Interdiction

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
Seems to me that Interdiction rarely happens. Is this true? It almost never comes up. Am I missing something?

If a HIP/Concealed unit is revealed it could happen. If the situation makes you desperate to get away you might just risk it.

If you are adjacent................ you usually surrender or have a convenient rout away. No quarter means you can Low Crawl if there are no other options. If you just can't get away from adjacent units you are eliminated.

If you are not adjacent................ you can remain in place if not open ground. If you are in open ground you could just Low Crawl.

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Usually there is a way to avoid interdiction, but sometimes it is necessary. You may not be able to surrender (only an AFV adjacent, NQ, OG) and you don't want to LC since it means you are still in the open.

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
Well Interdiction just about never comes up when I'm playing. But then I have only been at this for a year.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Usually there is a way to avoid interdiction, but sometimes it is necessary. You may not be able to surrender (only an AFV adjacent, NQ, OG) and you don't want to LC since it means you are still in the open.
... and sometimes you'll just miss a LOS and wander out in the open

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Or you may decide to risk interdiction to get your troops far enough away that they have a chance of rally before they are attacked again.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I once had an opponent (the lucky B#%#@!) that had all but lost the scenario "Night Drop" and intentionally routed several units requiring them to take an interdiction MC on the off-hand chance that he'd get a HOB result (he did and won the scenario because of it. The bugger).o_O
We still laugh about it today MANY years later.:LOL:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Well Interdiction just about never comes up when I'm playing. But then I have only been at this for a year.
Interdiction is not exactly common. But in my experience, it is not a rarity either.

For example, it can occur quite frequently in a city fight if you are pushing the enemy from South to North, breaking his guys to that he need to rout across a street. If you can exert fire along that street (running West to East), for example a MG trying to cut off paths of retreat or reinforcement, there you'll have it. Often, the MGs of a tank will serve the purpose very well as they can move fast and have long range, so they can interdict oftentimes without exposing themselves to the proximity of enemy infantry in such situations.

Let us assume all Buildings are Ground Level only and that the Victory Conditions require the Germans to gain Casualty Victory Points (and as per standard A26.222 Prisoners are worth double CVP at game end). Such type of Victory Condition is quite common.

The Russian Conscript brokie in N5 is not required to rout, because no Germans are ADJACENT. However, being DM and having a broken Morale of 5 and no Leader around, he is highly unlikely to Self Rally next turn (provided it would be the Russian half-turn and the Russian may self-rally a MMC at all). What's likely going to happen is that the Germans will likely move in to bag the broken Conscripts before they can get away which would the be worth 4 CVP for the Germans at game end.

The tank in P0 can interdict by CMG (not by MA because he is BU) all the way from P1, P2, O3 - O7, N7 - N9. The Russian realizes this. If he wanted to rout nevertheless, his broken Conscripts would have to cross the street in O5, being subject to Interdiction there, towards P5.

This might still be a good idea. Likely, the broken Conscripts will fail their Interdiction MC and be Casualty Reduced (giving the Germans only 1 CVP), but the surviving broken HS can continue its Rout and escape highly probable Capture by the Germans next turn.

von Marwitz

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The one drawback with interdicting with an AFV is if one has to use the CMG to do so, you may be required to lose acquisition if you're interdicting a different target than the one that may have been acquired.

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
For example...
von Marwitz
I have only relatively recently joined Gamesquad (perhaps the typical story, early ASL player, long time out of the hobby, getting back into it over the last few years). I was reading another thread about biggest contributors to ASL, made me think about all the players here such as von Marwitz and others who take the time not just to answer a question, but to put together a VASL example to perfectly illustrate it. Thankyou!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have only relatively recently joined Gamesquad (perhaps the typical story, early ASL player, long time out of the hobby, getting back into it over the last few years). I was reading another thread about biggest contributors to ASL, made me think about all the players here such as von Marwitz and others who take the time not just to answer a question, but to put together a VASL example to perfectly illustrate it. Thankyou!
Thank you for your kind words.

But truth be told, I am far, very far from ranking among the biggest contributors to ASL.

When I discovered Gamesquad in 2010, it was a relevation to me and since then I have learned so much (but far from enough...) by the answers that rules gurus, among which I cannot count myself, patiently and promptly gave even on the obscurest topics. Elaborating on and illustrating things now an then is just a way to give something back.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
Interdiction is not exactly common. But in my experience, it is not a rarity either.

For example, it can occur quite frequently in a city fight if you are pushing the enemy from South to North, breaking his guys to that he need to rout across a street. If you can exert fire along that street (running West to East), for example a MG trying to cut off paths of retreat or reinforcement, there you'll have it. Often, the MGs of a tank will serve the purpose very well as they can move fast and have long range, so they can interdict oftentimes without exposing themselves to the proximity of enemy infantry in such situations.

View attachment 14235
Let us assume all Buildings are Ground Level only and that the Victory Conditions require the Germans to gain Casualty Victory Points (and as per standard A26.222 Prisoners are worth double CVP at game end). Such type of Victory Condition is quite common.

The Russian Conscript brokie in N5 is not required to rout, because no Germans are ADJACENT. However, being DM and having a broken Morale of 5 and no Leader around, he is highly unlikely to Self Rally next turn (provided it would be the Russian half-turn and the Russian may self-rally a MMC at all). What's likely going to happen is that the Germans will likely move in to bag the broken Conscripts before they can get away which would the be worth 4 CVP for the Germans at game end.

The tank in P0 can interdict by CMG (not by MA because he is BU) all the way from P1, P2, O3 - O7, N7 - N9. The Russian realizes this. If he wanted to rout nevertheless, his broken Conscripts would have to cross the street in O5, being subject to Interdiction there, towards P5.

This might still be a good idea. Likely, the broken Conscripts will fail their Interdiction MC and be Casualty Reduced (giving the Germans only 1 CVP), but the surviving broken HS can continue its Rout and escape highly probable Capture by the Germans next turn.

von Marwitz
Dang. Even a picture. Thanks.

Yes, that is an example of what I meant when I said "desperate to get away". You know you will die if you stay and/or give up VP so you risk the sprint across open ground anyways. So OK maybe more common than I was pronouncing.

Yes, many times it seems the best use for tanks is mobile MG platforms to interdict/block routs/prevent concealment/etc. Any main gun hits on infantry in buildings is just a bonus.