Interesting debate at the Scenario Depot II

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Or as others have pointed out, it's just too difficult for the average SF player to make a scenario worth uploading anywhere.
True enough, but that's hand-in-hand with the "lack of interest" to do so. A compelling game would drive a higher scenario design rate, even if it never got as high as CMx1.

-dale

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
What all this leads me to believe is that BF is BSing about their alleged sales number and/or that almost all the people who bought CMSF got a quick thrill up there leg (or not) and then stripped it from their respective hard drives. .
BFC is not BSing about anything. Go back and read their comments carefully. Every time Steve mentions sales exceeding expectations, you will notice he never actually says what the expectations were to begin with. Perhaps that is a form of BS in itself, but its not the same as deliberately lying i.e. giving inflated sales figures. As we've discussed before, if BFC enters into production of a module and "expects" not to sell any, then sells ten units in the next 48 hours, they have "exceeded expectations."

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BFC is not BSing about anything. Go back and read their comments carefully. Every time Steve mentions sales exceeding expectations, you will notice he never actually says what the expectations were to begin with. Perhaps that is a form of BS in itself, but its not the same as deliberately lying i.e. giving inflated sales figures. As we've discussed before, if BFC enters into production of a module and "expects" not to sell any, then sells ten units in the next 48 hours, they have "exceeded expectations."
Toom-ate-oo Tom-at-oo.

Hiding the ball and spinning is BSing in my book. It may be "marketing" to BF.

Thomm

Reaction score
Country
llAustria
The fan base has not provided their items.
On the front page of the BFC forum, one new campaign (Marines) is published and another one is documented as work in progress (and looking very impressive).

Best regards,
Thomm

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On the front page of the BFC forum, one new campaign (Marines) is published and another one is documented as work in progress (and looking very impressive).

Best regards,
Thomm
Compared to at least a binder full of pages--one page each for CM x 1 operations.

I have four large overstuffed binders for the battles.

Thomm

Reaction score
Country
llAustria
Compared to at least a binder full of pages--one page each for CM x 1 operations.

I have four large overstuffed binders for the battles.
Sure. But he was talking about lack of CM:SF material. Not the fact that more material has been produced for CMx1.

Best regards,
Thomm

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sure. But he was talking about lack of CM:SF material. Not the fact that more material has been produced for CMx1.

Best regards,
Thomm
Yes, a handful is more than zero, but a handful compared to a parking lot-ful is relatively "nothing".

-dale

Thomm

Reaction score
Country
llAustria
Yes, a handful is more than zero, but a handful compared to a parking lot-ful is relatively "nothing".
Well, yes.

Although this is not quite what you wrote above, i.e., nothing in absolute terms.

Best regards,
Thomm

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

-dale
It will be interesting to see how the response to CM:Normandy compares to CM:BO, given the subject matter. I don't think anyone here is really arguing that it is a surprise that FantaSyria is not getting a lot of attention.

I think if they had been able to stick to the original plan - not saying they had any choice - but if they had simply pumped out CM:SF fast, knocked off a couple of modules in the first year of release, and moved on to Normandy by the end of 2008, we probably wouldn't even be having this conversation now. I can't believe they ever expected CM:SF to be the signature game it has by necessity become. It's been the flagship now for three years - way too much to expect of it. I can't seriously believe that was ever the plan. Even Steve posted that Normandy was supposed to be in the can by the end of 2009 at the very latest, and I don't even think that was their first revised "worst case".

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Could you imagine what it would be like if instead of that Syria garbage we now had a graphically upgraded CMx2, still with point-like squads but finer unit models, larger maps, multiplayer per side, formation commands, imported maps from user-made map editors ala Panzer Command - and being able to load CMx1 scenarios?

Boy would that suck...

Nobody would buy that.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Could you imagine what it would be like if instead of that Syria garbage we now had a graphically upgraded CMx2, still with point-like squads but finer unit models, larger maps, multiplayer per side, formation commands, imported maps from user-made map editors ala Panzer Command - and being able to load CMx1 scenarios?

Boy would that suck...

Nobody would buy that.
It's still to be seen what anyone will buy; it may be that the whole genre has ground to a halt. But of course ... perhaps that is the "expectation" that keeps getting "exceeded." The next six months will be very interesting for both BFC and Matrix.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BFC came to the same conclusion. Best regards,
Thomm
I'm sure he was being sarcastic no matter what he says. We all would much rather have whatever that quasi-modern/Sci-Fi game CM:SF is that no one plays... except alone in his basement.

But then BFC is what BFC has become so who can tell.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The answer Ive seen to the lack of scenarios is that theres actually plenty of them, we were given to many in CM-1 and they all involved Wittman and were very poor. Now Steve is saying that the quality is much higher even though the quanity may be down.

He was tongue in cheek about Wittman but I think I got his drift. I think the fact is plain and simple in that there were hundreds of CM-1 scenarios becuase they were easier to do and there were a lot more guys doing them. I think there may only be about ten guys at BF making any kind of scenarios.
Not sure who all is making CMSF scenarios but one of the best CM designers of all time is. George Mc is an incredible designer.

Good Hunting.

MR

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BFC came to the same conclusion.

Best regards,
Thomm
Yeah--great choice for a single programmer shop.

Why begin with your new engine with guaranteed sales to virtually all of your CM x 1 customer base just for starters?

How many games could they have released and sold in the almost 7 years since CMAK?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Not sure who all is making CMSF scenarios but one of the best CM designers of all time is. George Mc is an incredible designer.

Good Hunting.

MR
Not that I think he is, but if I said George Mc was one of the worst "CM designers of all time", just out of curiosity, how would you "prove" me wrong?

Bearing in mind that the only place such things are 'rated' is on one fan site - that doesn't rate the 'official' release disc scenarios. Which ostensibly are the 'professional' ones.

Thomm

Reaction score
Country
llAustria
We all would much rather have whatever that quasi-modern/Sci-Fi game CM:SF is that no one plays...
Oh, I guess that has been made quite clear here over the years.

The problem is that you wanting something does not make BFC stay in business. Perhaps it is the guys playing alone in the basement that pay the bills.

Fact is, that BFC recovered from the perhaps worst possible start for CMx2, they seem to have enough stamina to sit out enormous deadline slips while expanding at the same time (second programmer) and they are in the process of releasing three games in a few months timeframe, one of them having been produced by a partner.

Seems that they are doing something right.

Best regards,
Thomm