Intensive Fire of MA during Defensive Final Fire?

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If a tank fires it's main armament for the first time (this turn) during defensive final fire and fails to get rate can it then use intensive fire to get another shot? If so, could that 2nd shot (of IF) be directed at any target, even one that is not adjacent and/or farther away then other closer enemy units?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
If a tank fires it's main armament for the first time (this turn) during defensive final fire and fails to get rate can it then use intensive fire to get another shot? If so, could that 2nd shot (of IF) be directed at any target, even one that is not adjacent and/or farther away then other closer enemy units?
No, it may not IF in this situation. -- jim

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
To elaborate: You can only defensive fire "if the crew of the Gun is not pinned, shocked, stunned, or marked with a Final/Intensive Fire counter." (C5.6). If you fire during the DFPh and don't get ROF, you are marked with "Final Fire", so IF is forbidden.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Due to a weird little nuance of juist what marker gets put on ordnance in what phase and what it can or cannot do when marked with said marker,.... if a gun does not start it's Final Fire Phase marked with a First Fire marker, it cannot intensive fire in that Final Fire Phase.

Don't think about it. Don't try to understand it. Most of all, do not try to rationalize it.

Just go onto the next unit to fire......

gorkowskij

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A ha! The J7 errata answers the question.

CS.6: line 3, replace "or stunned" with "stunned, or marked with a Final/Intensive Fire counter".

Ergo, the errata adds a statement that explicitly prevents IF after firing and missing rate in defensive final fire.

Thanks
John G

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I find this rule a bit puzzling as it makes final fire for the defender and prep fire for the attacker different...I had it in my head they were analogous.

the good thing is that the rule is crystal clear.

indy

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I think of this as another of those rules intended to limit the omniscience of the players - you can certainly IF as a defender, you just have to to it in, or already have fired in, your opponent's MPh when you haven't had the benefit of seeing all their moves before deciding on your course of action.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I find this rule a bit puzzling as it makes final fire for the defender and prep fire for the attacker different...I had it in my head they were analogous.
Most people had the same impression.
But the fact that the Gun may have fired, sometimes more than once, before the DFPh, makes it slightly different.
And defensive fire, whether first or final, still is some way of reaction to the enemy's moves, while PFPh depicts - as its name says - some preparatory, suppressing fire...
That said, the sequential aspect of an ASL turn wrecks most of our reasonings about the way events and actions interact.

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Most people had the same impression.
But the fact that the Gun may have fired, sometimes more than once, before the DFPh, makes it slightly different.
And defensive fire, whether first or final, still is some way of reaction to the enemy's moves, while PFPh depicts - as its name says - some preparatory, suppressing fire...
That said, the sequential aspect of an ASL turn wrecks most of our reasonings about the way events and actions interact.
Yes, it does make sense to me now...well, I might be lying (and I'm just used to it), but I'm fine with it as the rule is quite clear.

I was a-mazed at what I discovered when I started reading the rules carefully!

indy