Interesting history site

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The maps seem to use LIDAR data.

These type of maps (not with any military units of course) are available for parts of Germany with incredible detail (you can discern WW2 era trenches and craters in areas that are today overgrown forests.
A couple of years ago, I posted about that.

Current link to such maps for Nordrhein-Westfalen (one of the German states) is:

This is an example of a strech of Reichswald on the German/Dutch border.

You can see WW1 fortifications (the rectangular trenches) and WW2 fortifications (a bit further away from the border).

The website allows to to freely zoom in and out, blend over current modern maps over the LIDAR ones. Even historical maps of various times can be used.

If you want to reserach scenario terrain for, say, Operation veritable, the Rees HASL, and things like that, this site (although in German) is a true boon.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine

This would be the area of the "Hochwald Gap" which is covered in that ASL scenario with the Sturmtigers. J100 "For A Few Rounds More".

You can clearly see the potential this site has for scenario designers in need of terrain information for scenarios set in Northrhine-Guestphalia, Germany.

von Marwitz

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The maps seem to use LIDAR data.
Just curious, where did you see that? I'd like to verify that.

The historical overhead photo layer is great, but note that it comes from 1950, so might not be fully accurate for the war.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Just curious, where did you see that? I'd like to verify that.

The historical overhead photo layer is great, but note that it comes from 1950, so might not be fully accurate for the war.
The appearance of the map looks like based on LIDAR to me. Compare the below zoom-in with the examples that I have provided of the German site.

von Marwitz