Installing VASL extensions

rwcallen

Librarian at the Gates
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry if this is an obvious question, not a strong computer user.

I tried to install a VASL 6.0.1 extension via Vassal 3.2.9 (right click on VASL module and choose add extension), but Vassal tells me it isn't a valid extension. I downloaded both the secret DR extension and the cloaking display extension from the Github site folder with the VASL 6.0 extensions, and pointed Vassal to these files when I tried to install them. Also tried manually copying the cloaking display extension into my VASL extensions folder with no luck. Can someone tell me if I am doing this wrong, or if the extension doesn't work with the newest release yet?

Thanks in advance,
Bob

bkemp01

Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States
Sorry if this is an obvious question, not a strong computer user.

I tried to install a VASL 6.0.1 extension via Vassal 3.2.9 (right click on VASL module and choose add extension), but Vassal tells me it isn't a valid extension. I downloaded both the secret DR extension and the cloaking display extension from the Github site folder with the VASL 6.0 extensions, and pointed Vassal to these files when I tried to install them. Also tried manually copying the cloaking display extension into my VASL extensions folder with no luck. Can someone tell me if I am doing this wrong, or if the extension doesn't work with the newest release yet?

Thanks in advance,
Bob
This can be tricky because it depends on how the extension was packaged for download. Sometimes the file must be un-zipped, other times it must be renamed to use a .mdx or .vmdx file name extension.

rwcallen

Librarian at the Gates
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
This is what I tried today with the github extensions and which apparently worked:

- Go to the github site.
- Click on the desired Extension
- Then select the "Raw" tab.
- You should be prompted where to download the file.
- I saved it into a folder named "Extensions" which is located in the same parent directory as the Boards.
- The Extensions show as "[Filename].mdx"
- Restart VASL.
- Done.

I have not yet checked other extensions from another source that I formerly used with v5.9.3 because I hope I get some feedback regarding my other recently started thread on the Extension / v6.0.1 matter. But my best guess is that copy/paste from the former v5.9.3 Extension folder to the v6.0.x Extension folder with VASL restart afterwards should do the trick if they are compatible.

von Marwitz

rwcallen

Librarian at the Gates
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is what I tried today with the github extensions and which apparently worked:

- Go to the github site.
- Click on the desired Extension
- Then select the "Raw" tab.
- You should be prompted where to download the file.
- I saved it into a folder named "Extensions" which is located in the same parent directory as the Boards.
- The Extensions show as "[Filename].mdx"
- Restart VASL.
- Done.

I have not yet checked other extensions from another source that I formerly used with v5.9.3 because I hope I get some feedback regarding my other recently started thread on the Extension / v6.0.1 matter. But my best guess is that copy/paste from the former v5.9.3 Extension folder to the v6.0.x Extension folder with VASL restart afterwards should do the trick if they are compatible.

von Marwitz
Thank you!

The above worked perfectly, except I wasn't prompted (in Chrome) to select a saw location when clicking on the Raw tab, I had to right click and manually specify 'save link as' to browse to the correct location.

Somebody rep this man for me, I'm all out!