a wife that 'enables' his addiction, LOL!

There's a bunch of 'dinosaurs' on this board, so you should fit right in, eh?

:clown:

basil

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cheers to all. My name is Tim. I am 40, married with a 4 year old daughter. I am a TOAW III addict with particular interest in the EA scenario, to the extent I am paroled at home long enough to get in playing time. I started wargaming about 20 years ago with board games (Axis and Allies, Squad Leader and Gulf/Agean Strike game series).

I am looking forward to finding opponents for my favorite scenario - TOAW III - Europe Aflame. I have one game moving slowly along, and am looking for another PBEM opponent.

Thanks for putting together this forum.

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Cheers to all. My name is Tim. I am 40, married with a 4 year old daughter. I am a TOAW III addict with particular interest in the EA scenario, to the extent I am paroled at home long enough to get in playing time. I started wargaming about 20 years ago with board games (Axis and Allies, Squad Leader and Gulf/Agean Strike game series).

I am looking forward to finding opponents for my favorite scenario - TOAW III - Europe Aflame. I have one game moving slowly along, and am looking for another PBEM opponent.

Thanks for putting together this forum.
Always good to see more TOAWers. :D

big ed

Reaction score
greetings, my name is ed. i teach us history and coach football (american). i've been playing wargames since the old ah games. i think afrika korps was my 1st. Currently playign toawiii (i really like EA and other big sens) and the acw series from hps. i usually play against the ai or hotseat. although i am planning on trying pbem one day. i've been with my wife for 25ish yrs. i have one son who is 17. i really enjoy reading the forum and getting others ideas and perspectives

Last edited:

Veers

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
greetings, my name is ed. i teach us history and coach football (american). i've been playing wargames since the old ah games. i think afrika korps was my 1st. Currently playign toawiii (i really like EA and other big sens) and the acw series from hps. i usually play against the ai or hotseat. although i am planning on trying pbem one day. i've been with my wife for 25ish yrs. i have one son who is 17. i really enjoy reading the forum and getting others ideas and perspectives
Are you currently playing any EA, Ed?

big ed

Reaction score
Veers, I am playing a a hot seat EA game right now. I'm in september, '41. The germans are deep in the USSR and the Afrika Korps is on the ropes in Lybia. I still have problems slowing down the germans in Russia.I kept the Russians out of Finland to free up troops. I guess its helped some.
thanks for the reply,
ed

section8

Recruit
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm an old school gamer. Weaned on Avalon Hill board games at an early age. Played many a game in to the late night versus my younger brother. Woke up the old man many an evening with our argueing ! lol
I'm 48 now and my bro 6 years younger, we have families and life's turmoils have limited our gaming and with the onset of PC's, gaming took an un-expected twist. MMORPG's became the games to play and for the most part, board games took a back seat.
Various wargames have came and went in the PC format We tried some of them and also a few MMORPG's. Nothing ever really compared. Until now.
My brother introduced me to TAOW III and I'm really enjoying it. A lot of similarity between the old school games and TAOW, gives me a comfort factor as I address the learning curve.
This is a top notch game with a good community support of mature gamers with a lot of different options. The PBEM is one of them. The ladder tournies seem interesting also.

I live in Arkansas, where men are men and chickens are scared ! lol
So needless to say the odds of finding a live stategy boardgamer opponent is like winning the lottery, let alone an intellectual one. So this game is a godsend. So please bear with my noobness as I become accumulated and I look forward to becoming more involved here, thx.

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Big Guy!

We're probably as close to being your basic old gaming club as it can get.

Feel free to ask anything, no one here will dis ya, eh?

The learning curve may seem steep, but you should find that there's always someone willing to help you along.

