Interesting read on how groups wage information warfare on the Internet

Sparafucil3

Staff member
First name
Jim
I don't know. Actually I find him to be a fairly skilled politician, but how he carries himself it gets easily lost in the "WTF" moment most people have when they hear him talk or tweet. At this point, I will be glad when he is gone.
Trump is either brilliant or barking mad. It is hard to tell. People are so focused on him and his behavior, they haven't paid much attention to the things he has accomplished. It reminds me of the US Army reorganization that took place at the same time they rolled out the stupid brown beret. Everyone was so focused on the stupid beret, no one notices all the cuts taking place across the board. They got their black beret back thought. -- jim

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Staff member
Administrator
First name
Don
I don't know. Actually I find him to be a fairly skilled politician, but how he carries himself it gets easily lost in the "WTF" moment most people have when they hear him talk or tweet. At this point, I will be glad when he is gone.
You know, I've often thought the same thing. However, I'm slowly coming to accept it won't make the slightest bit of difference.

Reagan was mercilessly hounded as being incompetent and a megalomaniac who would destroy the world. The media ran a story on W. Bush chewing with his mouth open and spelling cat wrong at least once a week. And Trump was painted as the sum of all fears before he even took office.

The next Republican president could be William F. Buckley with a degree in brain surgery and it wouldn't make any difference. He (or she) will be relentlessly demonized as idiotic, ill mannered, racist, and chewing on the carpet in the Oval Office when nobody is looking. This is the way the media and the left operate and it's never going to change, so you better get used to it and just accept that's the way it's going to be.

Marty Ward

You know, I've often thought the same thing. However, I'm slowly coming to accept it won't make the slightest bit of difference.

Reagan was mercilessly hounded as being incompetent and a megalomaniac who would destroy the world. The media ran a story on W. Bush chewing with his mouth open and spelling cat wrong at least once a week. And Trump was painted as the sum of all fears before he even took office.

The next Republican president could be William F. Buckley with a degree in brain surgery and it wouldn't make any difference. He (or she) will be relentlessly demonized as idiotic, ill mannered, racist, and chewing on the carpet in the Oval Office when nobody is looking. This is the way the media and the left operate and it's never going to change, so you better get used to it and just accept that's the way it's going to be.
You have to admit that Trump is much more like his characterization than either Reagan or Bush was. He does more damage to himself than any attack by the Democrats could hope to achieve.

Dave68124

I tend to agree with you, but the difference between Reagan and Bush (I & II) is that I could see their leadership abilities and willing to stand up and vote for them. I cannot say the same about Trump. As I just said on another thread, the man needs a fucking muzzle and cannot wait until he is gone, even if it means a Democrat at this point. I am so sick of the drama that he goes out of the way to create, it is not healthy for the country or the Office itself.

Martin Mayers

I tend to agree with you, but the difference between Reagan and Bush (I & II) is that I could see their leadership abilities and willing to stand up and vote for them. I cannot say the same about Trump. As I just said on another thread, the man needs a fucking muzzle and cannot wait until he is gone, even if it means a Democrat at this point. I am so sick of the drama that he goes out of the way to create, it is not healthy for the country or the Office itself.
He's turning the position of POTUS and the USA as a whole into an utter clown show and it has to stop. I know there are those who say "we don't give a shit what people outside the US think" but it's important, and deep down I think they're kidding themselves.

The guy is an utter imbecile.

Does he not have anyone within his circle of power who will reign him in? Does it not work like that?

JimWhite

Silver Supporting Member
He's turning the position of POTUS and the USA as a whole into an utter clown show and it has to stop. I know there are those who say "we don't give a shit what people outside the US think" but it's important, and deep down I think they're kidding themselves.
Yes there are many who don't give a shit...and I would bet that number is growing.

Do I agree with everything he says/tweets? Absolutely not.

But I'm thoroughly enjoying liberals and the rest of the world having meltdowns and cranial implosions every single day. My entire life I've watched politicians of both sides shit on the average American citizen...as well as a lot of the rest of the world take our money and shit on us as well. So for once I'm actually glad a politician is saying fuck that...it's America first now.

If somebody wants to say I am claiming victim status here because I'm tired of people shitting on my country...well go ahead...I hear it's all the rage today to be a victim.

Also...will the America first thing work out? Who knows? I do know that continuing on the same trajectory we've been on for decades isn't working and would definitely end in failure of my country...and by extension the rest of the civilized world.

You may now proceed to throw stones...just beware of your glass houses when you do.

Martin Mayers

Yes there are many who don't give a shit...and I would bet that number is growing.

Do I agree with everything he says/tweets? Absolutely not.

But I'm thoroughly enjoying liberals and the rest of the world having meltdowns and cranial implosions every single day. My entire life I've watched politicians of both sides shit on the average American citizen...as well as a lot of the rest of the world take our money and shit on us as well. So for once I'm actually glad a politician is saying fuck that...it's America first now.

If somebody wants to say I am claiming victim status here because I'm tired of people shitting on my country...well go ahead...I hear it's all the rage today to be a victim.

