Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Overall
Dull, repetitive, and missing key features, with repetitive strain injury the most serious issue.

GUI
The control interface overlays are bright and attractive, but provide no real information to the player other than a reminder of the sequence of the numbered buttons on the controller. The brown and blue are hard to distinguish from each other, especially in a darkened room, but one memorizes the run/kick/pass keys quickly in any event, so the difficulty seeing these keys is a small issue.

The bulk of the information necessary for play is contained in a separate pamphlet - a "playbook" (two of which are provided with the game).

Before each play, the offensive player can tell the computer which offensive formation to use as well as whether to run or pass the ball; if the latter, he also selects the receiver and the reception zone. It may sound complicated but after a while, it become second nature programming the office, and favourite plays become routine. But, the limited number of available options also makes this simpler.

There is unfortunately no way to save games in progress.

The worst part of the interface is of course the controller; the disc is crude and the action buttons are worse; "Blackberry thumb" will set in after a couple of quarters of determined gameplay, and the game requires constant use of the action buttons for passing and kicking the ball.

Gameplay
It's odd that the NFL would give this a stamp of endorsement; the game in no way resembles the actual game. There are only five players on the field on each team. There is no opportunity to block kicks, intercept passes, attempt an onside kick, or an unconventional scrimmage. Touchdowns are automatically converted.

With no type of save function, there is no form season play available. There are also no coaching functions, individual attributes, player substitutions, injuries, alternate camera angles, penalties, or for that matter, single-player or online play. This is 2-player only, one game at a time. No specific teams are depicted, and the crowd cheers as loudly for the visitors as they do for the home team!

Graphics and sound
Graphics are hopelessly outdated, and appear about 25 years old. No specific teams are rendered, with one team in blue and the other in red - control players are vividly set off by black or gold. The camera pans over the field from left or right, dividing it into segments, television style, though the field is warped into an unrealistically long field which is severely out of proportion and far longer than it is wide. The animations are outdated as well, and the players seem to be running in slow motion at times; collision detection seems poor and judging what is a tackle and what is not is iffy at times. Long chases are possible but made slightly surreal by the agonizing crawl of the animated depictions. Perhaps needless to say, the sound is just as crude, with annoying beeps and boops to indicate plays have been entered. Other sound effects are mostly inappropriate - there are no gladiatorial crashes off the line of scrimmage, just a strange, alien whistling if the ball (a glowing white dot, in this instance) gets thrown.

Conclusion
Okay as a diversion if the PC is in the repair shop. And you're trapped on a desert island with your console, a supply of electricity, a working television, and literally nothing else to do. But bring a pad of paper and a pen to record the results of your season - Intellivision won't keep track of a damn thing for you.

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Are you guys serious? :laugh: That game came out when the *only* competition was the Atari 2600 - anyone wanna post a screenie of their football at the time? I had an intellivision when they first came out (paid $430 back in the late 70s iirc) and it took ALOT of papers delivered to earn that kind of coin.

The controller was revolutionary for the time, and speaking as someone that put in about 6 hours a day (more on weekends) I never had any issues.

viridomaros

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
Are you guys serious? :laugh: That game came out when the *only* competition was the Atari 2600 - anyone wanna post a screenie of their football at the time? I had an intellivision when they first came out (paid $430 back in the late 70s iirc) and it took ALOT of papers delivered to earn that kind of coin.

The controller was revolutionary for the time, and speaking as someone that put in about 6 hours a day (more on weekends) I never had any issues.
I found you again!!
Where's my EA turn? :whist:
You know you can't hide :laugh:

grall1126

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played this game at my friends when it came out, for those of you over 40, this is all we had, unless you wanted to play pong or donkey kong, it was fun while thats all we had, i remember playing football on the commodore which was fun

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I played this game at my friends when it came out, for those of you over 40, this is all we had, unless you wanted to play pong or donkey kong, it was fun while thats all we had, i remember playing football on the commodore which was fun
Well, short of doing something crazy like going outside to play with an actual football of course. :nuts:

grall1126

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
good comment dorosh, go play outside without some adult calling you every 5 minutes asking where youa re? damn kids these days couldnt survive 5 minutes outside playing parent would call all the time with johniies cell phone in his back pocket

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
good comment dorosh, go play outside without some adult calling you every 5 minutes asking where youa re? damn kids these days couldnt survive 5 minutes outside playing parent would call all the time with johniies cell phone in his back pocket
We had to tape a dime into our underwear. Back when you could make a phone call for a dime.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I remember playing this and baseball with my cousin back in the early 80s. We thought it was cool back then. Sure has come a long way with Madden for the XBOX & PS2 or 3.

freightshaker

Reaction score
My Intellivision (with voice modulator) and all my cartridges are still at my mothers. I wonder if it still works...

As usual, I'm sure the memory of playing is much better than actually playing.

Pandur

Reaction score
Country
llAustria
lol i guess this system was long outdated by the time i was born and i never saw one. most probably there where none to get in europe anyway.

whatever, what sold me on this system was this youtube vid i found, wich left me watching it repeatedly for at least 30 minutes, i was shaking in laughter about 35 years after this game was made!!! man that had to be fun!

B-17 BOAAMWAAA

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I hear Mattel is getting close to finishing the Keyboard Component.