:clown:

Silvanski

TOAW Redux Dude
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Hello all,

I'm an old school gamer. Weaned on Avalon Hill board games at an early age.
Welcome to TOAW... I'm sure that with your boardgame pedigree you may well become a tough opponent once you mastered the mechanics of TOAW

The TOAW community is a bunch of very dedicated people ... Questions usually get a speedy feedback

BriteLite

Recruit
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm an old school gamer. Weaned on Avalon Hill board games at an early age. Played many a game in to the late night versus my younger brother. Woke up the old man many an evening with our argueing ! lol
I'm 48 now and my bro 6 years younger, we have families and life's turmoils have limited our gaming and with the onset of PC's, gaming took an un-expected twist. MMORPG's became the games to play and for the most part, board games took a back seat.
Various wargames have came and went in the PC format We tried some of them and also a few MMORPG's. Nothing ever really compared. Until now.
My brother introduced me to TAOW III and I'm really enjoying it. A lot of similarity between the old school games and TAOW, gives me a comfort factor as I address the learning curve.
This is a top notch game with a good community support of mature gamers with a lot of different options. The PBEM is one of them. The ladder tournies seem interesting also.

I live in Arkansas, where men are men and chickens are scared ! lol
So needless to say the odds of finding a live stategy boardgamer opponent is like winning the lottery, let alone an intellectual one. So this game is a godsend. So please bear with my noobness as I become accumulated and I look forward to becoming more involved here, thx.
Welcome. Like you I am an old boardgamer. TOAW3 is as close as it gets to boardgame feel. Yup me and my younger brother spent alot of nites listening to Dad demanding we shut up and go to bed. Great group of dedicated gamers here. Have fun!

jlbetin

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
As forum moderator I just want to say "Welcome Aboard"

Do not hesitate to ask as many questions as you want.
Remember there are no silly questions, but sometime answers are :smoke:

To get an opponent just open a thread in the main forum and put your request for opponent in the title

The habits in PBEM are often the following, you propose the scenario and your opponent choose the side.

For the good learing curve, try first short scenarios (1 to 40 turns max)
And do not hesitate to look at the AAR (after action report) subforum

Enjoy this community

Jean-Luc BETIN // TOAW forum moderator aka Der Wanderer

parmenio

Reaction score
Country
ll
Evening all,

Just purchased TOAW III (already own I, II & COW). Haven't done much wargaming in the last few years but having picked up and started re-reading my copy of "Decision in Normandy", I went on to the Matrix Games site to see if there were any new Overlord games out there (well new to me anyway).

I was very surprised (and pleased) to see that TOAW had been brought back from the dead. The last I remember reading about it (on Norm Koger's old site) was that he'd made Take Two a "reasonable" offer for the game engine and been rejected.

Bit of background....

I'm a 47 married with a 9 year-old son and a Software Engineer by trade. I've been wargaming all my life, starting with Donald Feartherstone's books and numerous Airfix kits / model soldiers, then micro armour on the Eastern Front, moving through the AH and SPI board game offerings and then on to PC games - Panzer General, Age of Rifles, East Front, West Front and anything else John Tiller produced (there are innumerable other games in my collection but most of them were cr*p and not worth mentioning).

TOAW was and is the best computer-based wargame I ever bought. I'm looking forward to the 3.4 patch (and most of all fixes to the ZOC and RBC/overrun issues). If there's one thing on my Christmas list for TOAW it's the ability to delegate control to Elmer. It's unfortunate that I love the monster scenarios but hate the micromanagement and my first love with wargaming is following in a commander's footsteps bringing my military history reading to life.

Sker

Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I'm Marco, 19, from Italy, student.

I'm playing TOAW since 2006 and this was the first serious wargame I have ever played. And I have still many things to learn about it.

I watched this forum for one year or so, then I finally decided to register and start posting something (not very often actually but I read a lot).

Probably I'm one of the youngest around here, but I get used to play against older opponents. I find this aspect of TOAW very istructive and interesting.

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score
Come on, people! No need to let a thread fail, eh?

There's lot's of new people on-line lately, feel welcome to introduce yourselves!

We don't bite...........

Kurt