Also...will the America first thing work out? Who knows? I do know that continuing on the same trajectory we've been on for decades isn't working and would definitely end in failure of my country...and by extension the rest of the civilized world.

You may now proceed to throw stones...just beware of your glass houses when you do.
I've absolutely no idea what your last sentence means. And you do sound a little passive/aggressive 'snowflakey' here I'm afraid mate.

What about this stuff about not coming to the UK. I've never come across such a thing. What a pussy. There would have been mass demos. And I (believe it or not) don't agree with that because I still hold the US and POTUS in high regard. But, the absolute mard arse shat himself and ran. You know this right? It's fuck all to do with ribbons and embassy's and the like. It's because he's scared of the backlash. That's pretty low for a country which has carried itself throughout modern history like the US has.

Sweet Jesus. Embarrassing.

JimWhite

Silver Supporting Member
I've absolutely no idea what your last sentence means. And you do sound a little passive/aggressive 'snowflakey' here I'm afraid mate.
You see...I (and many others) no longer care what names people want to attach to me/us.

What about this stuff about not coming to the UK. I've never come across such a thing. What a pussy. There would have been mass demos. And I (believe it or not) don't agree with that because I still hold the US and POTUS in high regard. But, the absolute mard arse shat himself and ran. You know this right? It's fuck all to do with ribbons and embassy's and the like. It's because he's scared of the backlash. That's pretty low for a country which has carried itself throughout modern history like the US has.

Sweet Jesus. Embarrassing.
Ok...so it's embarrassing. To whom? I don't care anymore...so I'm off that list.

But at least the terrorist-loving mayor of London is happy...so that should count for something.

Martin Mayers

You see...I (and many others) no longer care what names people want to attach to me/us.

Ok...so it's embarrassing. To whom? I don't care anymore...so I'm off that list.

But at least the terrorist-loving mayor of London is happy...so that should count for something.
Mate cut with the faux anguish. You can dish it out just like I can. Stop being disingenuous.

You'll not get the best catch of the day from me raising the issue of the London Mayor. I can't fucking stand that bloke.

It's a sad day that Trump has rubbished the POTUS position so much that his clap trap has served to motivate what would have been probably the biggest demonstration against a visiting dignitary in this country. Jesus, we've had some absolute shit houses visit this country and there's been a handful of people protest them. This POTUS has motivated such anger that he's frightened of even showing his face. It's a sorry, fucked up situation. He's yellow.

Martin Mayers

I doubt we agree on much...but that was freekin' funny...:D
Aye.

I do (or certainly did) like Trump. I loved his straight forward manner even if I didn't agree with him. I wish he'd reel it in like 50%. I want to continue liking him. Jeez, I wish he hadn't cancelled the UK trip though. He should have fronted people out. It's not like he's going to get lynched in the streets of Islington or anything.

I mean. His shithole comment. It's not like I even disagree with that. But, again, he's POTUS, not having a chit chat to his buddies on the golf course.

Marty Ward

About 25 years ago the new Governor of Maryland referred to Marylands eastern shore as a shithouse, mostly because they didn't vote for him. I suppose if the internet had been what it is now back then he would have been hounded out of office. He was a good Governor and I voted for him for both Mayor of Baltimore and Governor.

'President Donald Trump's alleged use of the term "shithole" to refer to some countries was front-page news — and, in many newspapers, including The Baltimore Sun, the vulgarity itself ran in print. That wasn't the case 27 years ago when then-Maryland Gov. William Donald Schaefer used a similar term to describe Maryland's Eastern Shore, which went for his opponent in the preceding year's election.

As recounted by biographer C. Fraser Smith, while walking to the rostrum to deliver his fifth state of the state address, the Democratic governor spotted a delegate from a district near Ocean City, and asked him, "How's that shithouse of an Eastern Shore?"'

http://www.baltimoresun.com/feature...rk-schaefer-eastern-shore-20180112-story.html

TopT

It is not any one thing that trump says but the sum of all of his statements that give a clear picture of who or what he is.

No hyperbole intended here. If given the means: Trump would silence the media that does not agree with him, would imprison his political enemies, would deport anyone that does not comport to what he thinks an American should be/ act.

You can take all of his statements and say that he is a swell guy and the statements are just bar talk but I'll bet if you went to Berlin circa 1938 there were some gentlemen sitting in a bar saying that Hitler was a swell guy too. No joke.. This is not a democrat or Republican thing. This guy is a class 'A' piece of sh*t.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Staff member
Administrator
First name
Don
I hang out on a couple other forums, including a couple really huge ones, which have very active political sections. I rarely post on those forums, however, it is interesting to read how Trump is perceived there compared to here.

On one, opinion is pretty evenly split regarding Trump. On the other, which is mostly a bunch of proud blue-collar workers, Trump has almost achieved a kind of folk-hero status. The people there just absolutely love the way Trump speaks like a regular guy on the street and not at all like a politician. And the fact that he's willing to say things which everybody is thinking but would never say, tends gives him an air of legitimacy in the eyes of a lot of people.

Look, I've made no secret of my disdain for Trump from the very beginning. I was as guilty as anyone of failing to take him seriously, and then underestimating the unique skillset he brings to the table. I've railed against many of his decisions and openly called him a buffoon and a nitwit.

