Interest in systems.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I always like your reviews of Euro games. I am trying to get my 50/ 60 year old group to try some of these. I believe you talked about Pandemic and I went out and bought that. Great game! Gloomhaven might be another.
The base game of Gloomhaven weighs 24 lbs. The experience system and campaign is just a joy to play. I call it fantasy ASL, because the card play and battles on the hex based dungeons are extremely tactical. I'm currently in two campaigns. Have played 32 scenarios with two of my sons, and 4 scenarios with a couple of ASL buddies. If your friends like ASL they'll like Gloomhaven.

Besides the base game you should get the removable sticker set, so you can remove the stickers and start again or play a second campaign. My oldest son bought it after playing it and he has played campaigns with his video gaming friends of which two of them went out and bought it. Both my ASL buddies bought it after playing it.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recommend moving this thread to Chit-Chat as it has devolved into a discussion with little or no ASL value; may as well talk about D&D (good concepts, but not germane).

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recommend moving this thread to Chit-Chat as it has devolved into a discussion with little or no ASL value; may as well talk about D&D (good concepts, but not germane).
Hmmm... From the original post,

"Another gaming system which come close to ASL in ingenuity is D&D."

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Am not impressed by the name of that game - Gloomhaven - I mean come on.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For those interested in the USMC point just upstream...

(for less capable amphibious fleet...read "no well decks"...and everything that goes with that....ie forcible entry....and this leads to why have a USMC at all...)

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For those interested in the USMC point just upstream...

(for less capable amphibious fleet...read "no well decks"...and everything that goes with that....ie forcible entry....and this leads to why have a USMC at all...)
Gotta love the newer USMC recruiting advertisements! Kind of like "We go and kick ass and don't bother to take names, God 'ell sort 'em out!"?:love: (this from an old Army puke no less)o_O

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Am not impressed by the name of that game - Gloomhaven - I mean come on.
It's the name of the town that the campaign is centered around. Frosthaven the sequel to Gloomhaven will go on Kickstarter on March 24.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
The base game of Gloomhaven weighs 24 lbs. The experience system and campaign is just a joy to play. I call it fantasy ASL, because the card play and battles on the hex based dungeons are extremely tactical. I'm currently in two campaigns. Have played 32 scenarios with two of my sons, and 4 scenarios with a couple of ASL buddies. If your friends like ASL they'll like Gloomhaven.

Besides the base game you should get the removable sticker set, so you can remove the stickers and start again or play a second campaign. My oldest son bought it after playing it and he has played campaigns with his video gaming friends of which two of them went out and bought it. Both my ASL buddies bought it after playing it.
Have you played it solo at all? If so, is it worth it? We're playing Pandemic: Legacy right now and with the time that's taking, I think GH is an unrealistic ask for my gaming group, so I haven't bought it, but I'm wondering if GH is worth it to play solo.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have you played it solo at all? If so, is it worth it? We're playing Pandemic: Legacy right now and with the time that's taking, I think GH is an unrealistic ask for my gaming group, so I haven't bought it, but I'm wondering if GH is worth it to play solo.
I was checking ot out for solo as well. It would be great for a group but these 50+ year olds probably would not take the bite. Who knows???

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, I've played it solo. I played two of the characters at the same time.

It's completely addicting and thought provoking. After I play I'm always spreading out my cards trying to figure out my best starting hand. Lots of options and lots of characters. A brilliant game.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Call of Cthuhlu is my jam. GM'ing two CoC games and DM'ing one D&D game. Life is good.