Interesting read on how groups wage information warfare on the Internet

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Staff member
Administrator
First name
Don
I've been involved with Internet forums here and elsewhere for nearly twenty years, so I've seen just about every kind of debate tactic imaginable at one time or another. I've seen organized trolling, orchestrated disinformation campaigns, doxing, and all kinds of meta games. Reprehensible doesn't begin to cover it.

So it's kind of interesting to read how people have taken all these common Internet shenanigans and weaponized them for shutting down opposing political ideologies.

These are already widely available on the Internet and have been discussed to death on many other forums. Nevertheless, I thought it was an interesting topic of conversation.

Bear in mind that, regardless of political ideology or affiliation, all of these groups deny the existence of such 'playbooks' and aggressively seek to downplay them as fake news as soon as they're leaked to the public. Since these people specialize in information warfare tactics, convincing the public that they themselves don't exist is a prime directive. However, it's easy to see past that, because anyone who's ever spent any significant time perusing the comment sections of major news outlets has seen many of these trolling tactics deployed in realtime by small groups of highly organized trolls.

This particular reference is from David Brock and Democracy Matters, but there are other such works available on the Internet.

The full document can be read here, while this recap is from Dailywire (a partisan website). And here's a similar document from Chans, which of course is claimed not to even exist.

Last edited:

Doggie

When liberals cannot dispute facts, they simply lie. Should that fail, they resort to character assassination and trolling. Plenty of evidence of that from the enlightened intellectuals here.

MrP

Smile,you won didn't you?
Yep. Just one side doing that eh? Those angelic conservatives are a beacon of righteousness in a lying fake news left wing world :)
When liberals cannot dispute facts, they simply lie. Should that fail, they resort to character assassination and trolling. Plenty of evidence of that from the enlightened intellectuals here.

zgrose

Isn’t this the Trump playbook almost to a tee? What’s this have to do with liberals?

witchbottles

From FB:

About This Group
Description

This is a group of folks who fully embrace LGBT - "LibertyGunsBoobs&Trump”

I'm good for the first three, 100%. Nothing like taking some liberty with Guns and/or Boobs.....just like Trump did. ;). Oh wait, is that a sexual harassment remark? Well, there you go, now I'll just have to publicly apologize for offending the other gender, resign from my public office, and all is forgiven. Just like every other Judge, Senator, and Hollywood persona. (But not Trump... yet anyway. He's still a Bill Clinton wannabe).

JimWhite

Silver Supporting Member
...now I'll just have to publicly apologize for offending the other gender...
"Other" gender? Are you implying that there are only two of them?

You obviously have not gotten the word that there are in fact 214 genders as of last count.

Please try to keep up...:D

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
I like the tweets, they crack me up. Its much more engaging than the last president. Trump has found a way to bypass the leftist media and get his message out in real time. True, he's no Robert Frost or Cicero but at least a clear message is sent about whatever issue is at hand. What was his most egregious tweet?

Dave68124

I like the tweets, they crack me up. Its much more engaging than the last president. Trump has found a way to bypass the leftist media and get his message out in real time. True, he's no Robert Frost or Cicero but at least a clear message is sent about whatever issue is at hand. What was his most egregious tweet?
Trump needs to find an adult in the White House to actually censor his stuff. Sounds like a petulant child which is very disheartening. Looked for ways to like the guy and every time he disappoints. I cannot wait until he goes even if it means a Democrat to kick him to the curb. Fucking embarrassment.

Marty Ward

Trump needs to find an adult in the White House to actually censor his stuff. Sounds like a petulant child which is very disheartening. Looked for ways to like the guy and every time he disappoints. I cannot wait until he goes even if it means a Democrat to kick him to the curb. Fucking embarrassment.
Yes if the tweets were a little more thoughtful and a lot less frequent then they could be a good way of communicating to the people directly.

Paul M. Weir

First name
Paul
I have my button on my desk!
My button is bigger and works!
You are a dotard!
You are short and fat!
Imbecile!
Fatty!

<Bright white flash>
:facepalm:

Martin Mayers

Does he have dementia ?

Martin Mayers

It's a comedy show ?