But having said all that, I have to admit there's a part of me which is forced to give him a grudging respect for the way he stands toe to toe with the media, the Washington establishment, the UN, and the thought police. They slag on him relentlessly, and he gives it right back to them with a candle on the end. He's crude, he's rude, and he speaks off-the-cuff and bluntly. At times, neither his facts nor his logic is exactly pristine. Nevertheless, he speaks openly and actually says what he's thinking, which is a damn rare thing for a politician in this day and age of rampant political correctness and hashtag "moments." In many ways he has a lot of similarities to Jimmy Hoffa. Hoffa was brash, belligerent, and very often obscene. That's certainly true. But it's also true that Hoffa was beloved, at least in part, precisely because of his raw personality and willingness to say exactly what was on his mind. And people knew, if you attacked Jimmy Hoffa you were going to get attacked back.

And despite the fact he was obscene and belligerent and offended pretty much everyone, liberals loved Hoffa. Think about that. He was the hero of the unions and the working man, and to this day there's a lot of older, working class Democrats who remember and still love Hoffa because he was a fighter. He was not afraid to get into a political knife fight, and he wasn't afraid to be wrong once in a while.

In that respect Trump is nothing new. If you look back, America has a long history of producing smashmouth politicians. Hoffa and David Crocket are obvious examples, but there were many more through the years who stirred up s*** and, for better or worse, changed the landscape in Washington. Americans sometimes tolerate the mealy-mouthed, milquetoast, UN professor type. But a lot of Americans, of all backgrounds and education levels, respond to a politician like Trump.

I've underestimated Trump in the past. But a lot of people have learned the hard way there's more to this guy than meets the eye. Whether any of us likes it or not, the truth is Washington is not changing Trump, Trump is changing Washington. And that is a very rare thing for any modern politician.

And with each passing day, the powers that be hate him more and more, and they're determined to bring him down at any cost.

Last edited:

Martin Mayers

I hang out on a couple other forums, including a couple really huge ones, which have very active political sections. I rarely post on those forums, however, it is interesting to read how Trump is perceived there compared to here.

On one, opinion is pretty evenly split regarding Trump. On the other, which is mostly a bunch of proud blue-collar workers, Trump has almost achieved a kind of folk-hero status. The people there just absolutely love the way Trump speaks like a regular guy on the street and not at all like a politician. And the fact that he's willing to say things which everybody is thinking but would never say, tends gives him an air of legitimacy in the eyes of a lot of people.

Look, I've made no secret of my disdain for Trump from the very beginning. I was as guilty as anyone of failing to take him seriously, and then underestimating the unique skillset he brings to the table. I've railed against many of his decisions and openly called him a buffoon and a nitwit.

But having said all that, I have to admit there's a part of me which is forced to give him a grudging respect for the way he stands toe to toe with the media, the Washington establishment, the UN, and the thought police. They slag on him relentlessly, and he gives it right back to them with a candle on the end. He's crude, he's rude, and he speaks off-the-cuff and bluntly. At times, neither his facts nor his logic is exactly pristine. Nevertheless, he speaks openly and actually says what he's thinking, which is a damn rare thing for a politician in this day and age of rampant political correctness and hashtag "moments." In many ways he has a lot of similarities to Jimmy Hoffa. Hoffa was brash, belligerent, and very often obscene. That's certainly true. But it's also true that Hoffa was beloved, at least in part, precisely because of his raw personality and willingness to say exactly what was on his mind. And people knew, if you attacked Jimmy Hoffa you were going to get attacked back.

And despite the fact he was obscene and belligerent and offended pretty much everyone, liberals loved Hoffa. Think about that. He was the hero of the unions and the working man, and to this day there's a lot of older, working class Democrats who remember and still love Hoffa because he was a fighter. He was not afraid to get into a political knife fight, and he wasn't afraid to be wrong once in a while.

In that respect Trump is nothing new. If you look back, America has a long history of producing smashmouth politicians. Hoffa and David Crocket are obvious examples, but there were many more through the years who stirred up s*** and, for better or worse, changed the landscape in Washington. Americans sometimes tolerate the mealy-mouthed, milquetoast, UN professor type. But a lot of Americans, of all backgrounds and education levels, respond to a politician like Trump.

I've underestimated Trump in the past. But a lot of people have learned the hard way there's more to this guy than meets the eye. Whether any of us likes it or not, the truth is Washington is not changing Trump, Trump is changing Washington. And that is a very rare thing for any modern politician.

And with each passing day, the powers that be hate him more and more, and they're determined to bring him down at any cost.
Very well put.

I was discussing Trump recently on my footie football fan messageboard. My words "If he said it, then I agree. I don't agree he should be saying such stuff as he's POTUS. But, to some, that's absolutely what attracts them. He's plain speaking for better or for worse.
How much here, do we clamor, for our politicians to speak plainly. We can't have it all ways. We can't want for our politicians to speak plainly but "only if we agree with them".

I couldn't agree more with you and I can totally understand the love affair with him by some.