Intensive fire and malfunction

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
If I Intensive Fire a gun and roll a 10 on the To Hit is the shot still effective despite the gun malfunctioning if a 10 would otherwise be a hit? A9.7 talks about attacks involving SW still being resolved but there's no specific reference to Ordnance. The only reference I can find in Chapter C is 2.28 on Gun breakdown which refers back to A9.7 saying all normal malfunction and repair provisions apply.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
If I Intensive Fire a gun and roll a 10 on the To Hit is the shot still effective despite the gun malfunctioning if a 10 would otherwise be a hit?
Yes. Per the rules you list below.

A9.7 talks about attacks involving SW still being resolved but there's no specific reference to Ordnance. The only reference I can find in Chapter C is 2.28 on Gun breakdown which refers back to A9.7 saying all normal malfunction and repair provisions apply.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
What Klas says.

It will give you at least some satisfaction when you malf/X your gun and still hit despite rolling Boxcars.
Remember it next time, when you have a Sturmtiger with a 10-2 Armor leader firing at Infantry crossing a Boulevard or Runway... ;)

von Marwitz

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
It will, however, not leave any RFP.
Probably it doesn't need to... ?

However, it seems all but guaranteed by Murphy's Law that if you'll ever face this situation, your IFT Effects DR will be a 12 resulting in a Dud. Arguably, you should be very dead even if hit by a 726 lb. Dud, but in a glitch of attention, this seems to have been overlooked by the rules-Gods.

Think you cannot be kicked by Murphy any harder than that? Think again!

You might roll an 11 on the IFT Resolution and get a -3DRM for your 380mm shell (originally designed, mind you, to blow submarines out of the water...). This will cause a 4MC, on which your opponent will - what else - get Heat of Battle ending up with a battle hardened unit and an extra Hero with the added benefit of surely being deaf and unable to hear your curses.

On the bright side, you would step out of obscurity and into ASL-folklore forever...

von Marwitz

P.S.

You think it is so improbable it can never happen? Think again!

I still remember rolling in succession Boxcars when firing first the MA, then the CMG, then the BMG of a Pz IV followed up by a 6 on the MA Repair roll to Recall it. The scenario happend to be named "Insult to Injury"...
But I digress. It is almost five times as probable to live through the Sturmpanzer nightmare [EXC: You die of spontaneous heart-attack.] than through this Pz IV incident that has actually happened to me...

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Always had a good chuckle when I have to think of a Dud inert AP round. WHAT?!:LOL:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
15. 7.35 DUD: This rule generically encompasses another minor aspect of fate; i.e., rounds that fail to detonate or shatter harmlessly upon impact, and also those that strike a glancing blow or hit a non-vital part of an AFV (such as a stowage bin).

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I watched a guy lose a game at a club day in Australia cause he though his 200mm HE Bomb was a ""Dud"''.
and he took his bat and ball home when he rolled a 12 (I think it should have been a 1MC from memory)
Might not have been a sure win
But did alway get me to remember that its only AP that have duds

Last edited:

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
AP may not have duds when the resolution is on the IFT...
But 2 FP or CH 4 FP attacks with boxcars have no effect.

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
Is there possibility of CH when using AP equivalence vs Inf targets? I remember a rule not allowing CH in this case but no way to find it..

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Is there possibility of CH when using AP equivalence vs Inf targets? I remember a rule not allowing CH in this case but no way to find it..
HE equivalency doesn't leave Residual Fire (C8.31), but I see nowhere that AP on the ITT could not apply a CH.
Which simply can mean that I didn't spot a rule prohibiting it.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I believe AP can score CH using ITT. I've certainly parked a tank beside a pillbox NCA and achieved this.

buser333

Reaction score
Looks like C3.71 actually specifically allows this by mentioning HE Equivalency. Like Miguel, I always thought this was n/a.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
That is perfectly ok.

This tactic may be of use if you want to root out Pillboxes when they are very difficult to approach by friendly infantry but the enemy within is incapable of doing much against tanks. In such a case, the tank may just drive up ADJACENT to the Pillbox hex and fire AP at it. Per B30.35, the neither CA, NCA Pillbox Modifier nor TEM applies if your gun is not minuscule:

"B30.35 AP: Neither the CA nor the NCA Defense Modification nor other TEM applies to an AP/APCR/APDS attack against a pillbox/its-contents, provided the Basic TK# of that ammo type being fired is > twice the Defense Modification that would otherwise apply. An AP/APCR/APDS hit on a pillbox is resolved using the normal HE-Equivalency rules (C8.31)."

At double point blank range with a -2 Acquisition firing on the ITT, your chances of hitting the PB-occupants are very good with 2 flat shots (and maybe Multiple Hits). Your chances of getting a CH are surprisingly good under these circumstances as well: You need to roll less than half of the Modified TH# (which is 8), however, Firer Based modifiers are -4 (Double Point Blank and Double AQ). So if I got it right, you'd get a CH on a Final DR of a 7 or less (!). The AP CH is then calculated as per HE equivalency, i.e. 2 doubled to 4 for guns 37mm or greater. Note B30.35, though.

Per the following Q&A, if you get a CH, the Pillbox TEM is not reversed:

B30.112, B30.35, & C3.71
Question:

A gun fires at a Pillbox through the CA (B30.112) using AP (B30.35) and scores a CH. What is the reversed TEM (C3.71) that would apply to the IFT resolution of that CH?
Answer:
The TEM to reverse is the TEM used, zero.

Question:
For general CH application, is the reversed TEM of C3.71 always that TEM that applied to the shot that resulted in the CH?
Answer:
In this case, that is the case.

Bottom line:
Your chances with an AFV might be no too bad, to score a 4 flat vs. the occupants of an otherwise impervious Pillbox.

von Marwitz

Last edited: